PDA

View Full Version : What's coming behind us

headgasket
23-03-2006, 09:41 PM
For last two days I have been working in a plant room were we have had a major problem engineers from my company and the site engineers have been trying to repair it as I looked around at one stage there was ten of us in the plant room the average age was about 49 not an apprentice in sight or any one who did not have grey hair so who is coming up behind us in the last 8 years I have had 5 apprentices working with me and they have all had the sack for being crap, are we in a dying trade or are computers going to fix things

US Iceman
23-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Computers cannot fix anything. Even if they could, I doubt the software could be written. ;)

This can be a tough business. If you do service work you have to work in all kinds of different weather, some of it not too comfortable.

The hours can be hard on family life.

When you are getting started, no one will hire you (unless you don't mind taking every crappy job that comes along).

Here is one I was told during an interview a long time ago.

" I would like to hire you, but you don't have much experience. Come back when you have learned some more."

Now for the chicken and the egg conundrum. Which one comes first?

If you work for someone they will not send you to any schools or training because they are afraid you will leave after the school is over or as soon as someone else offers more money.

If you do get lucky enough to get hired by a decent company everyone is probably too busy to teach you anything.

There is no such thing as long term employment anymore. Anyone can become a "marked man" when management screws up something and money has to be trimmed again and again.

...have had 5 apprentices working with me and they have all had the sack for being crap

Were they really crap or did anyone try to get them involved?

Lazy is one thing. Can't learn is something else. Bad attitudes, maybe. Not enough money, more than likely.

Why do WE keep working in the same field?

Brian_UK
23-03-2006, 10:32 PM
For last two days I have been working in a plant room were we have had a major problem engineers from my company and the site engineers have been trying to repair it as I looked around at one stage there was ten of us in the plant room the average age was about 49 not an apprentice in sight or any one who did not have grey hair so who is coming up behind us in the last 8 years I have had 5 apprentices working with me and they have all had the sack for being crap, are we in a dying trade or are computers going to fix thingsPun here I know but, don't blow a gasket friend and I'm not complaining about the grammar. Do you know that it makes you get out of breath when you don't see a full stop?

Yes, as Iceman said no-one wants you until you've got experience but they also won't give you the experience, stupid or what:confused:

US Iceman
23-03-2006, 10:38 PM
...stupid or what :confused:

You took the words right out of my mouth.:D

phil68
23-03-2006, 10:54 PM
You have to ask yourself who at that age says "I want to be a fridge engineer when I leave school." A lot of us become fridge engineers via unconventional routes, myself included. It's also very difficult later on in life to get a foot on first rung of the ladder in this trade as my 38 year-old non-fridgie mate has found out recently.

chillin out
23-03-2006, 11:20 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth.
it must have been while you were kissing him....LOL

Meat Loaf

About the app`s that were "crap"..

This , as we all know, is a hard job to do. Why is it when young lads come in , we expext them to know everything?
When you are tied to deadlines and some idiot in a suit is saying "is it fixed yet". Its hard to have patiance for young minds. I if time and money was not against us then we would have very good people taking over from us.

Chillin:) :)

john lawler
23-03-2006, 11:59 PM
I have had 5 apprentices working with me and they have all had the sack for being crap, are we in a dying trade or are computers going to fix things

i agree apprentices are crap!!! i had 1 out with me a while ago he was 19 and couldnt tie his shoelaces, thats no joke!! i could have slapped my "service manager". looks like it!!i went to an a/c service call just the other day and all systems were hooked up via computers, oh no we are doomed!!!lol

US Iceman
24-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Nothing stays the same. The good old days are gone.

In the age of today's world economy we have to keep learning something new and become better than we think we are.

Some of the control systems are crap. Software written by control people who have no idea how a refrigeration system operates.

Others are great.

I think this is one other area we have to learn something about.

I think some of the problems with the new generation should be laid at the feet of their parents. I have seen some of the kids like john lawler describes. Is it the kids fault??? Maybe, but then again maybe not.

Someone once said it takes a village to raise a kid. I think this ties in with some of Abes comments about an organization for fridgies.

We should be doing more to promote ourselves and why a young person would want to do what we do. Advocacy is not just about legislation, it is about the state of the industry.

When one of them shows at least some interest, we should give them a little credit for at least asking.

headgasket
24-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Sorry Brian.

Brian_UK
24-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Sorry Brian.Hey, don't apologise; I'm just a fussy old fart !:cool:

Peter_1
25-03-2006, 08:51 AM
I think some of the problems with the new generation should be laid at the feet of their parents. I have seen some of the kids like john lawler describes. Is it the kids fault??? Maybe, but then again maybe not.

It's indeed partially our fault: we say to our kids:' Learn good at school so that you can make good money, more then I do and make that you can do this without making your hands dirty'
We encourage them to do it better then we do.

headgasket
25-03-2006, 09:04 AM
I agree with you peter, bonjour or goede morgen,
I think we all want the next generation to do better, when I left school there was full employment I could do any job I wanted, but now I worry about my son’s what work will they be able to get as most employers look at qualifications an not on ability as in my day. All the apprentices I have had just want the money, how much will I be on when finished, not what are you doing and why,

US Iceman
25-03-2006, 05:11 PM
' Learn good at school so that you can make good money, more then I do and make that you can do this without making your hands dirty'

That quote is very close to what my grandfather told me when I was a young lad. His question was "why do you want to work all night in freezing or very hot weather?"

But he also said it was an honest living and something not everyone could perform well.

...most employers look at qualifications an not on ability as in my day

I think it would be very hard for someone to get started in this today. The big employers want university degrees which I think the employment office uses as a means to separate people.

You go to college and graduate and you have a degree. Someone with 10 years of experience may not have a degree, but would certainly know his way around a refrigeration system.

Now we are back to the main problem; how do you get experience when no one will hire you?

jamcool
25-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Guys,
I ask myself the same question everyday,If i ever figure out how to get around thet age old question of getting experience when the major companies wont hire I would be a happy person.
Its good to see the seasoned guys:) concerned about the future of the trade,I myself although not as seasoned as some:) is very much concerned,I could tell you all personal stories of myself trying to better myself and my work and the walls that have come up in my way, but this might not be the forum to try get personal milage. All i would like to say is if any of you guys see in a rookie the potentail and the drive and hunger to learn please continue to nurture that rookie,there are still guys out there that wants to stay, willing to stay in the trade.
Keep the faith,coming from a rookie:)