PDA

View Full Version : cracked liners

Mackamoo
14-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to get opinions on repairing refrigeration split or cracked liners. Do any of you do it and if so how? Also, if a repair is possible what would you recommend to do it with?
My thoughts are that I would repair the liner as long as it hadn't already compromised the performance of the appliance taking into account the crack size, in particular width as I would want moisture to get into the insulation.
Thanks

glenn1340
15-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I`d think it not worth the time, effort and expense to try it. The crack would need grinding out, welding up with the correct rod, maybe heat treating to remove any stress, them machining and honing to make the bore true.

Mackamoo
15-06-2014, 12:52 PM
I think there is some mix up here. I mean the liner inside the appliance which can crack or split as time goes by with the constant stresses the plastic is up against. It's more like hairline cracks maybe up to 2mm wide that could be filled or covered over possible with silicone as an example.

monkey spanners
15-06-2014, 02:13 PM
I must admit when i read liner i was thinking of a cylinder liner in a big industrial compressor like Glen.

I think id try some glue on a small split in the plastic, and either silicon or try and glue a patch over bigger gaps. you would need to know the type of plastic used, i wonder it its abs but don't know.

Mackamoo
15-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Sorry if the post was confusing, it's my first post and I thought I posted it in 'domestic' you guys would know what I meant :)
There's a newish product call 'Sugru' which is like a rubberised silicone. There website gave me the idea of trying it out as there is a demonstration of a guy fixing one of the little lugs inside the fridge door that hold the door pockets in place. Up to now if I ever had that it would mean a new door which could be expensive. Has anyone heard or tried it? Website is here:
sugruhttp://sugru.com/guides/how-to-fix-fridge-shelves-drawers-and-lining-with-sugru

Magoo
16-06-2014, 04:39 AM
As per MS
I first thought you were talking about piston liners.
As for refrigerator liners, they are vacuum formed from the cheapest thinnest PV available. Usually crack in corners/ highest stress point. Try a PVC welding unit and all will melt away before your eyes. Duct tap is cool.

B G Scott
16-06-2014, 08:08 PM
First thing is as you hint at they are stress cracks, therefore the material must be allowed to relieve this stress and as in most materials the way to do this is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack.
This will dissipate the stress, you can always fill it later with some flexible compound if the crack is not too long.

frank
16-06-2014, 08:29 PM
For a permanent repair you could consider a GRP auto repair kit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdLtEyXfbI0

Mackamoo
16-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys :)
No one has replied and said they wouldn't consider a repair so I'm presuming most would if it's practical to do so.
It is really stress cracks I'm talking about as anything else would give me concern about what has caused it.
Cheers