PDA

View Full Version : Career in Refrigeration / Renewables

Simon Ruddy
26-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I am just about to qualify as a plumber (in Scotland) and was wanting to branch off into Renewables, specifically heat pumps and solar thermal.

Could someone suggest a logical path for me to follow or the best way to get into this industry. What are the best courses to do? I realise F gas would be a necessity to start with.

Any comments / suggesions welcome!

frank
27-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Hello Simon

Fgas is not necessary for Solar Thermal, but a G3 qualification is. Heat pumps need more than Fgas, which is basically 'Safe Handling'. What you really need is solid training in the trade so that you understand at least the basics, and then a few years experience on top, and unfortunately, you cannot buy experience.

Plumbers do fit Mitsubishi Ecodan (Mitsi won't sell them to me as I don't have plumbing qual's) which is a packaged reversible chiller, but, when they go wrong with a fault in the fridge circuit, the plumber doesn't know how to fix them. And I think this is where the heat pump market seems to overlap with plumbing and electrical (Part P)

I'm not sure if there are any colleges fielding courses in Heat Pumps, but I may be wrong. perhaps Rob, one of our Members can shed more light on the subject?

Rob White
28-05-2014, 08:33 AM
I am just about to qualify as a plumber (in Scotland) and was wanting to branch off into Renewables, specifically heat pumps and solar thermal.

Could someone suggest a logical path for me to follow or the best way to get into this industry. What are the best courses to do? I realise F gas would be a necessity to start with.

Any comments / suggesions welcome!

Hello Simon

Fgas is not necessary for Solar Thermal, but a G3 qualification is. Heat pumps need more than Fgas, which is basically 'Safe Handling'. What you really need is solid training in the trade so that you understand at least the basics, and then a few years experience on top, and unfortunately, you cannot buy experience.

Plumbers do fit Mitsubishi Ecodan (Mitsi won't sell them to me as I don't have plumbing qual's) which is a packaged reversible chiller, but, when they go wrong with a fault in the fridge circuit, the plumber doesn't know how to fix them. And I think this is where the heat pump market seems to overlap with plumbing and electrical (Part P)

I'm not sure if there are any colleges fielding courses in Heat Pumps, but I may be wrong. perhaps Rob, one of our Members can shed more light on the subject?

Hi Simon.

Frank is correct, doing is the best learning, but as for courses
there is all the plumbing and G3 water courses that you probably
already know about and there is a City & Guilds heat pump course
which is aimed at plumbers and concentrates on the non fridge side.

Within the same category there are courses that cover Solar hot water
and Photo voltaics.

Do some research into City & Guilds 2399

http://www.cityandguilds.com/courses-and-qualifications/building-services-industry/electrical-installation/2399-installation-service-and-maintenance-of-environmental-technology-systems/level-3

You need to be working for a company that deals in renewables.

Regards

Rob