PDA

View Full Version : Williams WBC30 - Blast Chiller

tinbob
07-04-2014, 09:19 PM
I have a faulty compressor on a Williams Stand-up Blast Chiller . . . replacement comp is £400, replacement unit is nearly £4000!! Obviously they want the comp changing, I don't work on these very often and I didn't get the chance to have a good look at it, but the discharge pipe from the comp is brazed in, but how the hell do you get to it? Does the condenser unit pull out?

Brian_UK
07-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Can you not cut the pipe somewhere more convenient?

tinbob
07-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Hi Brian, like I say, I didn't get the chance to have a good look at it, but from I saw, the discharge pipe goes to a T-piece, it splits between going to the condenser coil and a solenoid valve, which I presume is for some kind of hot gas de-frost. The problem is that it is all very compact, I could barely see the discharge joint, I just wondered if the the actual condenser unit pulls out some how?

install monkey
07-04-2014, 10:17 PM
braze some pipe onto the new compressor before you fit it- check the capillary line isnt run inside the suction line- youll have fun if you chomp it and find a capillary inside- been there done that! haha

tinbob
07-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks, the suction looks rota-lock type fitting, but the discharge is brazed and looks a pig, I can hardly see it:mad:, how the hell can I unsweat it and re-braze it? I'm sure the condenser unit slides out some how?

install monkey
07-04-2014, 10:59 PM
undo suction rotorlock, unbolt comp, slide it away to allow space to either cut the pipe with a hacksaw right near the pot- then it can be unsweated and refitted( ensure no swarf gets in the pipework- or cut it with tube cutters

tinbob
08-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks for that, I had another look at it today, the condenser unit underneath is a l'unite hermetique, I'm sure I remember that years ago these used to pull out but this looks different:confused:, will have to wait and see, comp on order :)

monkey spanners
08-04-2014, 10:20 PM
I have some wire cutters like these, http://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-cable-cutter-210mm/51831

they will cut through copper pipe when you cant get a pipe cutter in. You could potentially chop the discharge pipe off the comp and when its out the way unsweat it. If you have an oxy acetylene then i expect you could quickly braze it back in the new compressor. You may need to file off some braze to get it to fit in the hole.
I use yellow dusters soaked in water to prevent heat from brazing damaging anything, also have a small sheet of ali that makes a good heat shield. If there is not enough room then do as others have said and braze a stub on it to reach to where its easier.

tinbob
09-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks for that monkey spanners