PDA

View Full Version : oily smell!

chilliwilly
21-07-2014, 01:36 AM
Got called to a walkin freezer job today that was smelling of old engine oil.

Checked system over but couldn't find no problems with it, mainly smelled from around the door, checked mullion and no voltage to it. Other than that I've run out of ideas.

Any one else come across this?

al
21-07-2014, 09:28 PM
If door heater burnt up it can leave an oily smell/residue (a "friend" put 220v onto a 24v heater once.....)

Is tranny burnt out?

al

Rob White
21-07-2014, 09:45 PM

Door heater transformer??

It could have burnt out.

Rob

monkey spanners
21-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Had a complaint once for a smell like burnt oil from boiler/cooker, turned out evap had leak and smell was cooked comp oil etc, system was still cooling ok at that point.

chilliwilly
22-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Cheers guys

I wondered about the transformer but its remotely sited and its a death trap to get to because of all the junk thats been dumped.

Whilst changing a condenser fan there last year, I blew a 13 amp fuse because I couldn't find anywhere to isolate the system and had to work live. The control panel was in a garage outside the building that were full of junk and was locked.

I'll have to go back and ask them to move all the junk and check the tranny, I know the large sub stations smell oily whether or not they've burnt out. I didn't know a small multi tapper would have smelt like that.

I'll keep the thread updated in due course.

The MG Pony
23-07-2014, 12:40 AM
burnt transformer has a silicon/acrid smell, wouldn't call it oily. check the defrost pan.