PDA

View Full Version : Hanging door - help!

Freezer Geezer2
18-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Apologies all - not a service engineer just a householder with a problem, needing some help please.
The door on my Hotpoint MistralPlus Frost Free appliance hangs too low when the door is open. The hinge is tight enough (I think) to the cabinet, but to shut the door I need to lift it up higher on to the rod (?) or screw (?) that connects the door to the hinge. Is this to do with the unit not standing flat on the floor, I don't think it is, more to do with something not being tightened up enough.
Every so often I try tightening the screw more to the cabinet but it doesn't really a) need it I don't think b) help anyway.
Any clues? Help much needed on this as the door won't close without being lifted into place and my wife doesn't lift it all the way in, just bangs it against the cabinet first, damagng the cupboard next to the unit, where the overganging door scrapes it.

Thanks again,
Simon

stevo
18-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Apologies all - not a service engineer just a householder with a problem, needing some help please.
The door on my Hotpoint MistralPlus Frost Free appliance hangs too low when the door is open. The hinge is tight enough (I think) to the cabinet, but to shut the door I need to lift it up higher on to the rod (?) or screw (?) that connects the door to the hinge. Is this to do with the unit not standing flat on the floor, I don't think it is, more to do with something not being tightened up enough.
Every so often I try tightening the screw more to the cabinet but it doesn't really a) need it I don't think b) help anyway.
Any clues? Help much needed on this as the door won't close without being lifted into place and my wife doesn't lift it all the way in, just bangs it against the cabinet first, damagng the cupboard next to the unit, where the overganging door scrapes it.

Thanks again,
Simon

Hi; sounds like one of the hinges need tightening or re adjusting especially if the door is hitting the next door cabinet, is it a built in appliance ? i would recommend you get to the door hinges to see more clearly ! :)

Peter_1
18-03-2006, 05:54 PM
On the axe of the hinge is sometimes a plastic bush/sleeve (don't know the correct English word for it) Perhaps it's weared out.
Or your fridge isn't standing flat/level. Most probably cause I think.

Freezer Geezer2
18-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Hmmm - re both posts so far.
Doesn't seem to be much more I can tighten on the hinge.
Will look at the legs etc and how it stands. But does the position of the legs affect this particular problem? Am i missing the obvious point that maybe when the door is open that is hanging as per gravity and that the rest of the cabinet is 'off' centre in some way?
Is it worth taking the door and hinge off away the fridge unit to look at them first, or to play with the legs?

old gas bottle
19-03-2006, 07:52 PM
try taking the door off and drop a couple of stainless or plastic washers on the centre hinge to lift it up, its probley just a little worn with the weight of milk bottles etc in the door.

Robearbam
22-03-2006, 04:33 PM
On the axe of the hinge is sometimes a plastic bush/sleeve (don't know the correct English word for it) Perhaps it's weared out.
Or your fridge isn't standing flat/level. Most probably cause I think.

What said here is true... and..on my refrig (Amana)...Also there is a visible bolt head in front of the hinge that actually raises and lowers the door. I'm not a frig guy but I would think they would have this on all doors as to allow for wear on the hinge.

northern-tech
30-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Is this a 2 door style, one for the freezer, and one fo the fridge ?? If it is, the top freezer door, will be adjustable by loosening the top bolts on the bracket, on top of the fridge. It may be under a small triangle plastic piece, which should pry up nicely. Basically, loosen the 3 bolts, ( hold the door as you loosen he last one........then move the door into position, and tighten the bolts.:)