PDA

View Full Version : Gloves/PPE

Anz
02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Hi

What gloves do u guys use when handling gas? At college they said use latex gloves but I've found these to be pretty poo!

Cheers

monkey spanners
02-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Got some like these, expect they would act like a sponge with refrigerant though,

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Tegera-Work-Gloves/40-8445

Nitrile glove would be more robust than latex, I use them when working on oily/dirty stuff.

still learning
02-05-2014, 08:38 PM
i use gloves that are cotton with a bit of rubber around the fingers . i would call them general working gloves ?( any builder merchant ).
i use shut off valves on my lines and push whilst holding the hose and undoing the connector , quickly .
sometimes i say thats a bit cold and flick my glove off .
shock horror , sometimes the gloves are not around .
the more its done the better you get .
i think , yes respect what you are working with , but you are its master .

Anz
02-05-2014, 08:52 PM
I use those gloves the tight fit ones, usually with a latex over it. I do also have the "quick couplers" too but sometimes the unit is too close to the deck or other stuff in the way.

I've used some marigold type things with like fleece inside they seemed good but where massive n really awkward to use...

install monkey
03-05-2014, 09:55 AM
angled qwik couplers will help keep your glove fetish secret!:D

moondawn
04-05-2014, 11:15 PM
I use those gloves the tight fit ones, usually with a latex over it. I do also have the "quick couplers" too but sometimes the unit is too close to the deck or other stuff in the way.

I've used some marigold type things with like fleece inside they seemed good but where massive n really awkward to use...

i use argon gloves to take lines off shreader valves, find these really good eventually the burn would get through but takes alot longer than normal gloves.

NewmanRef
05-05-2014, 07:11 PM
I got the worst freeze burn of my career so far, the one time I wore gloves to take my gauges off a 410a system...

Tips:
check your hoses before you put them on. Any dirt or grit in the thread will make it harder to get off.

Reduce the system pressure at which point your hose is connected, anyway u can; drain high side hose into low side of system, pump down if possible before removing low side. Even just shutting down to equalise system will help. You should be doing this anyway to keep refrigerant loss to absolute minimum...

Get hoses with shut off valves or quick release. They are essential for working on air conditioners where shrader connections are only option.

Gloves, never found one suitable. The gloves that you can still actually move your fingers in don't prevent burns. The gloves that do stop burns are generally similar to boxing gloves and your more likely to loose the whole system charge and freeze burn the rest of your body or asphyxiate than successfully remove your hose.

install monkey
05-05-2014, 09:03 PM
did a pot change on a panasonic urban 407c 25kw cond
had core removers fitted to hi/lo side- degassed,pressure tested and vacced- recharged- and the f**king core remover came away from the female part of the schraeder- always the hi side- shut it off and got the core back in- frost bite on me fingers- oil splatter up the outdoor pcb- spent over an hour with ear buds wiping the pcb and warming it under the hand drier in the bogs- luckily got away with the repair- sent the core removers back to javac- reply was over tightened- cheeky f****** ********! wouldnt mind but im built for speed and dont have mong strength!- still dont wear gloves- usually use qwik couplers- angled ones

monkey spanners
05-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Got new Javac core tool, first time i used it it wouldn't seal on the fitting, had to use my 15 year old leaky one instead!

install monkey
05-05-2014, 09:43 PM
had them ones from climate ctr c & p ones- the knurled thumbscrew isnt the best, but them javac ones when u screw them onto a schraeder stubb- you have to rotate the entire thing to get it off.

monkey spanners
05-05-2014, 09:58 PM
The c&p one is my old one!