PDA

View Full Version : Part P electrical Certified

Andy T
01-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Just Gone self employed.I have been asked to fit Evap and unit plus extra lighting in a domestic premises used for business.Will I have to be a qualified part P electrician?:confused:

eggs
01-04-2006, 11:52 PM
In short no, unless you have to run a new circuit for the ac. But most small systems up to 3.5kw will hapily run from a 13a socket or a fused spur from an existing socket.
With regard to the lighting if you are modifying or extending an existing circuit, then the answer is also no.
But if you are installing a new circuit then yes.

cheers

eggs

Andy T
04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
The cable running from the distrubution board connects to an isolator switch on a board with all the contols on it.The contols will have to be moved along with isolator, as the room will be used for meat peperation.This means the cable is too short and i have to run a new one from distruburion board.The lighting supply will come from the same circuit.But the coldroom had no light before.
20 years in the trade and can't wire a lightbulb?:mad:

Andy W
05-04-2006, 08:22 AM
It is a real pain all this red tape, I have my 16 th edition and I dont know if I am allowed to do part P installations. I have just had to fork out £325 to have a tiny amount of electrical work done in my workshop as it needs a NICEIC approved electrician to do it as a condition of the lease, the annoying thing is I used to be the qualifying NICEIC electrical manager on the last company that I worked for but am not a member of NICEIC since been self employed, I personally find all these "purchased membership" schemes to be a rip off, this electrician ripped me off basically but there was nothing I could do about it, the landlord insisted on him, I could of done the same installation quicker and for a fraction of the cost, very annoying.

I have also had a problem with the alarm in my workshop which I told the alarm guy about when he serviced it last week, he said the landlord would not pay for a new one as they were expensive, I looked inside the panel and pointed out that it was a basic 6 zone panel with dial out which I recently purchased for my house for less than £60, he then tells me, the alarm installation association sets rates that they have to charge to install a panel etc, thats what makes it expensive, associations, I rest my case.

Sorry about the rant folks, associations, training bodies etc, they just want to stitch us all up.

rbartlett
05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
It is a real pain all this red tape, I have my 16 th edition and I dont know if I am allowed to do part P installations. I have just had to fork out £325 to have a tiny amount of electrical work done in my workshop as it needs a NICEIC approved electrician to do it as a condition of the lease, the annoying thing is I used to be the qualifying NICEIC electrical manager on the last company that I worked for but am not a member of NICEIC since been self employed, I personally find all these "purchased membership" schemes to be a rip off, this electrician ripped me off basically but there was nothing I could do about it, the landlord insisted on him, I could of done the same installation quicker and for a fraction of the cost, very annoying.

I have also had a problem with the alarm in my workshop which I told the alarm guy about when he serviced it last week, he said the landlord would not pay for a new one as they were expensive, I looked inside the panel and pointed out that it was a basic 6 zone panel with dial out which I recently purchased for my house for less than £60, he then tells me, the alarm installation association sets rates that they have to charge to install a panel etc, thats what makes it expensive, associations, I rest my case.

Sorry about the rant folks, associations, training bodies etc, they just want to stitch us all up.

The system is not designed to stop qualified guys from doing works. It's to stop un qualified guys. However qualified guys get caught in the same net.

This isn't a rip off but can be seen as a natural progression of a civilised society as it drives towards competency. If you want bush mechanics go to Africa or the 3rd world.

Don't forget our turn will come and customers of ours will see us as 'rip off merchants' as our bills increase accordingly

Come the revolution!!

Cheers

Richard

Karl Hofmann
05-04-2006, 08:38 PM
The current standard of workmanship for most trademen is at the level of a DIYer. This is mainly because the public go to the likes of B&Q, see the price of materials, add the rate at which they get paid and expect tradesmen to do the job for that amount, the tradesman knows that if he asks any more, then he will be either undercut, or the customer will bodge it himself, well this has got to stop otherwise we will all be in stuck.

Bodgers and cowboys are aplenty, in doing my gas work, I have done work for kitchen fitters who are stripping kitchens with electrical systems that are abysmal. Having the entire kitchen on a radial circuit using 2.5mm T&E with a 30amp fuse is not unusual, neither is connecting an electric oven and hob to this same circuit unusual, I have also seen gas hobs connected to the supply with garden hose, so you can see that there is plenty of room for improvement and these schemes introduce a degree of accountabillity, standards improve if there is the chance of a job being inspected, the customer should recieve a good standard of work, but should also expect to pay for that standard. True there will always be the DIYers, but they will be the ones who dont get what they expect for their property when it is sold

Andy T
06-04-2006, 08:34 AM
One of the reasons I went self employed.Was that my company would employ anybody as a fridge engineer.Because there seems to be no legislation.They would employ one qualified electrician.And then get all the muppets to install anything.A large company can do this, but a single trader has to multi qualified and cheap.Gone are the days that a sole trader has less overheads.It will be like all the big supermarkets putting all the small shops out of business.The quicker refrigeration has a guild that all engineers have to conform to the better.This will make an even playing field for all and get rid of bad engineers.Force companies to take on apprentices for well needed fresh blood.Not just employ one qualified engineer who ends up being a supervisor anyway and sits in the office all day answering questions from the muppets.While all the other engineers go round bodging.I like fixing things but this industry is getting silly.I have got to make a living.Just loving the job won't pay the bills.If things don't change I will be taking up somthing else.Turning my back on 20 years of experiance and training.One less, Oh well probably be replaced by another muppet.
P.S As I worked in house for a supermarket chain.
I have to build up my own cliants now.Anybody ever used recruitment agents for work.I used to work on large stuff.Although fixing wine coolers is paying the bills.Any ideas how i can get into what i do best the big stuff.

Andy T
06-04-2006, 09:07 AM
I have an idea.Lets start a new thread.Draft a legislation for refrigeration based on are ideas rather than complaints of whats wronge with the gas and electrical industry so that we can learn from them.
Who wants to start?

frank
06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
I have an idea.Lets start a new thread.Draft a legislation for refrigeration based on are ideas rather than complaints of whats wronge with the gas and electrical industry so that we can learn from them.
Who wants to start?

After You :)