View Full Version : Leaking Pipe at Back of Fridge

12-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Hi all

I've had a good look online and can't seem to find any answers. I have little knowledge of fridges as you will probably gather.

Every morning there is a little puddle of water amount our fridge freezer.

Initially I thought the tray that collects excess water was just a bit too full. So I pulled it out and emailed it. As I put it back I felt water drops on my hand. I then saw a pipe was leaking water.

The pipe was cold to touch and has ice on it. It looks like it has some insulation around it. The water seems to be from the melting of the ice. The heat sink (if that's the right term) is warm as I expected, this melting the ice.

I've not been able to identify what the pipe is for or called, so am unable to search specifics. I've taken a picture. How is this?

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.



12-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Emailed the tray? I meant emptied it (damn auto correct)

You can see the pipe is dark grey and that's where it is wet.

12-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Does it cool properly ? More then likely sog

12-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the response jonjon. It has been leaving puddles for a long while now, but everything is cold and staying cool perfectly. Turning the temperature dial anti clockwise just slightly (so the fridge is less cold / more warm) causes the compressor or whatever to turn off, indicating the fridge is adequately cold.

Can you explain what Sog is please?


12-07-2014, 11:16 PM
sog - short of gas

Looks like the suction pipe insulation has had it. You might be able to carefully pull the black grill forward to pick it off, slice a new section in and tape it up. Go easy if you do!

13-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks Tayters

Short of Gas! So, is it possible to add additional Gas?

If I cut the old insulation off, it should work as good as new again then really? Really, all that is happening is the pipe is condensing the moisture in the air, and the water is appearing on the pipe? If that's the case, should it be defrosted first so it's not piping cold gas through it? Then I can dry it properly and replace the insulation?

Maybe I'm talking nonsense. I'm trying to understand if I replace the insulation, will that actually fix it? I'm not sure how pipe insulation deteriorates anyway? Maybe because the insulation wet, the cold is now on the outside of the insulation, so it will always condense? Could I not just cut the insulation off, dry it out, dry the pipe, and reapply?

Thank you.

The Viking
13-07-2014, 11:32 AM
If we take a step back...
You say that your fridge reaches set point and keeps cool, then it is unlikely to be short of gas.

Most likely the lagging (insulation) has deteriorated over time and no longer offers a good vapour seal.
If you can ease the condenser (black grid on the back) forward and get to the pipe in question then it is possible to replace the lagging but be careful, if you damage the condenser or the pipes to it your fridge will become scrap.
Also worth noting, the lagging you buy at B&Q and the like, the grey stuff, is for heating pipes and are "open cell" what you need it lagging intended for refrigeration use, normally black, as this is "closed cell" and forms a proper vapour barrier. The vapour barrier is important, any moisture getting to the pipe will generate condensation and ice and will deteriorate the lagging further, damaging the vapour barrier, allowing more moisture in, generating more condensation and ice to build....


13-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that, The Viking!

I've seen some closed cell stuff on eBay then, I'll snap that up, unless you recommend elsewhere.

Understood regarding importance of not messing up the condenser on the back.

Presume a good defrost of the fridge will be in order to get that pipe back to room temperature, dry it properly, then wrap the pipe in it?

Back to the original image in the first post, I've noticed that the putty looking stuff (whatever it is) coming out of the back of the fridge is weak / old. A piece fell off slightly. I wonder if that was a diy repair by previous owners (it's a second hand fridge) or if it's there since manufacturing but is old. What our purpose does it serve? Can I replace it if it's necessary? And if so, with what?

Thanks all for the input ☺

install monkey
13-07-2014, 04:31 PM
pick out the bad putty and normal plumbers silcone sealant (mastic) will suffice, when you fit the lagging to the pipe, slice it with a stanley knife on the floor- slip it on and then seal it with armaflex glue or armaflex tape, or even duct tape, take care not to compress the lagging as this will affect the insulation properties, make sure ur lagging is the same diameter of the pipe