PDA

View Full Version : Capstone

Joshyboy
13-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Hey guys I'm doing my refrigeration and air con capstone and need help in understanding how to comission and decommission a cold room? Also how to understand Superheat and sub cool.
Also how to do the mandatory electrical tests on a motor!
Just abit rusty on the matter and need help in remembering and understanding what to do
Would love the help

HVACRsaurus
13-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Hi Joshyboy & welcome to the forum.

It's been one of "those" days for me so please excuse..

Why don't you start by telling us about the kind of kit you work on?

Did you say Cra pstone? What's that then eh...? Don't get me wrong (obviously I'm taking the pi55) but this is a global forum AND most the the guys on here are old enough to not have done a capstone, heck many of the guys on here got their qualifications before I was even a twinkle in my fathers eye.

Further, most chaps are here for the purposes of industry networking & general sharing of knowledge & experience - not strictly for the purposes of regurgitating paragraphs & paragraphs of fairly specific but otherwise elementary information regarding the HVAC&R industry.

I hate to ask, but what role do your colleagues, supervisors and other (?) apprentices play in sharing, imparting & re-inforcing these kinds of skills?

But on a serious note, whilst I'm not going to include what most of us would consider "paragraphs & paragraphs of fairly specific but otherwise elementary information regarding the HVAC&R industry" I will give you this advice;

Look up this man on the you tube.

http://m.youtube.com/user/heavydiesel

He has the best collection of HVAC&R "this is how I fixed it" videos going - he turns dogs hit into diamonds every day of the week & there are also several videos pertaining to the understanding how to comission and decommission a cold room? Also how to understand Superheat and sub cool. Also how to do the mandatory electrical tests on a motor..

Have a bit of a look at those, bounce a bit of discussion around with your colleagues / supervisors & then get back to us, we might be in a better position to help you out.

Again, welcome (seriously) and please excuse.. It's been one of "those" days... Did I say that already...?

Rob White
13-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Capstone is a form of Assessment.

In the UK we call them assignments or projects.

I take it, it is a college or school capstone / project that you are doing?

You talk about commissioning a cold room? So you need to think what you need to do.
Testing safeties
Pressure test
Gas tightness testing
setting pressure switches
Vaccing
Weighing in refrigerant
Setting temperature

Mandatory electrical tests would be Earth continuity, resistances and polarity to name a few.

Decommissioning is sort of opposite from the commissioning but remember the refrigerant
and oil will now be classed as hazardous wastes and will need treating accordingly.

I'll let you work out the rest and fill all the gaps because it's your Capstone and you need
to be able to do it.

Rob