PDA

View Full Version : Beer

frank
11-04-2006, 09:06 PM
For all you beer drinkers out there :D a few words of wisdom

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shame Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!"

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

To some it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!

And saving the best for last, as explained by Cliff Clavin, of Cheers. One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm.
Here's how it went:

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones
at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the
regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we
know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Brian_UK
11-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Love the last paragraph.

eggs
11-04-2006, 11:44 PM
AHHH, my favorite subject. The guest brew on offer at the moment in my local is "Douchers IPA" what a beautiful way to end your shift.
1 pint on my way home, ahhhhh lovely.

cheers

eggs

frank
12-04-2006, 12:53 PM
AHHH, my favorite subject. The guest brew on offer at the moment in my local is "Douchers IPA" what a beautiful way to end your shift.
1 pint on my way home, ahhhhh lovely.

cheers

eggs
Is that the same as Deuchars from the Edinburgh brewery? Thats the one I've found locally - mmmmm :)

floyd57
13-04-2006, 03:25 AM
For all you beer drinkers out there :D a few words of wisdom

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shame Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!"

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

To some it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!

And saving the best for last, as explained by Cliff Clavin, of Cheers. One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm.
Here's how it went:

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones
at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the
regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we
know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Brilliant!!

Bones74
02-11-2007, 04:41 AM
Words to live by brother!

absolute-zero
31-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Here's how it went:

Well said :cool:

Bottoms Up:D

now if i could convince my better half and dr of this, I will no loger have to listen the negative effects.

A-Z

Grizzly
01-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Well said :cool:

Bottoms Up:D

now if i could convince my better half and dr of this, I will no loger have to listen the negative effects.

A-Z
You obviously spent to long enjoying that pitcher A-Z.
Frank has probaly changed brewery by now. He amost certainly will of found a new guest beer.
What About Timothy Taylor Landlord?.... Frank
A particularly fine Ale I find!
Grizzly

dsp
01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Hear Hear!!!

absolute-zero
01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
You obviously spent to long enjoying that pitcher A-Z.
Frank has probaly changed brewery by now. He amost certainly will of found a new guest beer.
Grizzly

Grizzly
I can assure you, I have enjoyed many many many pitchers and pints of beer since that post.:D

Dont let the Veteran Poster fool you, I am still new here to RE maybe 6 weeks, and am making my travels even through the old archive threads.

I have found alot of great threads that have been posted here over the years, and have taken the liberty to bring a few out of hibernation.

Regards A-Z

frank
01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Grizzly
Indeed Grizzly, a very fine ale.
Some good news to come out of the recently re-furbished 'real ale' pub not far from my home was the stocking of TT Landlord as a permanant feature. The down side was the price they are charging - £2.76 per 1/8th of a gallon :eek:.

Quite a rip off when other local ale houses have guest beers ranging from £2.10 to £2.35.
http://www.thegriffinshead.co.uk/

Grizzly
01-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Indeed Grizzly, a very fine ale.
Some good news to come out of the recently re-furbished 'real ale' pub not far from my home was the stocking of TT Landlord as a permanant feature. The down side was the price they are charging - £2.76 per 1/8th of a gallon :eek:.

Quite a rip off when other local ale houses have guest beers ranging from £2.10 to £2.35.
http://www.thegriffinshead.co.uk/

Per 1/8th of a gallon I had to think about that Frank.
Untill I realised my "ready reconner" was nearby.
I know that they say you get what you pay for but £ 2.76 is steep maybe for your part of the country. Especially as you are surrounded by glorious
examples of the Art Of Brewing.
Sadly it's quite the norm "down ear" although you can get a pint of Cider for £ 1.10. and a thick head in the morning.
DSP Are you telling me that there are Australian that like real ale?... What a discerning pallette you have!
A-Z
Bears Hibernate, The Pheonix rises from the ashes does it not?
Cheers Grizzlyhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

absolute-zero
01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Sadly it's quite the norm "down ear" although you can get a pint of Cider for £ 1.10. and a thick head in the morning.

Grizz,
Perhaps you should stick with beer that has less kick. Maybe a coors light, "the silver bullet will never slow you down".:D
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/Reefer-Tek/49833376_Isaacs_Party_50mm_016.jpg

A-Z
Bears Hibernate, The Pheonix rises from the ashes does it not?

You make a valid good point there;) That sounds much better.:D

regards a-z

Brian_UK
26-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Frank,

We keep getting lovely pictures and words of the latest fine ale that you are supping but we never get a "Tasters Report":(

Are these beers that you highlight so awful that you daren't talk about... :eek:

or

Are they so damn good that your fingers won't work the keyboard:D

Yours,
Ever thirsty of Dorchester :)

nike123
26-02-2008, 02:05 AM
I finally looked the original post in this thread, and from this moment onwards, I see Frank as some kind of prophet, whose words and thoughts about life is worth to follow.:D:D

frank
26-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Frank,

We keep getting lovely pictures and words of the latest fine ale that you are supping but we never get a "Tasters Report":(

Are these beers that you highlight so awful that you daren't talk about... :eek:

or

Are they so damn good that your fingers won't work the keyboard:D

Yours,
Ever thirsty of Dorchester :)
I'm just trying to educate all of the 'LAGER' drinkers that there is such a thing as REAL ALE........mmmmmmm

And, yes, they are all most delicious.
If they fail to pass my stringent taste buds test then they don't make it into my sig. :D:D;)

Geezzz......all this typing makes one thirsty :p

frank
21-03-2008, 10:22 PM
For all you UK Real Ale drinkers (sorry to the rest of the world) here is a good link.

I've enjoyed many a polypin at home.

http://www.beer4home.co.uk/

For all you LAGER drinkers - please do NOT follow the link :D

sparrow
22-03-2008, 10:35 AM

Lol is that a plastic tub inside a cardboard box?

Think I might stay with the strongbow, it takes many mans years training to stay the distance with apples.

Sparrow

Abe
22-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Frank

Thanks for sharing your " slurring" thoughts........
Good thing some us a bright eyed, bushy tailed whilst you soundly sleep

frank
23-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Abe

One doesn't always have to get so drunk as to slurr :)

To enjoy a decent pint of Real Ale in good surroundings with friends and family, or even in one's own company is one of life's little pleasures.

Some people get stressed with work, family, or money problems and end up taking little tablets for depression - me, I just chill and unwind and support Mr Brown with a few tax pennies :D

paul_h
24-03-2008, 12:47 PM
No cask ales down here :( I did enjoy a few over there in '97 though.
Australia's beer is downright disgusting if you drink the local lagers, but there's a lot of tasty ales brewed here in the IPA and american pale ale styles.
I'm mainly an ale drinker, and it makes sense for australia to make pale ales instead of watered down fake bitter tasting lagers without decent hops, I like a decent bock though.
In australia you have two companies owning all large breweries, making them all taste crap because of the processes they use, but then you have 15+ pub breweries making decent stuff that may or may not be available outside the pub itself, but most of them are ales/porters.
edit: There is a german owned and run place out in the country that doesn't do too bad on the lagers, but most lagers here are ****e, even the microbrew ones.

frank
24-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Paul

When i was in Perth recently ( 3/4 years ago) we visited a small pub quite close to the main shopping centre (just up from the Royal Mint) that had a Micro brewery in the basement. You could sit and view everything that was happening in the basement as it was open to view sort of on a 'Mezzanine' platform.
Not a bad brew if I recall correctly. The Fish & Chips was also spot on.

Much better than Twoeys or VB.

Chunk
24-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Frank.

Normally i`m a lager drinker with a jd chaser but a friend of mine asked me to come down a local real ale establishment recently and i must admit the ale aint too bad.

Just down the road from where i live is a little shop which was converted from a butchers shop to a micro pub which seats 9 people,called the butchers arms.

I had a couple of pints of Hophead followed by a few esb`s and i must admit i have taken a liking to the non fizzy stuff.

I have now become friendly with the landlord who in return has welcomed me back now he knows how much money he can fleece me for,and i reckon it`s much better to drink ales when its cold outside.

I still reckon lager drinking for the summer though:D

nike123
24-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I am frequent user of these beers (mostly because they are only decent beers available here).

Erdinger Mit feiner Hefe:cool: (http://www.erdinger.de/biere/con_bierspezialitaeten_weissbier.php)
Erdinger Dunkel (http://www.erdinger.de/biere/con_bierspezialitaeten_dunkel.php)http://www.erdinger.de/images/blankpix.gif
http://www.erdinger.de/images/blankpix.gif

Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier Naturtrüb:cool:
http://www.paulaner.de/home.html

Leffe Brune and Leffe Blonde

The sad thing is, that nowhere in Croatia these beers are not available as draught beer, only in bottles.
Only one other beer is available as draught beer. It is Guiness. And i am not his fan. I prefer Kilkenny when is available here.:(

Karl Hofmann
25-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Mmmm I do enjoy a nice German beer, especially a Weissbier but a good English ale is the stuff of dreams... I can be found nearly every Friday night here http://www.bhurtpore.co.uk/index.htm

Unfortunately when you find one you really like you have to visit over and over again to get it again..Life is hard

frank
25-03-2008, 10:26 AM
A good friend of mine, also a keen admirer of micro brewery products (real ale to you LAGER drinkers :D) recently lost his wife and moved house to be closer to his daughter and grandkids.

He says he has made a big mistake as there is nowhere in his village that he can now get to taste his beloved favourite brew. To get any, he has to make a 1 hour bus ride into town.

A few of months ago, his local managed to get a single barrel of his favourite, as I think he complained about it so much. When he went into the pub and saw the beer on tap he was over the moon and ordered a pint but was told it was not ready and still settling.

Disappointed, he vowed to return in a couple of days for a taste :)

Upon his return, some 3 days later, he was told by the barmaid that it had all sold out :eek:

Seems that it was a popular beer but the landlord has no further plans to get any more in - Obviously, I didn't laugh toooooo much :D:D:D

silentbobt
21-08-2009, 03:59 PM
beer helping ugly people get leaid from 1902

lowcool
28-08-2009, 03:34 AM

Lol is that a plastic tub inside a cardboard box?

Think I might stay with the strongbow, it takes many mans years training to stay the distance with apples.

Sparrow

the strongbow sold over heres main ingredient is pears.
mercury is a fair dinkum drop if your lucky to come by it over their

Ration_Tea
28-08-2009, 04:53 AM
I wish I own beer company! :mad: I didn't know people would go to the forum to discuss about beer. ;)

hillbillywillie
13-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I like to make my own beer as much as I can.
Just finished 5 gals. Highland Heavy Ale. Burp!