PDA

View Full Version : R22 carrier split system Need help troubleshooting

Tabor1218k
14-06-2014, 02:37 PM
I am a maintenance manager at an apartment complex. I am green to refrigeration. Just got my EPA cert this year. But I am learning and researching every day.

I have a system that initially the compressor wouldn't start. Checked capacitor and found it was dead. Now the compressor will start. But the low side is pulling a vacuum. High side is about 130 PSIG Compressor is making a slapping sound. (scroll compressor)

I suspect either TXV is shot or filter drier (very skinny copper spun filter dryer) is plugged or both. Can anyone weigh in on this.

The Viking
14-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Or no refrigerant?

To start with check the sub cooling and super heat.
If you give us those figures and the actual pressures/temperatures this system operates with our guesses as to what might be going on in your system will be closer to the mark.

Also, you question the TXV and drier... Why? Is there ice on them? A huge temperature difference across them?

:cool:

Tabor1218k
14-06-2014, 04:08 PM
The reason don't think its low on refrigerant is I added .955 lbs (Data plate says it holds 3.5 lbs) and low side still immediately went back into 20 inch's of vacuum.

The reason I suspect txv and or drier is this is acting just like an identical unit in the building next door last year. (We farmed that out to local hvac contractor) When the contractor was working on that one. He found a lot of oil in evap coil,TXV was faulty. He installed new filter drier Charged unit and started it. Ran fine for for about 1 min. Then went back to acting up. He came back the next day he recovered refrigerant, Cut out filter drier , blew nitrogen threw low side with service valve closed. When he done that a bunch of oil came out of high side line. Then installed new drier charged and everything was fine. after that.

Thank you for your response.

Tabor1218k
14-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Here is a shot of the data plate. And current filter drier Just because I am currious of the proper description of this style.

Tabor1218k
14-06-2014, 05:10 PM
I will attempt to get a superheat on monday. Gave the resident a window shaker for the weekend.

install monkey
14-06-2014, 06:09 PM
drier looks a bit small for the capacity of the unit

Tabor1218k
14-06-2014, 07:04 PM
drier looks a bit small for the capacity of the unit

I thought so also.. When they installed these units they took out blue canister driers and put these ones in .. They replaced about half the units because of a hail storm. and a generous insurance adjuster.. I'm sure the maintenance manager at that time told the contractor to use the cheapest parts possible to make himself look good..

Brian_UK
14-06-2014, 10:04 PM
As IM said, that's not a suitable drier, that one is a joke.

The MG Pony
26-06-2014, 01:41 PM
that drier is meant for a fridge or deep freeze!

TXV is the last thing you should be suspecting start with the basics. coils clean? air flow? then from there suction/discharge pressures saturated temps real temps coil deltas. then we can say it is low, but first and formost the drier must be replaced with a proper one (This is what cuased your coil to flood with oil, lack of mass flow of gass! due to restriction, txv was fine on old unit from other place!)