PDA

View Full Version : Mini, mini split

novalfs1
19-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Hey guys
I was surfing my favorite online auction site for a portable air conditioner to be used in my computer room and I came across this 7000 BTU do it yourself mini split. It can be found by following the link at the bottom. What is your opinion on this thing? For only $400 is it worth a go?

Thanks ahead

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-7000-BTU-Ductless-Portable-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-AC-CoolMart-DIY-7-000-/151301263967?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item233a42125f

novalfs1
19-08-2014, 10:40 PM
No thoughts?? Do you think I would be better off with just a portable air conditioner?

Owen

MikeHolm
19-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Well, if I must, I think you will find that most people on here do not like "non-name brand" stuff (read... Chinese) because, you will not find parts if you need them and no one who will service it, when it needs it, will have ever seen one. You will then throw it in the bin in a couple of years and hopefully get something appropriate from a reputable maker.

Brian_UK
19-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Patience, patience.

I would go with that one if you have somewhere to mount the condensing unit outside.

It will be quieter than a portable.

novalfs1
20-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Mike and Brian, thank you for the replies.

The more I think about it I am becoming less and less confident on where I could mount the condenser with a 10 ft line set to work with.

The mini split out of the question, I am kind of in a hard place here. My higher ups gave me a minuscule budget, read- no more than what that Chinese split costs. :eek:

A portable a/c sounds like the logical choice, but I have a window in my office that for aesthetic purposes, and is unfortunately fixed. I thought about just exhausting the unit into the drop ceiling for the warm air to be picked up by the main air conditioning, but all reasonably priced portables that I have looked at evaporate the condensate into the discharge air, and I do not want all the excess moisture floating around up by the steel trusses and corrugated roof underlayment to cause problems.

I then thought of picking up a small window unit and ducting the exhaust into the ceiling. This alleviates the problem of moist air, but then I have a loud, sure to be ugly once ducted contraption sitting in my office.

The only other option I could think of is trying to steal some conditioned air from a Mitsubishi mini split in a next door inspection room and trying to force it over to my space. That leaves a problem of a temperature control, as I see no easy way to tap into the Mr. Slim's controls.

What do you reckon my best option is in this predicament?

For the heck of it, what would you say it would cost to have a mini split installed if I picked up a used one? Installed professionally, I would need no longer that a 10 foot long line set and maybe a 50-75 ft run for electricity.

Your time and consideration will be appreciated.

MikeHolm
20-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Since you put it that way....check out Surplus City Liquidators, not that far from you. They are web based and I have seen many smaller mini splits there at good prices.

Are you allowed to have the condenser mounted on a wall outside?

still learning
20-08-2014, 07:30 PM
A question. To ask someone who wants cool a computer room 24/7. 365days a year is.
How much is your data worth ?
dakin or mitsubushi ,imho.