PDA

View Full Version : Airconditioning in Loft Conversion

rednev
17-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi all. I hope its ok to post here as a non-engineer, but I am looking for advice to try and solve a problem I have here with our home.

We have been in our home, A bungalow with a converted loft space (one double bedroom, and one small bedroom/office space) for 3 years now, and have found that both rooms get incredibly hot in the few weeks of the year that we have warm weather.

I work in the smaller room, and my young children use the other as their bedroom.

We try and open the Velux windows during the day to encourage a natural escape for the heat, but at nighttime we have to shut them for security reasons, so the heat soon builds up at night and often can get upto 30 degrees.

We have used a freestanding unit to try and cool the kids bedroom down before bedtime, and this reducing things down a bit, but really I think a better more permanent solution would be better.

I would like something that is as efficient as possible, and a brand that is reliable and easy to service.

The rooms arent massive, so a unit that looks reasonably compact would be a plus.

Ive seen types like this:

https://www.prem-i-air.com/images/pictures_md/e_jpegs/eh0554.jpg

http://www.coolyoudirect.co.uk/images/uploaded/image/salford-p-02.jpg

But not sure how loud these would be as wouldnt want them waking kids up.

NewmanRef
17-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi Rednev.

There are lots of options available out there. Your best bet is to have a reputable local company come out and discuss your options with you. They will be able to size the equipment correctly, install properly and offer warranties sometimes up to 5 years.

If it was me, going on the info you have provided so far I would recommend 2 x split systems (one indoor unit connected to one outdoor) or a multi split unit (up to 4 indoor units connected on one outdoor). With the later option you will also have room for expansion if you fancy another indoor at a later date.

In terms of efficiency and reliability, all of the leading manufacturers are now very efficient with inverter compressors and R410a refrigerant. Daikin, Mitsubishi, toshiba, Fujitsu, to name a few would all be suitable for your needs. Do not go down the DIY system route or the false economy cheap splits available on ebay etc. Believe me they are crap! You might also struggle to find a decent installer willing to put them in. I refuse to install them as we have had numerous faults with every one we have put in. Which although isn't our fault, doesn't look great on us!

I'm not familiar with the unit shown in your picture which suggests it may be one of the above mentioned! There are lots of low duty and discreet units available from the big boys so ask your chosen company to bring some brochures.

With regards to noise, none other than air movement. Probably less than a domestic room fan. Your units will have fan speed control so you can alter these as you like.

r.bartlett
17-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Those units require 2 x 200mm holes in the wall for the hot air to escape. They are reasonably good and some hotels use them. they have a drone to them as all the gubbins in within the case. far better than a B&Q mobile and after a few nights you'll be ok with it.

A quality split well installed will beat all others hands down but you'll pay twice as much. It depends on what value you give those couple of weeks. You pay's your money as they say.

install monkey
17-02-2014, 09:00 PM
https://www.prem-i-air.com/homepage.aspx?com=product&pg=1106&productid=1392&tl=1095
2.5kw- but it means you dont need an outdoor unit

rednev
18-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Yep, that unit in the picture is a Prem i Air model. I didnt link to it specifically as I was new to the forum and wasnt sure if it breached any rules :)

Are they a reasonably reliable brand? If not... do any other of the brands you mentioned do similar systems that would be able to fitted to the short walls in the room?

With regards the multi split systems, I was concerned I may have to rule them out as wasnt sure if they were ok to use on a sloped celing like we have in the kids bedroom.

Here is a pic (excuse the over dose of pink and toys!)

r.bartlett
18-02-2014, 11:32 AM
the thro the wall unit is the cheapest option.

a floor standing will be double

http://www.ambientcontrol.co.uk/content.cfm?cID=203

NewmanRef
20-02-2014, 08:30 PM
The split and multi split type units are available with floor standing indoor units that would stand no higher than the radiator in your picture. You might have to move a few toys to get sufficient airflow though! ;). I haven't had any dealings with the through wall type units that you have shown so can't really comment but if they are an all in one unit with compressor inside I would suggest they will create more noise than the split type, where the compressor is located outdoors. Probably a similar amount of noise as a domestic fridge...

rednev
27-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Out of interest, how about a wall mounted unit on the sloped ceiling. Would they be ok to fit on a slope like that?

Would there be an issue regards trying to fix it to the sloped ceiling as its plasterboard.

There is accessible space behind the short walls/eaves (under the window) and on other side of the room.

r.bartlett
27-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Out of interest, how about a wall mounted unit on the sloped ceiling. Would they be ok to fit on a slope like that?

Would there be an issue regards trying to fix it to the sloped ceiling as its plasterboard.

There is accessible space behind the short walls/eaves (under the window) and on other side of the room.

You could easily use a wall mount, go for one with the additional indoor pool option.

Gary
27-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Got insulation?

rednev
19-03-2014, 03:32 PM
You could easily use a wall mount, go for one with the additional indoor pool option.

Ha.... so it wouldn't be possible to use any type of unit on the sloped ceiling, and I am limited to a solution that can be positioned on the short walls?

Just wanted to be clear of what options I have.

Gary, regards insulation; the conversion was carried out a fair few years ago by a previous owner of the bungalow. From what I can see it looks like insulation is loose stuff rather than foil backed board stuff which may of been better to use.

r.bartlett
19-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Ha.... so it wouldn't be possible to use any type of unit on the sloped ceiling, and I am limited to a solution that can be positioned on the short walls?

Just wanted to be clear of what options I have.

Gary, regards insulation; the conversion was carried out a fair few years ago by a previous owner of the bungalow. From what I can see it looks like insulation is loose stuff rather than foil backed board stuff which may of been better to use.

you can get a 3.5kw wall mount on the end pink wall to the side of the door no problem.

rednev
06-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Any reputable companies in the bedfordshire area you guys can recommend to quote for us? Cheers

r.bartlett
06-05-2014, 06:14 PM
I'm in Luton Thursday afternoon/early evening

rednev
07-05-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm in Luton Thursday afternoon/early evening

Sounds good. Ill drop you a PM with my details.

Cheers

rednev
07-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Sounds good. Ill drop you a PM with my details.

Cheers

Actually, I cant seem to Private Message you. Do you have a phone number or email address I can contact you on?

Cheers

frank
06-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Actually, I cant seem to Private Message you. Do you have a phone number or email address I can contact you on?

Cheers
Your post count needs to exceed 15 before you can PM.
Look at his profile and download his vCard to gain access to his email address then go from there.