PDA

View Full Version : Scotsman commercial H2O inlet valve

fullcourt
14-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I have an old Scotsman commercial ice maker- model CM250. The water inlet valve solenoid is constantly open, so the ice production is very slight.
I want to be sure that the valve is defective before I get another one from Johnstone Supply, since it is over $30. Can I take it out and apply power to the valve from another source, to see if it opens and closes?
Or should I put a voltmeter on the two wires going to the valve from the control box?
Any help is appreciated. :)

Brian_UK
14-04-2006, 10:18 PM
If you think that the valve is always open then REMOVING power from the valve would enable you to see if it closes off the water supply.

If it does stop then it would appear that you may have a control problem elsewhere.

fullcourt
14-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Brian, thanks for the reply.

removing the two wires that attach by spade plugs does not close the valve, the water continues to flow. I think that it is a bad valve.

Brian_UK
14-04-2006, 11:30 PM
If you have difficulty finding a Scotsman part try your local washing / dishwasher service depot. Most of the water valves are basically the same.

fullcourt
14-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Brian, thanks for the info.

jamcool
15-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Cannt the valve be cleaned? it might be just scale keeping the valve open,try cleaning if possible

fullcourt
15-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Cannt the valve be cleaned? it might be just scale keeping the valve open,try cleaning if possible

Well, inspired by jamcool and Brian, and seeing how it is a slow Saturday in the restaurant, I removed the valve, cleaned it, put it back in, and this is how it is acting now:

Water flows during the harvest cycle, as it should. At the end of the harvest, the water is supposed to stop flowing, but it does not. If I then turn off the water supply, the water stops (of course), and if I then turn on the water supply, the water does not flow through the valve until the next harvest cycle. But it won't stop on it's own.
So the electronics seem to be OK, but the valve is not, correct?

fullcourt
16-04-2006, 12:31 AM
update - valve seems to be working now. Great! I'll check it after I come back after Easter Sunday.
thanks to all.

frank
16-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Sounds like the valve may be fitted wrong way round. The working fluid pressure normally keeps these valves shut and the coil raises the piston allowing the fluid to flow.

When you cut off the water it closes but not when you de-energise the coil :confused:

fullcourt
25-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Just to follow up - I installed a new water inlet valve, actually a kit that applies to a few scotsman valves. first I installed it, and the water flowed like crazy. then I read the manual (RTFM), and put in the restrictor inlet that was for my machine. the water barely trickled out. I looked at the restrictor, and it had turned in the pipe, so I then straightened it out. Now the flow is perfect, the ice is building up, and I have a well functioning machine.
Thanks for all the help.