PDA

View Full Version : PHE leakage

mre212
04-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Dears,

I use Calcium Chloride as secondary coolant for ice cream machine but the problem I face more than one time leakage on PHE so please can you advise me if there is any special treatment for Calcium Chloride solution and how can I avoid this damage

Thanks & Regards

RANGER1
04-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Mee212,
Can you explain where you find the leaks, is it gasket or plate damage.
Are the plates made of titanium?

mre212
04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Dear RANGER1,

First thank you for your reply

the leak from plates there is no gasket and the plates made from DC04 (CS)

Regards

Josip
04-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi, mre212 :)

Dears,

I use Calcium Chloride as secondary coolant for ice cream machine but the problem I face more than one time leakage on PHE so please can you advise me if there is any special treatment for Calcium Chloride solution and how can I avoid this damage

Thanks & Regards

Unfortunately, there is no chemical treatment for CaCl2 to be less corrosive ... the only way is to install special heat exchanger made of titanium (quite expensive solution) and interconnecting pipes of PEH-high density polyethylene from HE to ice cream machine ...

PEH pipes are

easy and light weighted
long living
low friction
relatively cheap
flexible
sun resistant .....

more about here:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/peh-chemical-resistance-d_329.html

in another hand it is easy and cheap to repair your HE made of CS ....

Hope this will help you ...

Best regards, Josip :)

RANGER1
04-11-2014, 09:01 PM
mre12
You mention no gaskets, is it a fully welded plate heat exchanger (PHE), or which type?
Also what refrigerant are you using.

In some cases change complete set of plates (gaskets) when you develop leak.
Used plates could be checked over & reconditioned by PHE expert company.

Titanium plates were difficult to get a few years ago, with 1 year wait, do not know know now though.

josip may confirm, but also check PH level in your brine, not sure remember something as apprentice last century.

mre212
08-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Thank you Guys,

please which better to use with Calcium Chloride solution PHE made from SMO254 or Titanium

Dear RANGER1
we use R22 but we intend to change it by R404a

Regards