PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Armaflex from UV, etc

Damian35
03-08-2014, 06:01 AM
Hi,

Most of the Armaflex for my new AC unit has been run externally in ducting but the final metre or so of pipe work to the outdoor unit will be exposed to UV, etc.

I could get some Armafinish paint but at 50 quid for only a bit of pipe work seems a bit of a waste. I was thinking some form of suitable tape and just wondered what you pros might use in a similar situation (assuming you have a similar situation when not using Armafinish.

Appreciate any comments.

Many thanks,

Damian

install monkey
03-08-2014, 07:30 AM
but if your only painting a mtr of lagging then the 5 ltr tub will go a long way, but if you do paint it, birds will still peck it off, even wrapping it in silver foil tape doesnt work

Damian35
03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Hi,

As I'm not regular installer, I guess I'm trying to say that is there ant cheaper alternative to spending 59 quid on paint for just 1m of lagging. The chap who is going to gas it up for me mainly does maintenance now, so he doesn't have any spare paint. I would have thought there must be some weather and UV proof tape available which could do the job (appreciate bird damage us a different matter).

Thanks,

Damian

FreezerGeezer
03-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Good quality duct tape.

UV is pretty severe here, but good tape seems to last pretty well.

MikeHolm
03-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I've been trying for years to find a "plasikote" kind of paint that would last but to no avail. I don't like the armaflex made stuff.

still learning
03-08-2014, 05:23 PM
You could try eggshell paint and. Then wrap green house shadding around the exposed lagging.
There used to be. Rubberised, paint know as roofcote,it was used to coat knacked old slateroofs years ago.
we use green house shadding it lasts quite well.
the type we use is the plastic mesh type with a mesh size about a big as you would seive flour thru.

The MG Pony
03-08-2014, 06:51 PM
wrap it in aluminium foil tape (Used for furnaces) then spray it with plastisized under coat for vehicles, will look black and last forever, or if you want to us another color go ahead.

monkey spanners
03-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Wonder if denso tape would work?

Magoo
04-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Paint exposed black armaflex with several coats of white acrylic house paint. Here the bleedin' sea gulls pick it away if black looking, apart from the UV deterioration factor.