PDA

View Full Version : Daikin VRV 3 Outdoor Unit Connection

mtremblay
25-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Out company doesn't have a service checker tool and I've been doing work at a jobsite where indoor unit (remote controller) access can be difficult due to tenants not being present. I was told by a Daikin Technician that it's possible to connect up a remote controller to the outdoor unit in order to view fault codes etc. I tried to do this at the F1/F2 IN connection points as I'd seen the Service Checker connected in the past, but the remote controller wouldn't even power up. I ended up calling Daikin tech support in Texas and ran it by them. They assured me there was no way of connecting a remote controller to the outdoor unit for purposes of troubleshooting and that I'd have to either check LED flash codes or purchase Service Checker.

Has anyone else heard that it's possible to connect a remote controller directly to an outdoor unit PC board? Did I connect to the incorrect terminals? Would be nice to have a Service Checker but we've been told Daikin factory training is a prerequisite to purchase the device.

M# REYQ120PATJ

Thanks!

nigne2011
26-02-2014, 08:51 AM
hi, F1/F2: Indoor to outdoor, outdoor to outdoor transmission wiring F1, F2 disconnection, short circuit
or wrong wiring.

see more.. (http://www.airconditioningfaultcodes.com/daikin-vrv-3-fault-codes.html)

r.bartlett
26-02-2014, 09:11 AM
afaik you cannot fit a controller to the outdoor unit. the only possible way would be to run a temp cable from one of the indoor units to the roof. can you not ring someone in an office to tell you what it is?

The checker is only as good as the guy who can work it. If you don't know how to operate it you will not have a clue what it tells you. I have had one for years and quite frankly most of it is lost on me...

get the code then start from there.

install monkey
26-02-2014, 06:21 PM
sanyo's vrf you can hook a remote controller to the outdoor;)

r.bartlett
26-02-2014, 07:26 PM
sanyo's vrf you can hook a remote controller to the outdoor;)

Will a Sanyo controller work on a Daikin or should he just replace the outdoor unit for a sanyo?

troymedhurst
26-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Will a Sanyo controller work on a Daikin or should he just replace the outdoor unit for a sanyo?

That made me chuckle!

mtremblay
26-02-2014, 08:01 PM

lol Sanyo...Daikin who cares as long as I can hook up a remote controller.

Maybe the Daikin Tech meant connecting an itouch or something else. Oh well, just would have been handy as each outdoor unit at this installation only serves 5-6 residential suites, sometimes none of the tenants are at home while I'm at site.

I don't have much experience with Daikin VRV so I'm glad to hear that it is generally doable to service these systems without the service checker. This Monday was my 2nd callout to this building for a breakdown (1st was outdoor coil leak at tube sheet, Monday found comp#2 of a different unit shorted to ground) and it's been a pretty steep learning curve navigating through all the flash code LEDs to check/perform various functions. Thanks for the verifying this for me guys.