PDA

View Full Version : Kink in 3/8 gas pipe

Damian35
20-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help me.

It is a long story but I am installing the pipe work and installation for a Mitsubishi inverter at my house, with the final connections and commissioning by a local installer.

When inserting a 90 deg bend in the 3/8 gas line, I've managed to kink the pipe by 1 to 2mm which can hopefully be seen by the included photos. I know what went wrong, frustrating after several perfect practices with the pipe bender. It needs to be right and I'll go and buy another 15m of copper as soon as possible if necessary but just wanted confirmation that I need to start again with this.

I know I should have got someone to do the job for me but it would need a couple of visits given the other work what is going on, so like an idiot thought I would try and do it myself. Obviously gutted, especially as I wanted to get all the pipe work in this far on.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

install monkey
20-04-2014, 11:40 AM
cut the bend out and re do it, get a swaging kit

Damian35
20-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Hi,

Thanks off the reply - I think the swaying is out of my depth, especially given my inability to bend the pipe.

Anyone between Birmingham and Manchester with a 10m or 15m length of 3/8 tubing they want to sell!

Thanks again,

Damian

install monkey
20-04-2014, 12:08 PM
if the kink is outside then it can be repaired by the fella finishing off the job:cool:

Anz
20-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Get the flare block on it.
Stick the laggin on jobs a gooden :)

r.bartlett
20-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Really not worth the bother.lag it and forget about it..

Anz
20-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Agreed, seen worse :)

Damian35
20-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks all for the replies.

If I leave it, is it going to cause a future problem with ny 3.5kw unit. I'm still tempted to scrap it as I lesson learned and buy another coil of pipe?

Thanks again

Damian

Anz
20-04-2014, 04:26 PM
I personally wouldn't worry too much as it doesn't look that bad

monkey spanners
20-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Don't look too bad in the picture, if it is worse than it looks then clamping it in a flaring block will round it back out.

RANGER1
20-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Damian, forget about kink in tube, are you using correct grade of copper tube?
Must be for refrigeration & rated for refrigerant used. Otherwise there is a problem.

Damian35
20-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks all for replies.

Should be using correct pipe, bought with together with the units and other insulation (class 0) from well known air con wholesaler.

still learning
22-04-2014, 02:50 PM
i did spot the scoring of the pipe, and wondered how deep the scores were ?
i did one time have a leak on pipework which had being damaged as it was pulled thru a wall .
you could see it frosting when the unit was running and could wipe the frost away only to see it re form.
tiny tiny leak .
has it passed its presure test ?
other than that i like others would put the flaring block on it .

NewmanRef
22-04-2014, 07:08 PM
i did spot the scoring of the pipe, and wondered how deep the scores were ?
i did one time have a leak on pipework which had being damaged as it was pulled thru a wall .
you could see it frosting when the unit was running and could wipe the frost away only to see it re form.
tiny tiny leak .
has it passed its presure test ?
other than that i like others would put the flaring block on it .

Heat it up and rub some braze over the scores to be on safe side. The kink isn't worth worrying about. I would be more concerned about the scores. Dodgey benders??

Magoo
23-04-2014, 03:09 AM
Hi Damian,
do not worry about it, I have seen worse and they still operating.