PDA

View Full Version : Transport Reefer eng

Reeferjon
13-11-2001, 08:50 PM
Ok guys for the count how many reefer engineers/techy's pass though here.
Go on leave a post

alpha
08-09-2003, 03:44 PM
yip, im a transport guy, great fun..

Latte
08-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Hello Reeferjon,
I work with two collegues and all three of us come from the transport industry, Turners (Soham) to be presise.
How i miss Transfrigs (N O T !!!!!!!!!!)
Carriers & Thermo-kings, i think we had every make these companies ever made (and what a pile of poo Thunderbirds are)

Reeferjon
09-09-2003, 08:49 AM
What Thunder-chickens, best unit ever made.
Would any of you be ex MTK LOL

alpha
09-09-2003, 09:05 AM
nah, not ex mtk here...grenco
t/birds are ok, nwds rule :)

Reeferjon
09-09-2003, 09:12 AM
so you know Mr Wilson & crew

Karl Hofmann
09-09-2003, 09:23 AM
I used to design and build insulated truck bodies for Arabian Profile Ltd in Sharjah UAE and then send them off to the TK agent for the refer unit to be fitted, there was a Carrier agent but no one bought Carrier because of their attitude/ naff spares supply/ poor reliabillity

Do I count?

alpha
09-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Mr Wilson doesnt ring a bell

Reeferjon
09-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Of course Karl, things aint changed Carrier still have parts problems blah blah.
So what made you return to UK

Latte
09-09-2003, 07:46 PM
hellon reeferjon,
If you are talking about Martin Wilson (MTK's Finest) then yes i do know him very well, in fact spoke to him yesterday. Used to work closely with him when the first SL300's come in (Another pile of poo). What is it wih these manufactures, do they not roadtest the units for long enough or are carrier & tk too busy trying to outdo each other. major problems with original SL300's & Vectors spring to mind. For My money you can't be a standard Maxima.

Karl Hofmann
09-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Reeferjon
Of course Karl, things aint changed Carrier still have parts problems blah blah.
So what made you return to UK

Oh you know Reeferjon!, I missed the rain and the cold, usual story....And I asked for too much money when it came to renew my contract and I was too pig headed to back down, so they replaced me. I went to work in Jeddah for four months, but that was more than I could take.

Reeferjon
10-09-2003, 03:14 PM
MAXIMA, 2nd best unit carrier ever produced, as foe SL300 well, I reserve me judgement

SO Karl, do you think with the change of climate that there may be opertunities for our flavour of refrigeration engineering.

alpha
10-09-2003, 06:20 PM
maximas, pretty fine units i must agree, so if maxima is 2nd best unit carrier made, what is the best d ya rekon?

ive never had to open the doors on an sl300 so i cant comment on them, but i get the feeling they aint much good, whats biggest problem with them?

and who decided to put the battery where it is on smx, they need a kicking! :[

Latte
10-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Thankfully the latest SMX's now called SL300/400 the batteries are slightly easier to get at as the front crossmember now comes down under the battery. Trouble is it makes taking the compressor out a complete pig as you have nothing to lever it on.
SL's have all the same smx problems, leaky jackshafts, top bearing assy's, stupid length main belt but also no the water pumps on the new yanmar engine leak like hell. this is ok if the controller is set up correct, but on some the controllers were incorrectly set up from the factor & because there was no water in the system the sensor could not register high temp, keep runnung then BANG!!!!!!.
A lot of other faults have been cured by software changes, Havn't heard any feed back on the SL400's

alpha
10-09-2003, 08:27 PM
ahh, i see, SL is the new SMX, so a name change didnt cure old problems then lol, just added a few new ones. My knowledge of the late trailer units is pretty much zilch thus i dont touch em much. early smx,maxima and tk Sbs are my limit,

i was chatting to a carrier guy the other day about vectors i think it was and he mentioned electronic expansion valves?? is this a good or a bad thing... i really dont think we need anymore gear controlled by electric and puters.

Karl Hofmann
10-09-2003, 10:03 PM
[i]
SO Karl, do you think with the change of climate that there may be opertunities for our flavour of refrigeration engineering. [/B]

Not too sure what my flavour is any more, since I returned from the middle east, Im doing my best to avoid refrigeration and am concentrating on automotive and domestic air con. The closest I get to transport refrigeration now is the odd Winter excursion in to Spain with a fridge for a buddy of mine when he is stuck for a driver.

Most of the chassis that we built on to were, what you would recognise as 7.5Tonne or 17 Tonne vehicles, 7.5 tonne was our bread and butter, since it is rare for the Locals to be able to say exactly what it was that they would be thansporting we usually stuck in an MD2 and that covered us for anything right down to Ice cream. Our only experience with Carrier was when we rolled out our new unitary insulated box, designed to fit a GMC Sonoma 1 ton pickup, one box and vehicle was sent to the local TK agent in Dubai, the other to the Carrier agent. Both were told that the box only had 50mm PU insulation and would be sold to transport at +5C one came back with a nice little engine powered unit installed, the other came back with Eutectic plates!!!:eek:

Latte
11-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Carrier Vectors What can i say:- ????
Good idea in principle - will have to wait & see once they have been about 5 or 6 years. Basically, NO BELTS, apart from water pump on engine everything else is electric.
The engine links onto a generator which then drives compressor, elec motor & well basically everything. I know carrier have had teething problems with them but they have been about for 2 years now and everything seems ironed out. if you remember the set up of transfrigs same sort of principle except more reliable.

PS Anyone out there remember P6-500's and how many belts they used to have.

Reeferjon
11-09-2003, 09:32 AM
SL400, Its a good unit now, the Fan shaft problem has neen sorted since the 300 days. As for getting the comp out, most peole make up an angled sliding bench to pull it onto.
Water pumps, well they are ok to, just need to make sure you have the correct antifreeze in or seals will go, its nice to be able to swing open the control box and get to the pump proper instead of a 4 hour R&R job.
The new polly V belt system with auto tensioner also has come of age, initial units had pulley alignment issue but thats sorted.

Who mensioned the clutch (bad boy).

Vector, nice idea I think its great, Elect EXP works well in conjunction with the electronic throtling valve, software works well.
We still see problems with engines, genny's (major probs), heater etc.

MDII & KDII has now been reframed, new controler and will be relaunched in 2 weeks as the ~~@@##
It looks and works well.

I remember P6500, cut my teath on them, used to carry wads of card to jam the relays in sockets.

alpha
11-09-2003, 08:44 PM
p6500s, good grief, thats bought back memories of curtain side trailers full of veggies.. i also remember belts, squealing units at the best o times lol
i kinda miss the older stuff :(
dkl's,pdl's,nwds.lnds... oooh the days:D

i think i may just have to go out my way to open the doors of a vector and Sl, would be good to have a look...
(i think):confused:

Latte
12-09-2003, 01:12 AM
How did we used to break new apprenices in gently, as him to change a belt on a P6500 (Once you have spend half an hour opening all the doors). As for the old stuff Good Riddence to most of it. How i loved Changing SB2/SB3 compressor belts at the side of the road, especially if i had forgotton my bar to lever the tensioner back. SMX's, Who designed the elec motor to hang from the sump, I changed far too many sumps until they changed the bracket design. KD's/MD's YUCK !!!, standing on a wet/icy cab roof trying to tension belts because they were squeeling (JOYOUS).
I remember how many drivers i wanted to kill after being called out at 2 in the morning, get to site & find Code 36 Flashing.

As for PDL's anyone still got the key to start them with, i am sure i still have one in my garage somewhere (Strange i Know)
NWD,SNWD's what a pain in the arse the belts were on the one's that had 2 belts fo the fans, the ones with one were easy, loosen off the pulley & hit it (Sorry adjust it with a bar, just in case Colin Lacey reads this). Thankfully R12 being scrapped put pay to most of these units.

Reeferjon
12-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Hands everone a drink, Cheers, 'To the 'good old days'

alpha
20-09-2003, 05:50 PM
why thanks very much Reeferjon, it did just the trick before changing that rubber drive wheel thingy on a dkl :]

Latte
20-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Hello Reeferjon,
Just spoken to MRW, He speaks very highly of you.
Genny problem on vectors seemed to become worse after the mods were done after the fire problems. The engine's used to run at slow speed for a couple of mins before going onto high speed, after the mods the engine went to high speed a lot quicker. Whether this meant it had less time to get any water/moisture out of the windings or not i dont know but it seemed coinincidental. Apart from the gennys i havn't heard of any other prob's with the vectors, mostly just user faults, too many options fo drivers to get their heads around.

Reeferjon
23-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Well saw MRW today, I had him on a day course for CCI kit, had to leave early apparently he had 'tooth ache' LOL.-- or was it the track.
he be one of our best I believe.

Latte
25-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Hello Reeferjon,
What can i say MRW is getting old, or is it "He's gone to the DOGS !!!!!"

Reeferjon
26-09-2003, 09:01 AM
::) :)

alireza
27-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Hello Reeferjon,
I, too, work in Transport AC in the field of Bus Air Conditioning systems.

That's grate Joining this Thread.

Reeferjon
29-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Welcolm Alireza.
I guess you guys are working hard at the moment, has your 'summer' ended yet.
Who's AC do you work on.

alireza
02-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Okey Reeferjon, the summer is ended here and many of the buses come to operate their heaters.
We work on Konvekta, Sutrack, and some other Iranian and Turkish made A/C unit.
It is very nice, finding some one works on auto AC&R

alireza
02-10-2003, 07:35 AM
It was about in a same time of last year that I was thinking about a Liquid Line Solenoid Valve in the Bus A/C unit to prevent flooding fo the compressor in the cycle off periods.
I propounded my thinking to Dan, We both reached this point that being a LLSV is better than absence of it.
After one year I saw one of the newest system if Konvekta Co.
And I understood we thought right.

I would love to know your Idea about it.

Regards,
Alireza

alireza
02-10-2003, 07:46 AM
It is about 3 years that I work in Auto A/C industry. At present, I work for Runiran Bus manufacturer Co. and they are manufacturing of VOLVO, only, and they have 2 Iranian suppliers for A/C unit.

But our after market center sometimes accepts other buses such as Benz, Mann, Skania,....
And it lets us to see other Bus AC systems.

Reeferjon
02-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Hi Alireza.
What model is the a/c system, my knowledge of TK bus a/c is a little poor but yes I also think a LLS should be fitted, maybe an idea to put to Walter.

On the vehicle powered (small van direct drive compressor) units we fit as standard an oil seperator in the discharge line, I wonder if its possible to get one with a large enough capacity for the discharge line size.

alireza
02-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi Reeferjon,
"An Oil Separator in the Discharge line of a Van Cooler". Hmmmm...... I think for the reason of using it in the van system.
A van system usually has 2 evaporators far from together.
and returning of the oil to compressor performs very difficult. Simply because any unbalancement of pressure between 2 evaporator case to remaining of the oil in the evaporator which is working with higher pressure. Am I correct ???
Then, the best way of preventing from any oil problems is using
An Oil Separator.