PDA

View Full Version : Condenser Coil Surface Coatings

Brian_UK
01-10-2014, 09:24 PM
I have a four circuit brine chiller with air cooled condensers located at a fish market harbour side in south Devon.

It's about four years old and I noticed today that the fins along the bottom of the coils, 25mm high, are beginning to corrode.

Does anyone know of a treatment that can be sprayed on, on site, to protect the coils from further corrosion?

Or of a firm that carries out this type of work?

Magoo
02-10-2014, 05:13 AM
Hi Brian
sounds like a galvanic reaction with seaside air and rain water, generally starts with fins being low grade/ recycled aluminium.
Cleaning coils with a non acidic reaction cleaner will clear oxidation, but aggravate long term as well, less heat transfer once oxidation is gone. Check that condenser is super grounded /bonded to reduce induced voltage which is the main cause of galvanic reaction.
Discuss with condenser supplier and baffle them with science, you could get a total replacement free issue. There are protective spray on products, BUT probably too late for that, the damage is done.
Condenser should be commercially good for at least 10 years before any corrosion issues rear their head.
cheers magoo

mikeref
02-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Nicely written, and to the point Magoo.:cool:
Wasn't allowed to give you rep points.

Brian_UK
03-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks Magoo, I think that you have identified the problem perfectly.

I had a better look at the unit today, cleaned one of the coils and have put forward avprice for bonding the chiller thoroughly.

install monkey
04-10-2014, 12:04 AM
blygold- kooltech do it
http://www.blygold.com/international-do-it-yourself

cadwaladr
04-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Bluegill have a factory in the northwest used them quite a lot very successfully,you can specify coils which are treated/made which will offer long life in the environment you describe.

Grizzly
04-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Blygold is indeed a well proven option.
When done as already stated , from new. Brilliant.
Historically I have seen condensing units rot out in 2 /4 years in the environment you describe Brian.
Any salesman worth his Salt (Pun Intended!) Should of recommended Blygold or similar.
These units run on an interesting choice of gas I believe do they not Brian?
Glad to here the site has someone of your calibre in their corner Brian.
There are some good guys on that site.

Spot On Magoo! rep point awarded.

Grizzly

Brian_UK
04-10-2014, 11:07 PM
blygold- kooltech do it
http://www.blygold.com/international-do-it-yourselfMight be useful for the damaged part of the coil.

Their DiY kit, they say, is for coils <0.7mē whereas I've got four 3mē coils with five rows. I think I'd need quite a few cans.;)

Brian_UK
04-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Blygold is indeed a well proven option.
When done as already stated , from new. Brilliant.
Historically I have seen condensing units rot out in 2 /4 years in the environment you describe Brian.
Any salesman worth his Salt (Pun Intended!) Should of recommended Blygold or similar.
These units run on an interesting choice of gas I believe do they not Brian?
Glad to here the site has someone of your calibre in their corner Brian.
There are some good guys on that site.

Spot On Magoo! rep point awarded.

GrizzlyYep, pumping round R1270, propylene, which seems to work OK.

Just in the process of refitting a rewound set of windings into a compressor we repaired earlier in the year.

See your old York ice plant has been replaced at long last, it's amazing what they pack in shipping containers now isn't it?

Grizzly
04-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Just to clarify.
It was a Finsam plant using Sabroe Compressors. The old plant of 20 /25 yrs previous was York.
Not sure who does the New finsam plant but it has a Halls screw I believe?
Good kit, I used to work for Halls so I am not here to criticise them. Finsam built by people who factor in the harsh enviroments of this world.
Unlike what you got Brian.

Have you cracked the controls Access yet?
Grizzly