PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool R600A Conversion

Frikkie
19-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Hello, I hope you are all well and thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

I have a Whirlpool frost free domestic fridge freezer, it has the fridge at the top and the freezer below. I bought this fridge just over a year ago to replace my very old fridge which was becoming very noisy after 33 years of working. It is very disappointing for me that it worked fine for one year and one month then for no reason it just stopped. The condensing area is very clean but the compressor is not running, it just clicks on very short time and then off again on the overload every few minutes. I tested all the controls and the supply at the compressor and the problem is not electrical. It was only when it was at fault that I noticed it is a R600A system and I have never seen a system before on this gas.

I have removed the compressor and tested the compressor on my bench with a motor hard-starter and it still refuses to run so I can only assume the damage is internal and mechanical in nature but it is hermetique so I cannot make any repairs to it. I tried to find a new compressor the same as the old one but R600A compressors are very few in my area and the 2 or 3 that are from the suppliers are not the correct size, they're all too small in capacity and they are very expensive.

Can someone please advise me if it can be fitted with a 134A compressor without any other changes? I have a spare 134A compressor that is definitely working well and it came of a friend who took it from a LG frost free fridge identical in layout and size. I know there is oil differences but I have already flushed the system with some F11 so there is no residual internally and I used a vacuum pump on the system to cleanse it. Would I need to alter the capillary to achieve the correct evaporating temperature if I convert it to 134A? Would there be any other reason that it can't run on 134a?

Again thank you for reading and I hope you can make suggestions.

Frikkie.