PDA

View Full Version : York (Johnsons) employment opportunities

coolass
23-03-2006, 08:43 PM
First time on this forum but thought some of you might be able to help.

York are looking for new engineers at the moment and appear to be re-structuring the management side of the company.

Would you consider working for this company? If not why?

Andy
23-03-2006, 08:52 PM

York are looking for new engineers at the moment and appear to be re-structuring the management side of the company.

If they hadn't sacked the managers they had new ones would not have to be found:(

Being a manager york in the UK would be like playing russian roulet:D

Not a good place to go for a long term future I would say, aleast for the time being:)

Kind Regards Andy:)

NoNickName
23-03-2006, 08:54 PM
York already underwent major restructuration. When York bought Officine di Seveso, now Seveso Clima, in Barlassina (Italy) there was a revamp of engineers hiring.
After few years, the facilities were sold to Electra / Itelco (mixed Israeli-Swiss joint) and engineers+technicians were at first fired, and then re-hired at lower wages.
I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson will speculate on York logo, like York did on Seveso and Electra did on York.

kris
23-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Good kit to work on but don't look after there engineers.
No travel time, yet expect you to be on site at the crack of dawn,usually 100 miles from home. Oh and you have to pay for your own petrol travelling into the office!!

SteveDixey
24-03-2006, 06:10 PM

I think Lazarus might be along to answer this one shortly.....He was so impressed with York, he left the country:rolleyes:
Steve

marley821
25-03-2006, 04:58 PM
I worked there for 7 years they are not good to work for, no travel time and the money was garbage.

Lazarus
25-03-2006, 05:12 PM
LOL (ROTFPMP more like) .............. in one Steve

Work for York .... Havent had a laugh like that in a while...

No Coolass i would not advise that as a way of forwarding your career.

SteveDixey
25-03-2006, 07:21 PM
LOL (ROTFPMP more like) .............. in one Steve

Thought you'd like that one :)

Steve

lampost
27-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Might not pay travel time but plenty of overtime from warranty work. Not one piece of NEW kit ever got away first time and when it did it usually lost its gas or blew up!!!

gaffa
27-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Be carefull of there drive time pay structure.

Alex Harvey
27-04-2006, 11:38 PM
With York closing the factory at Basildon and having to import all the equipment from the USA or Europe the UK sales of new equipment will drop. Therefore less warranty work, less new equipment to commission.

Clearly York are not expanding, so why do they need new engineers! Draw your own conclusion.

But working for them will not look bad on your CV and you may gain some good experience. No where is perfect.

Are there any past or present employees who advise Coolass in more detail.

frank
28-04-2006, 09:46 PM

After all the s**t I've had dealing with the company there is no way I'd ever consider working for them. We look after York cond units and chillers and they are a load of c**p, build quality low, control = low level, etc. although I've heard some say that the newer stuff is much improved. We can only make judgement on what we know. For me it's a no.

2 good friends of mine do work for them but - hey - each to their own. :)

jamcool
29-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Always thought York was a good company to work for:o
did some work experience with them in the UK a while back,had no complains but then again it was WORK EXPERIENCE:) here in the west I think it might be a bit better than in europe as to the varity and type of kit sold by York,as to how they treat their workers,thats another matter.
Will but myself up to find out for you guys,so any York reps. willing to sign me up to the company let me know:)
just doing it to get a first hand view of the company:rolleyes: :)

iceman3412
05-03-2007, 11:03 PM
I think workiing for any company has its highs and lows, a company that pays top dollar expects engineers to work their nuts off, nowadays its a compramise with what you can get from a company and what you can claw back from them in overtime etc.
as they say same **** different uniform

graeme ellis
06-03-2007, 11:35 AM
lol lol lol lol lol lol can i vomit now?Even in Australia johnsons are ####

Shakey
06-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Ha I actually went for a job interview at York yesterday for a management role. Money seems OK but am a little concerned over the take over and re-structuring.

iceman3412
06-03-2007, 06:46 PM
at the moment johnsons have taken any thing good from york, they are cutting maintenance times, the york car list has shrunk considerably to 1 badge fleet, production bonus has been put on hold, now is the time to join as they have nothing else to take away.

nh3wizard
06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Where do I sign up!!! Just kidding