PDA

View Full Version : MHI split popping fuse

Anz
20-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Hello,

Got a split that was dead when I got to do the maintenance on it.
Fuse spur had power in but the 13amp fuse had gone.

Replaced the fuse ran up n pot tried to kick in then popped the fuse in the spur again.
Checked the pot with my multi meter n seems ok.
The klixon looked charred n melted a bit, had continuity on both pins.

Reckon I need to borrow that Megger again?
Any thoughts?

Also my sniffer picked up a leak n traces of oil on the flares

Cheers

Anz
20-04-2014, 11:08 AM

Here's the klixon

install monkey
20-04-2014, 11:31 AM
cut a peice of 1/4 pipe about 25mm long- good for 60amp! haha. siezed pot, looks like its been getting hot, prob due to lack of cooling as you say u found oil on flares

Anz
20-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Haha.
So if I use the Megger, will it show it's seized? Or only show Locked rotor with a clamp?

Cheers

install monkey
20-04-2014, 12:09 PM
megger will only show the winding insulation is good, a clamp meter will show locked rotor when you try to run it

langy
21-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Has it got a capacitor on it?

Anz
21-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Think so yeah

jdunc2301
21-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Check uf value on capacitor... Make sure it's still good. Megger will check condition of windings. Check starting current using clamp on start up... You'll probably hear it being seized

Anz
22-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Came back this morning, put another fuse in, turned it on ran round to the cond n it's already popped! Could do with a hand :(

Tayters
22-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Is there an outdoor isolator and an indoor power supply to make things easy, otherwise I'm free end of the week. :-)

Check winding resistances and megger, check cap value on meter + charge with a megger if you fancy and check voltage to see it holds a charge and isn't shorting internally at higher voltage, check wires to comp not rubbed through and wired up right, disconnect comp and run system.

If it runs fine then comp has gone to the great fridge God Carpigiani. RIP lil' fella.

If fuse blows then Carpigiani has given her his blessing for continued operation so look for a dodgy fan motor, reversing valve or interconnect.
If you have a PSC compressor I guess there is only a simple PCB if at all on the unit?

Cheers,
Andy.

Anz
22-04-2014, 07:30 PM
I put it down to a seized pot, no isolator it's on a flex with a plug :)
Spoke to an old colleague who has already wrote the pot off, turns out it's cheaper for a new system than a new pot!
Apparently he has already put a quote in n the customer has previously said no as there is another unit in there.....

install monkey
22-04-2014, 08:39 PM
you never offered to diagnose that fujitsu general!- u man whore!:p

Is there an outdoor isolator and an indoor power supply to make things easy, otherwise I'm free end of the week. :-)

Check winding resistances and megger, check cap value on meter + charge with a megger if you fancy and check voltage to see it holds a charge and isn't shorting internally at higher voltage, check wires to comp not rubbed through and wired up right, disconnect comp and run system.

If it runs fine then comp has gone to the great fridge God Carpigiani. RIP lil' fella.

If fuse blows then Carpigiani has given her his blessing for continued operation so look for a dodgy fan motor, reversing valve or interconnect.
If you have a PSC compressor I guess there is only a simple PCB if at all on the unit?

Cheers,
Andy.