PDA

View Full Version : intermittent starting fridge/freezer

mrmtata
16-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi guys,
i have a problem with a domestic fridge freezer, namely when the unit is switched on it will click quietly into life, run the compressor for around 5 seconds and then with a loud click will switch off.
With the unit on there is power all the time at the control panel but the compressor only switches on about once every 5-10 mins, like i say for about 5 seconds at a time.
This unit is only 2 years old but is out of warranty, any advice before i purchase a new one would be much appreciated.
cheers
mrmtata

chillin out
16-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi mate,

Sounds like the comp is goosed.

You could try and buy a new starter for it (relay) but it's probebly not worth it.

Try switching it off for 24hours and then test it again.

Make sure there is plenty air flow for the hot bit at the back (condensor).

Chillin:) :)

t-bone
17-04-2006, 04:12 AM
I would try a 3-in-one start kit before you trash it. Kit cost about twenty dollars or so.

frank
17-04-2006, 06:56 AM
This sounds like the classic case of the R134a blocked capillary :D

Stat calls, compressor kicks in, runs into a vacuum, no compressor cooling, klixon operates. Compressor then cycles on klixon :)

mrmtata
17-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks for your ideas, i left the unit off for 12 hrs last night, flicked it on this morning and got the same result. I will try leaving it off for 24 and see what happens.
Frank, re the blocked capillary it this a terminal problem or can it be repaired?
I will look into the 3 in 1 kit.
cheers guys.

mrmtata

Abe
17-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Your compressor is faulty Im afraid

mrmtata
17-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
cheers.

frank
17-04-2006, 04:48 PM
I believe there are small hydraulic hand pumps for clearing capillaries although I have never used one. If the gas in your fridge is R134a and the capillary is embedded in the insulation panel then it will end up cheaper to buy a new fridge.

R134a tends to wax the oil and block capillaries.

If you have access to a line tap valve and a manifold set then you can easily check to see if the compressor is pulling a vacuum.

old gas bottle
17-04-2006, 05:15 PM
let try another way,when it runs does it get the condenser coils hot if so the system sounds o/k and i would go for the relay,or it could be the run winding ,if it runs for a while and the condenser stays cold or cool,bin it,system fault,just as a after thought, if the compressor gets its supply from a PCB board and not a normal t/stat,check it has 240v, sometimes you get low voltage and poor conections that throw you.

frank
17-04-2006, 07:08 PM
lets try another way,when it runs does it get the condenser coils hot

I think this would be difficult to do with a run time of 5 seconds :D

old gas bottle
18-04-2006, 05:16 PM
ooooooooer, i read that wrong,though it was longer, naf pot then.

coolflow
05-05-2006, 07:38 PM
comp nackerd scrap it i had same prob and changed relay worked for 1 week then no go.