PDA

View Full Version : Sabroe SAB 163 screws

SteveDixey
06-11-2001, 09:21 PM
Anyone any experience of the SAB 163 Mk 3 (or whatever they are on now) machines on ammonia freezing plants?

We have Mk.1 machine that just runs and runs, but the Mk.2 machine we run beside it is a right pain in comparison.

I may look at replacing some recips by using a screw compressor and I do not want to ignore the "better the devil you know" saying by going to another make of machine and then have to build up operational experience from scratch.

Thanks

Steve

Nigel
20-01-2002, 07:16 PM
Try a quote for a Howden screw comp with a Sabroe controller

SteveDixey
20-01-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Nigel
Try a quote for a Howden screw comp with a Sabroe controller

We have our own control system anyway, using Mitsubishi PLC's. If we switched, Grasso screws were one option as we have a good working relationship with Grenco, and so could rely on them to pull something out of the bag at short notice in the event of a problem if we ever needed it.

I know Howden screws have been around for a long time but I have absolutley no experience or knowledge of them. I'll check them out anyway, but this is a long to medium term thing anyway so there is no hurry.

I just want to check out if we could replace a couple of Sabroe TSMC 108's that tackle the base load on a cold store, and then use the rest of the Sabroe recips as a method of taking up demand over the base load.

Steve

Andy
21-01-2002, 10:21 PM
Hi, Steve, I too have worked on MK1 sabs and found them to be a good compressor, with only the slide rings giving any problems if they arn't changed. With regards to the Howdens, they would be a lot stronger than the MK1 sab, with some I know of running still after 30 Years of little to no maintenance.
On new jobs we have looked at putting on the newer grasso screws, but it's hard to pass by a compressor as relyible as a Howden WRV for no increase in COP. A howden is a very simple compressor which can be overhauled with few tools and none of them specilized.
Regards. Andy.

C. Noseworthy
23-03-2002, 01:53 AM
The SAB 163 Mk 3 is a much more reliable machine than the Mk2. They've put oil pumps back on the package & made some other improvements that eliminate many of the problems we had with the Mk2. Although the Howden is a reliable workhourse.