PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun. Spot the leak.

Grizzly
01-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi Guys.
I was explaining to a colleague the other day, how obvious a leak on a system can be.
Especially if it's on unlagged pipework or fittings!
These photos show a Ammonia valve station.
Pic 1... Where is the leak?

Pic 2 a day later.... There's the leak!

Pic 3 later that day with leak repaired.

Once de-iced the flange bolts nipped up and leak gone!

Basic I know but some may find it interesting.
Incidentally the leak was so small that I mistakenly said it was the vent line I was using onto another valve station.
Our newly qualified ex apprentice felt that there was a leak.
Guess what!
I ended up admitting he was right and I had got it wrong.
I don't mind He's a good Lad and likes to learn.
Grizzly

monkey spanners
01-07-2014, 10:41 PM
I've heard that with some milk tank cooling plates you can spot the leak by a frost mark inside the tank!

Nice pics Grizzly!

HVACRsaurus
02-07-2014, 04:59 AM
Nice one!

I've got a bottle of Canadian Club at home, I reckon it must have a leak too - every couple of weeks it empties out & I have to buy a new one.

I've sat there & watched it good - do you reckon you could find the leak in it too?

Grizzly
02-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Nice one!

I've got a bottle of Canadian Club at home, I reckon it must have a leak too - every couple of weeks it empties out & I have to buy a new one.

I've sat there & watched it good - do you reckon you could find the leak in it too?

Hi HVAC,
There is a certain amount of evaporation taking place in my pics, not so sure about your bottle?
Maybe it's the Angels share? As my Scottish friends would say.

Incidentally, when first looked at there was no ice as that part of the plant had been shut down for a weekend.
It was only when the plant was back online and the ice built-up that the above appeared.
Grizzly

Grizzly
02-07-2014, 06:57 AM
I've heard that with some milk tank cooling plates you can spot the leak by a frost mark inside the tank!

Highly likely given a sudden change in the refrigerants pressure is a fundamental of fridge.
Flash gas can be your friend as well as your enemy.

Cheers Grizzly

MikeHolm
02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
CC bottles has been known to leak. There is known defect at the top of the container where the port safety cap keeps coming loose.