PDA

View Full Version : Triple Split Specification Questions

w0067814
19-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Hi All,

New to the forum.

I wish to install a triple split air conditioning system in to my house to condition the sitting room and two of the 4 bedrooms that the afternoon & evening sun strikes. I'm hoping that I can call on the wisdom of the board to help me correctly size the system.

I have a semi detached house, double glazed with cavity wall insulation. The house has an east / west aspect with no windows to the north (solid wall) and nothing to the south (next door). The rooms are as follows:

SITTING ROOM
Patio doors to the east. 2m wide window and glazed wide front door to the west that catch the evening sun. The room measures 8.7m by 3.3m for a total of 28.7 square meters. Height is 2.4m for 68.9 cubic meters. The room is attached to the kitchen by a standard 30" door way, though there is no door installed, so air is free to flow. The kitchen measures 3.6m x 5m for total of 18 square meters / 43 cubic meters.

BEDROOM 1
Measures 3m x 3.5m. 10.5 square meters, 25 cubic meters. 2m wide west facing window that catches the evening sun. Heat reflected in afternoon off of porch roof into this window.

BEDROOM 2
Measures 2.4m x 2.4m. 5.76 square meters, 13.8 cubic meters. 2m wide west facing windows that catches evening sun. Gets more heat reflected into the window from porch roof than bedroom 1.

USAGE
The sitting room would be occupied during the day and evening.
Bedroom 2 would be occupied from about 6:30pm (small child).
Bedroom 1 is occupied from 10pm onwards (wife, myself)

MY CURRENT THOUGHTS
Based on my experience with a 5,800 BTU portable air conditioner (gift) in this house, it makes a modest impact in temperatures to bedroom 1, bringing it down from unbearable to something that is bearable, but still too warm for my liking on a summer's night. Little effect on sitting room, 1 perhaps 2'C after a long time running. I've also experienced a 12,000 wall mount split at my parents house in their kitchen.

Budget is not unlimited, but also I don't want to buy carp either.

I've been looking on line and have seen the LG Multi-F range, and they look to be reasonably priced.

LG Multi-F MU3M19 5.3kw 19,000btu Multi Split Outdoor Inverter
LG P12RK-NCB 3.5kw 12,000btu Indoor Unit in Sitting Room.
LG P09RK-NSB 2.6kw 9,000btu Indoor Unit in Bedroom 1
LG P07RK-NSB 2.05kw 7,000btu Indoor Unit in Sitting Room.Bedroom 2

Total indoor ratings exceed that of the outdoor, but they won't all be used to their maximum at the same time.

Please let me know what you think? I expect (hope) that I am in the right ball park, but would love to hear your opinion.

Many thanks.

-Tim

w0067814
19-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Oops, forgot to give further details.

Outdoor unit to be ground mounted to concrete path.
One-way distance from condenser to evaporator.

Sitting room = 8m
Bedroom 1 = 10m
Bedroom 2 = 15m

Regular two storey house.

-Tim

install monkey
19-05-2014, 09:36 PM
fit a door to the kitchen, dont buy LG- mitsi elec,mitsi heavy ,daikin or toshiba- basic rule of thumb allow 110watt/m2 for an idea of what size indoors you req, get a few quotes from an installer to size it and fit

The Viking
19-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately nowadays I can't be trusted on brand issues (as I now represent a manufacturer).

Anyhow, take my advice as you wish but:
Personally, as an engineer with 30 years experience of air-conditioning, there are few brands I wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge pole, the brand you mention just happens to be one of the two.

The big boys in this game (Daikin, Toshiba, Samsung, Mitsubishi) all offer similar units that also comes with good technical backup should things go wrong.
Another system for you look at would be Samsung's new "global duct" one outdoor unit to one indoor unit serving several rooms but still offering individual temperature control of each room.

Another thing to consider:
Are you doing this the right way around?
With most reputable A/C brands out there the vast majority of all the faults are installation related, the most important thing is therefore to find a good installer.

Ask around, find a couple of reputable/recommended installation companies and get a couple of quotes. See what equipment they recommend, ask them why and go with the company you trust the most and the kit they quoted.

:cool:

Rob White
20-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Hi All,

New to the forum.

Welcome.

Budget is not unlimited, but also I don't want to buy carp either.

Many years has shown me that if you buy on price alone
you invariably live to regret the decision.

Get a good installation company, one who can prove they can
do the job and let them do it properly.

Get three or four quotes, but listen to what the guys say and
don't just go for the cheapest because it is the cheapest.

Save a couple of hundred on the install even a couple of thousand
and you might be paying out for the rest of the systems life,
just remember, you will be paying for the thing to run and if
it is poorly sized, poorly installed or poor equipment individually
or combinations of all those issues may increase the running costs
by huge amounts, far in excess of the original thousand in the beginning.

Many thanks.

-Tim

Your welcome

Rob

leegally1983
20-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Right to start i am gona be a bit anal but what you are looking for is actually a multi split not a triple split lol a triple split would be a system which all indoors are in the same room so there is no individual control on each indoor unit.
Next all previous comments are bang on you need a good installation company trust me i work in Technical and Training and 99% of faults are bad installations not manufacturers faults.
Get three quotes and go for the middle one thats normally a good approach, and if its for domestic use Daikin, Toshiba, Mitsi, Fujitsu all good units dont be fooled by a ebay type unit even if it says powered by Toshiba compressors.
BTW it may be worth looking into the Fujitsu J11 system basically its a VRF system with a single fan condenser (outdoor unit)
Final tip get a good warranty parts and labour and a maintenance visit or two a year
Hope this helps

w0067814
20-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the replies chaps. I'll put out request for quote to local installers. If it doesn't contravene any forum rules, and you cover St Ives, Cambs, PM me a message.

Thanks
-Tim