PDA

View Full Version : coldroom lights

stevo
18-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Can anyone recommend suitable lights for a small walk in chiller and freezer, as the bulkheads supplied with three rooms we have installed keep blowing the 60w e.s lamps every few days or so, would it be inferior bulkheads or the lamps ? what about these low energy lamps if kept on continually in case they cannot strike in -21 c ( the suppliers have told me they can operate down to -30 c ! )

phil68
18-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Yep, all I fit now are the energy saving bulbs to the bulkhead lamps. They will 'strike' at -20 but take a little longer to reach full light output, but you might as well leave them on all the time as the 60w equivilents only consume about 10 watts & they also last 10-20 times longer. Just make sure that the energy saving bulb you're fitting isn't physically too large as they vary from make to make. Sometimes it's possible to fit a 100w equivilent in place of a 60w ES which is OK as it still produces much less heat & consumes less power than the 60w ES that the bulk head light is rated for.

chillin out
18-03-2006, 11:24 PM
I also use an 'energy saving' bulb in my lead-lamp. Its lasted about a year now!!!!!

Yes, maybe it doesn`t get used every day,(gets used about 2-3 times a week) but it does get dropped at least 5 times every use and also rattles about the van every day.

If anybody wants any tips on how to look after there gear, just call me....LOL

Chillin:) :)

stevo
19-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Yep, all I fit now are the energy saving bulbs to the bulkhead lamps

Cheers chaps ! :)

old gas bottle
19-03-2006, 07:58 PM
hi matey,we use 6ft twin ip65 coldstore fittings,yes the do make them but you have to ask, work down to -30 [or there abouts] strike up no problem,just take a bit longer to get to full lux as you would expect.just silicon where the cable enters so the dont fill up with condension,cheers.

old gas bottle
20-03-2006, 09:02 AM
oh the other thing is ,if you use the standard bulb it has to be a "hard surface type " theese last a bit longer,its the switching on and off and heating up in low temps that does them in,waste of time.

Gwyn
21-03-2006, 11:03 PM
strip lights its the only way mate, have been fitting them for some time now and not been back to change any tubes on mine, just make sure you use silicone for the hols etc. and customers leave them on most of the time so full power is not a problem!

john lawler
23-03-2006, 08:06 PM
hi,

i had the exact same problem with a crio cabin walk in chill and freezer,i went to b+q and bought outside weatherproof lights, around a tenner each, and energy saving light bulbs which can operate down to -30 havent heard from it since (7months ago) touch wood lol!

regards john

Iankp
28-03-2006, 08:00 PM
For what it's worth. Although corrosion proof flourescent or low energy bulbs are the best option. If you wish to use bulkhead light fittings for cost purposes then use rough service bulbs which are designed to be used in lead lamps and have tougher filaments. Standard corrosion proof IP67 flouresent fittings can be made to fire at -25C if retrofitted with electronic starters, (available from electrical wholesalers), although as it has been said before they take a while to acheive full brightness at low temperatures.

Andy T
01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
I used electronic ballast on 6ft sealed fittings and ran self limit heater trace along the internal back of the tube plate. Only one fitting in my first trial freezer room.The next time I convert one with more fittings and only fit a heater to one to see the results.

yorkytom
02-04-2006, 12:25 AM
hi , dont know where to post this, but just want to say thanks to bitzer fot the international seminar.

frank
02-04-2006, 01:26 PM
hi , dont know where to post this, but just want to say thanks to bitzer fot the international seminar.

Hi yorkytom and welcome to the forum.

As far as I know, we don't have any Bitzer representatives who visit the forum so your appreciation may go unheard :)

Ireland
05-04-2006, 11:37 PM
We have used a low-temperature flourescent fitting where ever we need to fit a light in a room.

Most times now with a new site we arrange in advance for the site electricians to organise the coldroom lights.

This usually means the lights are left on while the staff are there and it gets rid of the nuisance calls for us to a light bulb.