PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice for newbe!!

Giovanni88
14-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi everybody,

Firstly id just like to say how glad i am to come across this forum and it looks great guys.

Right, well im 26years of age and after working for an engineering company as a electromechanical assembly worker for the past 4 years im looking to change to something more 'long term'. The reason i say that is because i am not qualified in anyway and i am simply there through hard work after being given a chance. Ive worked my way to earning 28k a year basic which is reasonable consindering everyone else i work with are fully qualified and apprentice served engineers. I am worried about my lack of ANY qualifications because if i would lose my job id be back to minimum wage in a dead end job with 2 kids to provide for.

So ive decided that i want to get into air con and refrigeration in the long term. I am looking to do everning college part time for 2 years at a level 2.
I am aware that at some point i am going to have to take a massive pay cut to get my foot in the door as a trainee or something earning minimum wage until i gain experience which will be tough but just about manageable. I do have a couple of questions if anybody could help...

Is air con and refrigeration considered to be job in demand? Or are the a massive amount of qualified guys with a real lack of jobs?

Is it possible to do my entire coarse without being employed in the industry? I know it would be advantageous but is it nessesary? I would be looking to find a job once qualified at level 2 with f gas.

Can anybody reccomend any books/literature to gain a good solid understanding of the basics and to gain good knowlege from the basics upwards?.

Thanks everyone, really glad i came across this site, any advice is appreciated as ive got to do this and make it work!, failure is not an option!!!

Josip
16-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Hi, Giovanni88 :)

Welcome to RE forums ...

Hi everybody,

Firstly id just like to say how glad i am to come across this forum and it looks great guys.

Right, well im 26years of age and after working for an engineering company as a electromechanical assembly worker for the past 4 years im looking to change to something more 'long term'. The reason i say that is because i am not qualified in anyway and i am simply there through hard work after being given a chance. Ive worked my way to earning 28k a year basic which is reasonable consindering everyone else i work with are fully qualified and apprentice served engineers. I am worried about my lack of ANY qualifications because if i would lose my job id be back to minimum wage in a dead end job with 2 kids to provide for.

So ive decided that i want to get into air con and refrigeration in the long term. I am looking to do everning college part time for 2 years at a level 2.
I am aware that at some point i am going to have to take a massive pay cut to get my foot in the door as a trainee or something earning minimum wage until i gain experience which will be tough but just about manageable. I do have a couple of questions if anybody could help...

Is air con and refrigeration considered to be job in demand? Or are the a massive amount of qualified guys with a real lack of jobs?

Is it possible to do my entire coarse without being employed in the industry? I know it would be advantageous but is it nessesary? I would be looking to find a job once qualified at level 2 with f gas.

Can anybody reccomend any books/literature to gain a good solid understanding of the basics and to gain good knowlege from the basics upwards?.

Thanks everyone, really glad i came across this site, any advice is appreciated as ive got to do this and make it work!, failure is not an option!!!

I do believe some of very experienced members here will come with some good advice for you ...

I wish you a good luck ...

Best regards, Josip :)

jonjon
16-11-2014, 08:17 PM
You're going to need to have some work experience to complete your nvq , I believe now it's split into ac and refrigeration.it is a reasonably in demand job but be prepared to work long hours in terrible conditions for low pay to start but with experience comes money apprently !

Gaz22
17-11-2014, 07:57 PM
I was once like you, a 26 year old with 2 kids doing similar job to you and i was earning £24k a year, i decided to go college in the evening for 2 years and working with a guy on weekend for experience. At the end of the 2 years i was qualified and i got a job earning £14k a year and that was a big drop in salary and i was doing it for a year, i was in alot of pressure to do well and learn to progress as i had a family and on my second year after being qualified i was earning £26k and on the 4th year i was earning £32 And right now its just over £40k (its double with the over time) if i have not done what i have done my basic right now would have been around £26k
I can tell you for sure that there is a huge shortage in good refrigeration engineers and some companies in london are prepared to pay up to £50k basic for a very good engineer and even if your bad you will still get £28k £32k with lots of over time.
You can study city and guilds 7189 diploma and you can do it with out working.
As for books, i would highly recommend Commercial Refrigeration For Air Conditioning Technician by **** wirz it costs around £50 but if u look around you will find it free on pdf,