PDA

View Full Version : Ice Bath Chiller temp climbing

Elysian
01-08-2014, 04:12 PM
I have a client with a flash chiller (ice bath) on a beverage system. We recently replaced a chiller that seemed to have failed for them -- temp climbing beyond set point by almost 30 degrees Celsius from a setpoint of 36 to 60). It was thought the chiller was defective and was sent back to manufacturer for testing (in warranty). After about 6 weeks of service the new chiller is climbing out of spec similarly. The area is very warm but open with venting to move air).

In trouble shooting with client I have learned that they have been turning the unit off overnight and starting it up fresh every morning. This on/off cycling is not how flash chillers are supposed to be used as they need to create an ice block around the coils to flash cool the beverage lines in the bath. They did this on their own volition to be "green" thinking they were saving on electricity use.

What I don't know is if this on/off cycling could damage the unit itself. I'm thinking that this can't be particularly good for the compressor to go through the heavy cycle every day --- but is this kind of thing an absolute deal breaker in terms of killing the compressor? Or should a new commercial appliance be able to withstand 40 or 50 cycles of this in short order?

Many Thanks

Rob

joe-ice
01-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Doubt if anyone would have a definitive answer as its not the normal way to operate an ice bank. It should not present any problems to the compressor itself and its doubtfull the bank of ice would fully melt overnight anyway if theres no fluid flowing through it.What would make it work harder is the high ambient when it is started with a heavy load

Elysian
01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks Joe. Very much appreciated. I've directed the customer NOT be turning the unit on and off and to leave it on. We are going to try to get more airflow around the unit and see what happens.

Rob

monkey spanners
01-08-2014, 08:33 PM
A high ambient and high water bath temperature could mean the compressor is running outside what it is designed for, which would not do it any good.

Magoo
02-08-2014, 02:56 AM
The idea behind ice banks is to store process cooling capacity as ice on coils in the non process periods and take advantage of lower power costs at night. So allow system to operate 24 hours and have an ice build sensor cycle system, BUT you will need agitation in water tank , either air agitation ( spa pool effect ), paddles or recirculation of water with a pump. So when process load hits the storage ice bank you can still maintain supply at what ever design temperature and eat away at the ice build up, the latent effect of melting ice.