PDA

View Full Version : Samsung fridge - odd behaviour

iPixel
01-05-2014, 07:04 PM
I have a Samsung SR-L709EVSS fridge that has got me really confused...

About a week ago I noticed that the fridge was not operating...although the light would come on inside the fridge when I opened the door, so power was getting to the fridge. The digital temperature display was showing correctly - 1 Celsius for the fridge and -18 Celsius for the freezer.

I turned the power to the fridge OFF and then ON again. This prompted the fridge to start up, the compressor ran like normal, and the temperature panel indicated the real temperature - about 9 and -1 degree.

The compressor would continue to run until it reached it's goal temperature, and would switch to standby.

In standby mode, and with the temperature rising, the compressor would not restart. The temperature panel would also remain at the goal temp, and not rise accordingly.

To get the fridge compressor to start up again, I would have to cycle the power OFF/ON again, and it would work again....but only until it reached its goal temperature....then I would have to OFF/ON again the power

Any assistance or pointers would be appreciated.

BTW I took the cover off the circuit board and noticed a lithium battery cell on the board. I measured the voltage and am not getting any voltage off that battery

Thanks

John, South Africa

RCBARBER
06-05-2014, 10:43 PM
hiya,

could the temperture sensors/thermistors failed?

testing: dissconect temp sensors and measure resistance.

iPixel
11-05-2014, 11:29 AM
hiya,

could the temperture sensors/thermistors failed?

testing: dissconect temp sensors and measure resistance.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right - the CPU is not receiving temperature signals, so it must have something to do with the sensors or thermistors. The only time the CPU sends a temperature request signal (and successfully receives one back), is if I cycle the main power off and then back on again.

I don't know where the temp sensors or thermistors are - on the main board on top of the fridge...or built into the fridge somewhere else ?

This has driven me crazy. As a temporary measure I have had to fit a timer ON/OFF switch on the power outlet, to force the fridge power off and on again at intervals, so it can read the temperature and switch the compressor on.

Thanks again
John

RCBARBER
14-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Can't seem to find a wiring diagram online for it. You may be able to see them and trace back, they'll look like little copper cylinders with a 2core cable coming out the back, there should be 1 on each coil for coil temps, and one on the 'return air'. It's the return air that'll be the one your after.

However, the fact that it works when you restart it could indicate it's tripping on LP/HP.