PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerante recovery machine

Acrisoft
24-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Hi

I will soon buy a recovery machine but for while I would like to demonstrate for somes students how to extract refrigerant from system. ( 9000 BTU unit).

Is it possible to vaccum a cylinder and then have it the suck the refrigerant from a condenser unit ?

Then repair the unit and have it to suck refrigerant from the cylinder ?

Moises

Brian_UK
24-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Quick answer is yes.

Some loss of refrigerant charge is likely though unless you can get the condensing unit to pump close to zero pressure to suck the last grammes from the cylinder.

The Viking
24-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Short answer; NO.

When the pressures in your cylinder and your system reaches equilibrium you will still have a significant amount of refrigerant in your system. Sorry.

:cool:

passandscore
25-02-2014, 03:27 AM
Here are some loose guidelines.

Best case scenario for reclaiming without a machine:
1) You can pull a vacuum of the reclaim bottle
2) Get the bottle as cold as possible by keeping it in a freezer overnight if possible
3) Increase the head pressure as high as possible by disabling fans or water flow
4) Open your hoses and begin transferring. The refrigerant will move quick. There may be residual gas remaining.

Best case scenario for charging without a machine:
1) Increase the bottle temperature safely. Ex: Heater jacket
2) Pull a deep vacuum on the system
3) Open your hoses and begin charging. The refrigerant will move quick but start to equalize.
4) If you do not have enough gas to keep the system running after equalization you will need to prevent the low pressure control from cycling off and continue charging carefully into the suction.

If you had a reclaim machine you could also use it to charge a system.

Acrisoft
26-02-2014, 03:51 PM
>Best case scenario for reclaiming without a machine

Very good theory.

As far as I understood, you mean having the refrigerant leave by liquid line rather the sucction line,
and system running?

passandscore
27-02-2014, 01:48 AM
This method is not a theory. It works well. You'll see!

Build up the head pressure. Shut off the system and open your transfer valve. Recover from the liquid line. The goal is to create as large a pressure / temperature difference between where the refrigerant is (your system) and where you want it to be (your bottle). Refrigerant will migrate to wherever the lowest pressure / temperature happens to be. The larger the differential the better the results.

FreezerGeezer
27-02-2014, 03:37 AM
I have seen this done & yes, it did work well. Another tip I was told at the time was to use a larger than necessary receiver bottle - large space @ deep vacuum = more 'pulling power'. The engineer concerned was using a 22kg bottle to pull around 4-6kg of refrigerant out, iirc.
Although I'm not entirely certain that follows the laws of fridge, it does sound logical.

Rob White
27-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Quick answer is yes.

Short answer; NO.

That answers that question then :D

:p

Rob