PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsu Ducted system diagnosis!

Kev The Tool
30-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Went to house the other day with a complaint of ducted system not working. I turned it on and got no outdoor unit response at all. after speaking to the owner she told me she had a tech in before me and he told her the compressor was shot and needed a whole new system $8000 thankyou, so i pressed the pump down button on the condensor and the compressor burst into life for the 50 or so seconds it should have ran for. I then put the system on test and no response, so i told her i would need to change the indoor pcb. Changed the pcb and system now works fine. She asked me if was worth calling the previous company to try and get her money back for mis-diagnosis, i said it could be worth a shot. the company sent her the response from the technician who visited first. This was his response:

"I remember this job, and I can say she just wasted money for replacement of the indoor PB.

The issue that was presented to us: "AC not cooling enough” would not have been rectified.

On those particular units the compressor can mislead you by appearing like it is working, when in fact it is actually not and you cant fulfil the cooling functions on hot days.

In regards to the compressor recirculation, it is not working at full capacity and as such it will only allow for 30-40% of the gas recirculation to take place. As their is a shortage of gas inside the compressor, when the unit is used on really warm days again, the same cooling issue will be prevalent again even though the boards have been replaced.

Only an experienced technician who has experience with these units and this particular problem would know this. To confirm this diagnosis and my words, you can call Fujitsu tech support (as I did when i was on site) and discuss with them this particular issue.

I am happy to talk to the customer again if she would like and explain to her how she has wasted her money by replacing the indoor PCB as the unit will not sufficiently cool during warm weather in the summer."

What are your thoughts?

Kev

marc5180
30-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Went to house the other day with a complaint of ducted system not working. I turned it on and got no outdoor unit response at all. after speaking to the owner she told me she had a tech in before me and he told her the compressor was shot and needed a whole new system $8000 thankyou, so i pressed the pump down button on the condensor and the compressor burst into life for the 50 or so seconds it should have ran for. I then put the system on test and no response, so i told her i would need to change the indoor pcb. Changed the pcb and system now works fine. She asked me if was worth calling the previous company to try and get her money back for mis-diagnosis, i said it could be worth a shot. the company sent her the response from the technician who visited first. This was his response:

"I remember this job, and I can say she just wasted money for replacement of the indoor PB.

The issue that was presented to us: "AC not cooling enough” would not have been rectified.

On those particular units the compressor can mislead you by appearing like it is working, when in fact it is actually not and you cant fulfil the cooling functions on hot days.

In regards to the compressor recirculation, it is not working at full capacity and as such it will only allow for 30-40% of the gas recirculation to take place. As their is a shortage of gas inside the compressor, when the unit is used on really warm days again, the same cooling issue will be prevalent again even though the boards have been replaced.

Only an experienced technician who has experience with these units and this particular problem would know this. To confirm this diagnosis and my words, you can call Fujitsu tech support (as I did when i was on site) and discuss with them this particular issue.

I am happy to talk to the customer again if she would like and explain to her how she has wasted her money by replacing the indoor PCB as the unit will not sufficiently cool during warm weather in the summer."

What are your thoughts?

Kev

How can she have wasted her money if the unit is now cooling.

What was their origional call out complaint? Was it the unit wasn't bringing the temperature of the room down or was it the unit won't run?

If it was the latter then they are definatly pulling a fast one.

marc5180
30-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Reading that again, there's a couple of statements that stand out;

Compressor recirculation is around 30-40% how do they know that?

There is a shortage of gas inside the compressor? Is this on R22 otherwise why else would they suggest to replace the unit when it's SOG.

Kev The Tool
30-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks Marc, the reason i put this out there is that i am going to email my customer the reason i believe she was ripped off,
Reason 1, Compressor ran for 50 secs approx on pump down mode which is what Fujitsu say it should take for this process, thus, i believe the compressor is running correctly otherwise this procedure would have taken longer if it was running at 30-40%.
Reason 2, If the Compressor was not running (which is what this guy told the customer), how did he know it was running at 30-40%.
Reason 3, The guy never once looked in the roof space at the indoor unit, therefore i believe didn't carry out a proper diagnosis.
Reason 4, once i changed the indoor pcb the outdoor ambient was 35c and the system was producing around 11c at the outlet grille.
thanks

Kev

Kev The Tool
30-03-2014, 10:57 AM
sorry Marc just re read your post, the original complaint was unit wasn't cooling, and the unit is on R410a.

marc5180
30-03-2014, 04:16 PM
sorry Marc just re read your post, the original complaint was unit wasn't cooling, and the unit is on R410a.

Definatly trying to pull a fast one then. It sounds like the guy who attended the service call hasn't got a clue which isn't fair on the customers that he is ripping off!!

Kev The Tool
30-03-2014, 05:38 PM
I do come across it a lot down here in oz mate, company's send lads who are still training to diagnose stuff they've never seen before and charge full price. The lads just say the units f**ked you need a new one hoping the customer will go for it. You would also be surprised how many do!

marc5180
30-03-2014, 06:36 PM
That's a poor show but it must work in your favour sometimes.

Your location shows as Birmingham? When did you move over to OZ?

Kev The Tool
30-03-2014, 10:57 PM
It does work in my favour but you have to feel for the people who are shelling out for s*it workmanship, some of the stuff that goes on here is shocking. Been in oz 2 years now Marc, i tried to change my location but cant seem to do it.