PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing from Air-Conditioning Unit

Lord Choc Ice
03-08-2014, 02:14 PM
I have just had a Mitsubishi Air-Conditioner installed (SRK25ZMP-S) and it would make a buzzing noise maybe every hour or so but now it is doing it every few minutes. Can anyone tell me what this might be? It seems to work fine but this noise is no good for my peace :(.

monkey spanners
03-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Does it go, BZZZZZZTT, then wait a bit and go BZZZZZTT, and repeat?

Sounds like you have a buzzy pump fitted to remove the condensation caused as a byproduct of cooling the room. It is normal for them to make a noise.

Lord Choc Ice
03-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Yes it does but the 'repeat' bit used to be a lot longer (maybe an hour) than it is now which is every 10 minutes or so. Do you think this is a fault as such? I've only had it installed 3 months.

install monkey
03-08-2014, 06:15 PM
mitsi heavy units do buzz with the comms signal, but it is usually quiet and every few seconds
is the drain gravity or pumped?- if pumped ,its as monkey spanners says, condensate pump

Lord Choc Ice
03-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Oh, I'm not sure if it's gravity or pumped - how do I tell?

Lord Choc Ice
03-08-2014, 06:52 PM
BTW, yes it is a heavy unit and not Mitsubishi electric (sorry for two posts, can't edit my posts)

The MG Pony
03-08-2014, 06:53 PM
does the drain go down or up!

Lord Choc Ice
03-08-2014, 07:02 PM
does the drain go down or up!

Up into the loft.

The Viking
03-08-2014, 07:13 PM
So, as water only will follow gravity (downwards) unless it is forced to do otherwise you do have a condensate pump fitted to lift it up to your loft.

The intervals between the operation of the pump will depend on the use of the AC and the humidity of the air, at the moment we in UK are experiencing a spell of warm and humid weather, therefore AC units will produce a lot of condensate and the condensate pumps will have to work harder.

:cool:

Lord Choc Ice
03-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks The Viking - just getting a bit worried as I've only had it a while. How comes it still 'pumps' when the unit is off though?

monkey spanners
03-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Water will drain off the coil when the fan shuts off (some can be held there by the air going through the coil), so may well run a few minutes after it ac has turned off.

install monkey
03-08-2014, 08:37 PM
the pump should be a quiet humm- the drain hose outlet must be higher than the bottom of the pump otherwise you will get cyphoning, meaning when the pump starts up again it has to prime itself with water- then it will quieten down- or last resort- stick a plant under the unit and gravity drain it to the flower pot

Lord Choc Ice
03-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Water will drain off the coil when the fan shuts off (some can be held there by the air going through the coil), so may well run a few minutes after it ac has turned off.

Well this one still comes on hours later :(. It's weird, it also can come on when I open my bedroom door (which is where the unit is).

Lord Choc Ice
03-08-2014, 10:07 PM
the pump should be a quiet humm- the drain hose outlet must be higher than the bottom of the pump otherwise you will get cyphoning, meaning when the pump starts up again it has to prime itself with water- then it will quieten down- or last resort- stick a plant under the unit and gravity drain it to the flower pot

No, its more like monkey spanners described. Also, this is wall-mounted with an outside unit so I can't do as you stated.

Anz
04-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Sounds like a mini lime to me, is there an elbow trunking on the side? They do rattle on stud walls. Although summats not rite if it's kickin in hours after it's off, get em back

Seems not many have heard the plant pot for a drain before hahaha :)

Lord Choc Ice
04-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a mini lime to me, is there an elbow trunking on the side? They do rattle on stud walls. Although summats not rite if it's kickin in hours after it's off, get em back

Seems not many have heard the plant pot for a drain before hahaha :)

You're spot on. I emailed them today and it was indeed fitted with a Mini Lime :). I said I would see if it gets any better otherwise I would let them know. It appears to be slightly better but I would prefer to call them back.

install monkey
04-08-2014, 08:13 PM
11702 handy for ignoring the mrs too :p

Anz
04-08-2014, 10:03 PM
U used those new delta packs?

Lord Choc Ice
04-08-2014, 11:16 PM
11702 handy for ignoring the mrs too :p

:D

I'll be needing one of those before I'm much older!

install monkey
04-08-2014, 11:42 PM
yep,didnt like em, got too used to the previous version with the lil template- never found a hang glider in the box though;)
U used those new delta packs?

tamcoaircon
15-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Firstly recommend to check capacitor. In case of niether fan nor compressor are running, then capacitor may be issue. The contactor will babble if there is no load on it. The low voltage call is 24volts. If you check it and there is only 16volts, then there is not sufficient voltage to drag the contactor in which will consequence in a chatter and finally a burned out coil.

r.bartlett
15-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Firstly recommend to check capacitor. In case of niether fan nor compressor are running, then capacitor may be issue. The contactor will babble if there is no load on it. The low voltage call is 24volts. If you check it and there is only 16volts, then there is not sufficient voltage to drag the contactor in which will consequence in a chatter and finally a burned out coil.

Welcome to the board I'm loving your work