PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant Recovery

peadar1987
05-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I'm designing a test rig to run on various mixtures of R245fa and pentane for my doctoral thesis, so at some point, I'm going to have to completely empty the system and charge it with a new working fluid.

I've had a look at a wide variety of refrigerant recovery systems, such as the Caresaver Universal, the Promax 25176B and RG6000, the Appion G1 Single and Twin, and the Javac XTR Pro.

However, none of these appear to be certified to deal with R245fa, and especially with mixtures.

Has anyone used any of these units before? Would it be safe to use them with R245fa or isopentane? Does anyone know of a unit certified to deal with these refrigerants and their mixtures?

Thanks in advance!

joe-ice
05-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Only make i know of that would be certified for hc type gases is made by a company called rda engineering . google rda caresaver

Rob White
05-04-2014, 10:23 PM

That is the one we use and it does the job.

http://www.rda-eng.com/caresaver.html

Rob

peadar1987
06-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks very much for your responses, they've been a great help!

Any opinions on whether these units would be able to safely handle any blends of R245fa and HC refrigerants we put together in the lab? Or is there a good reason for us not to do this?

Rob White
06-04-2014, 11:40 PM

I see no reason why the machine will not be able to deal with any blend.
The only thing you need to be aware of is the recovery cylinder, make
sure it is never filled more than 45% of its capacity and make sure it is
labeled up with whatever you put into it.

Rob

peadar1987
10-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the help!

ORLOVA
25-04-2014, 10:38 AM
I've had the same problem on more then one occasion, that is getting dirty or contaminated recovery cylinders. Now i buy the one shots and just put a valve on it. Never had a problem with those. If working on a larger system Im forced to use recovery cylinder, i use a dryer and hope for the best..

peadar1987
08-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Just a quick update in case anyone was interested.

On talking to the manufacturers, none of them recommend using their machines with any flammable refrigerants, so isopentane is out. They have also said that R245fa can't be used because it's flammable (in spite of my assertions that pentafluoro-propane isn't the same as just propane).

I think we're going to go ahead and use the Javac XTR Pro. They won't certify it for use with r245fa because they believe that it's flammable, but I'm confident enough that it's not, based on the fact that anyone who produces it says that it isn't, and it is even used as a fire suppressant in certain applications.

Thanks for all the responses!

Rob White
08-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the update.

Regards

Rob

The MG Pony
25-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Why not just make a dedicated recovery system off the same compressor you're going to be running it in?

Onsyi
26-07-2014, 01:17 PM
On talking to the manufacturers, none of them recommend using their machines with any flammable refrigerants
Of course, if they are allowed to use their stations, they will take all the responsability for the consequences. And this none of the manufacturers will not do.
What are the conditions of fire?
Oxygen.
Pressure.
Temperature.
Chemical reactions.
If you be leak proof and purity tank, low pressure and temperature ... That, in my opinion, to pump explosive gas low pressure you can use regular evacuation station.

peadar1987
21-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Why not just make a dedicated recovery system off the same compressor you're going to be running it in?

Unfortunately as it's an Organic Rankine Cycle System, we're using a liquid pump, and not a compressor. The pump won't tolerate vapour at the inlet. Thanks for the idea though!

peadar1987
21-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Of course, if they are allowed to use their stations, they will take all the responsability for the consequences. And this none of the manufacturers will not do.
What are the conditions of fire?
Oxygen.
Pressure.
Temperature.
Chemical reactions.
If you be leak proof and purity tank, low pressure and temperature ... That, in my opinion, to pump explosive gas low pressure you can use regular evacuation station.

I think you're right, and they're probably just being cautious. As per my previous post, I think if we stay clear of things that are very flammable, like pure alkanes, we should be alright.

MikeHolm
22-08-2014, 02:13 AM
what kind of liquid pump?

peadar1987
09-09-2014, 03:36 PM
what kind of liquid pump?

It's a Hydra-Cell G20 Diaphragm pump. The manufacturer says we're looking at some serious damage to the inlet port and valves if we allow cavitation to occur.