PDA

View Full Version : Scrolll running backwards

mad fridgie
23-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Hi Gents,

Just had a client of mine, was commissioning a new machine, and somehow missed that the Copeland scroll was running backwards (something he will not do again) It ran for about 30mins, then i presume went on on internal overload (from the description given).
So my question is, have he damaged the compressor in the medium to long term (the comp did re-start the next day)

thanks Mad

FreezerGeezer
23-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Good question. :)

As far as I'm concerned, if an oil analysis shows all ok, leave it & they may well be ok. I recall an old thread on here telling of a scroll that'd been running backwards for about 6 months (iirc) & carried on ok when the phases were swapped.
Compressors are often much tougher than we think.
Of course, even if the oil analysis shows all ok, it's possible there's some mechanical damage & the compressor's life is reduced.

Good luck to them. :)

The MG Pony
23-07-2014, 08:25 PM
from every thing the copland reps tuaght us at school is they will handle that no problem at all, they are very robust units, so I wouldn't worry in the least and just fix the error and go away confidend it will be all good.

monkey spanners
23-07-2014, 10:16 PM
I've known some survive ok and run for years after and others die within days, these were all used models though. Time will tell.

PRESS
24-07-2014, 06:28 AM
thirty minutes shouldn't be huge fuss. i have seen this before and the units are still running. i wouldnt worry yet.

Peter_1
27-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Don't worry MF, it will ran fine. The scrolls haven't touched each other when they ran backwards

mad fridgie
02-08-2014, 03:51 AM
Thanks Gents!