PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Room Design 24V DC

jbelding
27-03-2006, 04:38 AM
My Father is trying to build a Goat cheese storage room for his farm. He wants to run it on 24V DC from his solar system. The room is almost built 15ft long 7ft high 7ft wide R80 insulation all round. He wants to keep it at 50F year round, and the hottest it gets here in the summer is 90F.
The question is what would be the best type/most efficient refrigeration system for this room and what special things should we consider when spec-ing a cooling system for this room.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JB

frank
28-03-2006, 09:19 PM
With only 24V available from the solar generator I suppose you should consider a Peltier type cooler :D

Brian_UK
28-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Although Danfoss make 12vdc and 24vdc compressors, the BDF range.

phil68
28-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Danfoss do a 24 vdc refrigeration compressor for caravan & lorry cab fridges, but I'm not sure it'd have sufficient ouptut to cool the size of room you've given, even with the req'd. 50 deg. F which isn't too low. If you were to go this route you also need to know the available wattage from the solar panels.

chemi-cool
29-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi jbelding,

Goats cheese can be tricky, is it simple soft white cheese or one of these smelly good things?

If you don't have electricity there, forget it, it will never work properly.

About 1.5 TR will do the job.
If you tell us what kind of cheese your dad is going to store, I can give you some helpful tips.

Chemi:)

jbelding
30-03-2006, 03:13 AM
His cheese is the hard smelly kind that needs to age for many months; hence the need for the storage room. He does have access to the grid, but he wanted to try to use the substantial solar system he has.
Thanks again for the help

star882
01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
What about an absorption system that runs from thermal solar collectors? If designed correctly, firewood can be used as a back up heat source.

chemi-cool
01-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi Hi jbelding,

Take into consideration that you will have to get rid of ammonia fumes from the cheese. If you do not change the air in the room, you will get holes in the copper pipes. SS coil is very expensive, epoxy coating will hold for many years.

I would check that absorption option.

LFFarm
02-04-2006, 02:41 PM
What about an absorption system that runs from thermal solar collectors? If designed correctly, firewood can be used as a back up heat source.
I'm the dad with the goats and "in construction" cheese making facility. Would you explain an absorbtion system? Thanks

LFFarm
02-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Hi jbelding,

Goats cheese can be tricky, is it simple soft white cheese or one of these smelly good things?

If you don't have electricity there, forget it, it will never work properly.

About 1.5 TR will do the job.
If you tell us what kind of cheese your dad is going to store, I can give you some helpful tips.

I'm the dad- We are making a raw milk, natural rind, semi-hard, aged over 60 day, goat cheese. Appreciate the help.

star882
02-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm the dad with the goats and "in construction" cheese making facility. Would you explain an absorbtion system? Thanks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorptive_refrigeration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_absorption_refrigerator