PDA

View Full Version : An interesting one...

tonashp
26-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Had a customer who asked me to look at his coldroom. He said many engineers have looked and nothing ever lasted. Told me his water bill is thru the roof. Had a quick look on the weekend. First thing I noticed was the Evap had r22 written on it and in poor condition, I can see the last guy who looked at it thought duct tape was the solution to all problems.
Anyway moving on, he showed me where the condensing unit was, you could hear the water going in and back out to the drain.
I said best bet is to upgrade to a current gas r404a/r134a.

Went back and had better look today, Evap has seen better days, measured up the room which is 22m3. Tried to have a better look and the condensing unit, wasn't able to get much details off it apart from thermofrostcyro and 97date. I could see the heat exchanger but unlike other systems I have worked on its piped mains cold water into the top and from the bottom straight to drain. No outdoor heat exchanger. Just straight to drain.

I don't think it's worth trying to fit a outdoor heat exchanger with the r22 ban around the corner.

Questions are how has this system worked, if ever?
If you want to fit a water cooled outdoor part, where do you get them from?
Or do I suggest I go to hawco and purchase a coldroom kit and start a fresh?

Brian_UK
26-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Would have thought that there should have been a water control valve fitted to regulate the head pressure.

cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/125687.PDF

monkey spanners
26-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Why is the system water cooled? Is there problems with planning or a lack of outdoor room?

tonashp
26-02-2014, 08:35 PM
There was a solenoid valve which I would expect.

I can't see why it is getting rid of the water, surely there should be some form of water condenser?

tonashp
26-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Why is the system water cooled? Is there problems with planning or a lack of outdoor room?

Well there some space outdoors, but I know normally outdoor condensing units aren't fitted due to neighbours complaining about noise, etc. I wasn't aware of any planning issues.

The manager wasn't there today, so will have to find out what the deal is regarding fitting an outdoor condensing unit

FreezerGeezer
27-02-2014, 02:41 AM
Just get an ultra low noise condenser - it'll likely be larger, but as long as it'll fit it's happy days.

Gary
27-02-2014, 04:23 PM
I could see the heat exchanger but unlike other systems I have worked on its piped mains cold water into the top and from the bottom straight to drain.

Top down water flow is a major mistake. Bottom up eliminates air pockets and fills all of the nooks and crannies. Also, counter flow or cross flow is far more effective than parallel flow.

The second major mistake is the lack of a water regulating valve.

Gary
27-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Something like this:

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/content/us/en/products/building_efficiency/products-and-systems/commercial-refrigeration/commercial_refrigeration/valves/pressure/v46std/v46reverse.html