PDA

View Full Version : Drain solutions for Air Con (when drain water cannot be carried into gutter)

Bluefish200
21-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Hi,

please, could you please help me with the following questions.

I cannot carry drain pipe into the rain gutter. That is why I need another solution.

What do you think about the following (or similar) solutions:
http://www.huttererlechner.at/media.aspx?ID=639 .

I am afraid that these solutions may not be perfect (e.g . in some extreme cases the drain water may even flow back to indoor unit upwards and flow out of it). And I would like to avoid this situation.

It seems not to be the best solution, but then I would rather collect drain water in a tank placed in my balcony. The end of the vertical drain pipe would be above the maximal possible water level in the tank which would be regularly emptied.

Thank you in advance!

NewmanRef
21-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Have you considered using a condensate pump? You can pump the condensate to your gutter if that's where you want it to discharge.

Bluefish200
21-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Have you considered using a condensate pump? You can pump the condensate to your gutter if that's where you want it to discharge.

Thank you. Well, pumping the condensate to gutter would be difficult due to some reasons (the conditions of the owner-occupied block where I live). Otherwise, it would be a nice solution.

install monkey
21-06-2014, 10:25 PM
you can pump it to any internal drain, sink,toilet stack and use these type of connectors
http://www.pumphousepumps.com/shop/adaptors/pipe-adaptor-self-sealing-14-38-hose/

Anz
22-06-2014, 10:01 AM
You can't beat these badboys

Bluefish200
23-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Thank you for your help.

Well, as it turned out, unfortunately it is not possible to pump the condensate to anywhere mentioned above in my flat. That is why I have to rather collect drain water in a tank placed in my balcony.

I know it is not a perfect way to do, but have you got any idea about this solution? As I mentioned previously, the end of the vertical drain pipe would be above the maximal possible water level in the tank which would be regularly emptied.

I would put a filter-like very thin permeable fabric to the end of the pipe in order to exclude insects.

Thank you.

Brian_UK
23-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Do you have a sink or basin in your place?

You could run the pump tube over that.

Bluefish200
24-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Thank you very much. Your idea is great, there are sink and basin in my flat.

But since there are a lot of walls in my flat, it is unfortunately not easy to perforate the walls, and the pump tube seems to be hard to carry to the sink or basin. In addition, the possible sink and basin are further from the planned place of indoor unit.

Another issue is about the hygiene of dropping the water to the sink or basin inside my flat. I am worried about bacteria and other pollutions (maybe I am too cautious).

RANGER1
24-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Thank you for your help.

Well, as it turned out, unfortunately it is not possible to pump the condensate to anywhere mentioned above in my flat. That is why I have to rather collect drain water in a tank placed in my balcony.

I know it is not a perfect way to do, but have you got any idea about this solution? As I mentioned previously, the end of the vertical drain pipe would be above the maximal possible water level in the tank which would be regularly emptied.

I would put a filter-like very thin permeable fabric to the end of the pipe in order to exclude insects.

Thank you.

Instead of a tank, why nota nice pot plant!
To stop insects instal a "S" or "P" trap.

Bluefish200
24-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks. Good idea, my wife also suggested this solution. But, I think then I should have a bigger pot plant which is completely able to adsorb the condensate.

Unfortunately I don't really know the mentioned "S" or "P" trap. Can you please explain this solution more? I think that a picture or a link could help a lot to me.

Thank you.

Brian_UK
24-06-2014, 10:19 PM
For S or P trap use your expression of stench trap.

As regards pollutants remember that the water collected is condensed from the atmosphere so is quite clean. It only gets dirty after it has left the AC unit ;)

Bluefish200
25-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Thank you for your answer.

Concerning stench trap at the end of drain hose, I am afraid of composing airlocks.

As some installation manuals put it, the drain pipe should be free from airlocks. Airlocks can cause even drain water reflux into indoor unit in extreme cases as I heard it. But these sources mention this reflux problem mostly in the case of indoor airlocks (e.g. carrying the drain pipe into the sewerage inside the flat) as far as I know.

Brian_UK
26-06-2014, 10:14 PM
The stench trap will not cause air locks if it correctly sized.

What type of AC unit do you have.

Bluefish200
27-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Thank you. The AC is a Fujitsu ASYG12LLCC.

Barry McG
27-06-2014, 02:25 AM
Hi there. Maybe suitable for your case would be a small collection tank with water level switch and element heater

Brian_UK
27-06-2014, 09:22 AM
OK, fresh start...

Where is the condensing unit to be mounted?

Can the tube from a condense pump be run along with the refrigerant piping to outside or is this something that you are not allowed to do?

Bluefish200
29-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Thank you for your answers.

The condensing unit is planned to be mounted on the balcony wall.

The tube from a condense pump can be run along with the refrigerant piping to outside.

Brian_UK
30-06-2014, 10:55 PM
If the balcony has a rain outlet then pump it to there.

If not then pump it to the top of the condenser coil and let it run down the coil. This will aid cooling of the coil and any excess will get blown out through the fan.

Bluefish200
02-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Ok, thank you.