PDA

View Full Version : Law and Leak detection

Bakerbj
21-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Is it Law or coming Law that systems have to have an annual leak detection test ????

US Iceman
21-03-2006, 03:53 AM
We have something like this here in the US right now. If the leakage rate exceeds a certain value, you have a specific time to get the leak fixed before the fines start to pile up.

Even if you are not aware of the leak the environmental people can request you service invoices to see how much refrigerant has been charged into the system.

From the information I have seen, don't get caught! :o

Argus
21-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Is it Law or coming Law that systems have to have an annual leak detection test ????

Yes it's coming. but it will only apply to HFCs. You need to see my previous posts on the new F Gas Regulation. Article 3 will impose a legal duty on the operator of equipment containing HFCs. The link in this thread will take you to the latest (UNOFFICIAL) agreed text.

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4057

It's not passed yet - aweaiting the 3 rd reading vote, but expected later this year.

Good news if you are a contractor.

DEFRA / DTI and the UK trade bodies are consulting about testing methodologies but it's all shrouded in secrecy.

________
Lincoln Capri history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Lincoln_Capri)

NoNickName
21-03-2006, 10:46 AM

Yep, it will be voted in June. Council of Europe conciliation n.25/2005, procedure 2005/C 183 E/01

old gas bottle
21-03-2006, 07:44 PM
think its annual for 3 kg in a system, then it goes up to every 3 months for larger systems,does it apply to drop in/blends ? iam not sure,

NoNickName
21-03-2006, 08:31 PM
think its annual for 3 kg in a system, then it goes up to every 3 months for larger systems,does it apply to drop in/blends ? iam not sure,

It applies to all HFC disregarding.

al
21-03-2006, 11:39 PM
it will be law for all refrigerants (at least here), also one that escaped most people is that since january you can not top up or break into a system containing drop in replacements for R12 like mp39 etc........:eek: i sense a handy bit of work coming up:D :D

al