PDA

View Full Version : r22 CLARIFICATION

r.bartlett
28-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Chaps
in discussion with a FM manager about the impending R22. We were wondering how far you take the law.

from jan 1 2015

is it correct that if you fit gauges to an R22 system you must remove and change the refrigerant
2 if you change a component -drier for example- you must remove and change the refrigerant.

TIA

Richard

marc5180
28-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Personally if a system is showing signs of trouble and gauges have to be fitted but then the problem is something that doesn't require breaking into the system, I wouldn't be changing the refrigerant.
But..... most of our clients have already been pre-warned about the impending R22 phase out and quite a few are changing their units or have asked us to retrofit them already.

If we have to break into the system for any reason then at minimum the refrigerant would be changed/retrofitted but we would also recommend changing the unit (if this is viable) for a more energy efficient unit.

frank
28-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Just like the rest of the fGas debacal ... it won't be policed so don't stress over it.

As I read it, it won't be illegal to continue operating R22 equipment after 31 Dec '14, it will just be illegal if you have to break in to the system, at which point you will have to recover the R22 and put in a replacement.

It can't become illegal for us to handle R22 after the 31st Dec as this would stop the recovery of any remaining R22.

I read this week in the Cooling Post that individuals (i.e. US) are being encouraged to report any firms that have not had their A/C equipment Energy Efficiency Inspections done as the Trading Standards are not policing it. What chance R22 phase out?

r.bartlett
28-03-2014, 02:25 PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182590/fgas-rac8-hcfc-phase-out.pdf

This means that it is permissible to carry on using equipment that contains HCFCs beyond the phase-out dates, but there must be no maintenance or servicing undertaken on the equipment that involves breaking into the refrigerant circuits.

install monkey
28-03-2014, 07:43 PM
so you can still bash the filters in 2016 and clip current but not fit gauges