PDA

View Full Version : Technology Gone Mad

Mags
03-11-2001, 02:01 AM
I am an Art Student looking at technology and recycling. Can anybody out there tell me if it would be possible to turn a fridge into a washing machine?

Mags
07-11-2001, 12:43 AM
Is that something to do with the dangerous gases in the fridge, or the heavy bricks in the washing machine or something else?

WebRam
07-11-2001, 12:54 AM
Over to you Marc :D

Brian_UK
07-11-2001, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by WebRam
Over to you Marc :D Has he met his match here we wonder :confused:

WebRam
07-11-2001, 11:15 PM
Looks like he has his a brick wall ........... :D

Mags
12-11-2001, 09:10 PM
Actually this research is for a college project, I just wanted to know about the technical implications of turning a fridge into a washing machine.

malc
01-12-2001, 06:44 PM
Seems to me to be a reasonable request . Reclaim the gas with all proriety. lay frig on its back , go to BandQ get RTV sealant and aplicator. seal all areas of inside of frig. make a small style milking stool (you know the three legged typy) attach this to a small "T" handle , open frig door fill to half way with water to taste ie hot or cool as allways to suit fabrics . carefully throw in clothes apply previously custom made dolly agitate in a controlled right and left motion , after a short while you will either be knackered or you will have a nice clean wash. what could be easier????

and I haven`t had the privelige of higher education ( no degree ) :D :D :D

Mags
01-12-2001, 09:03 PM
Cheers, sounds good but how do you reclaim the Gas?

Abe
02-12-2001, 08:15 AM
Ill put Marc, out of his misery.

Mags,

I want you to pick up a dictionary and look up the word "design" In school I was told the first element to design is " fitness of purpose".

Now look at this, a washing machine is designed to soak and turn your dirty socks. Not cool your butter.

What is your purpose first and foremost. Do you have a fridge which you want to turn into a washing machine or vice versa?

Are you a Ecological person genuinely trying to find solutions to global waste and recycling?

Me thinks, if Mags dont come out clear with his proposals, or ideas then we will end up looking..............exasperated and sheepish

LOL

Mags
03-12-2001, 10:19 PM
I am an Art Student, looking at technology gone mad. The idea is that the fridge 'feels' unfullfilled being a fridge and wants to become a washing machine. A sort of techno identity crisis!

DESIGN: 1a) a preliminary plan or sketch for the making or production of a builing, machine, garment etc 1b) the art of producing these. 2) a scheme of lines or shapes forming a pattern or decoration. 3) a plan, purpose, or intention. 4a) the general arrangement or layout of a product. 4b) an established version of a product. etc..etc..

(Concise Oxford Dictionary Clarendon Press 1990)

It looks like design has many meanings.

Abe
03-12-2001, 11:23 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an Art Student, looking at technology gone mad. The idea is that the fridge 'feels' unfullfilled being a fridge and wants to become a washing machine. A sort of techno identity crisis!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mags

An art student...........well, a belated welcome to the forum. Its good to have an injection of culture in these daily rantings of ours.

I think I agree with you, "these days" fridges are being feeling a trifle "unfullfilled" ( I think) I quite havent mustered the language they speak, but with my gauges hooked up Im getting there.

Now the reason there feeling unfullfilled.

There accused of contributing to Global warming, so they need gas transfusions, oil transfusions, retrofits, the new stuff ( R134a) is high pressure, blood pressure is literaly zooming up.

Capillaries are blocking up. Motors are burning up 8 times more quickly

Fridges are feeling used and abused, getting all the blame but people still cant get enough of them.

Well, I reckon Lifes got to be better as a washing machine any day.

Imagine, having to roll and wave in that lovely lingerie.

With your help lets make life infinately happier............turn fridges into washing machines

Technology needent be gone mad.............Art rules
Thanks Mags for helping me see things in different perspective

Gibson
05-01-2002, 06:15 AM
Not a refrigerator into a washing machine, but I can turn a dishwasher into a snow blower in minutes and for a cost of fifteen dollars Canadian!

Step 1. Buy a snow shovel.

Step 2. Hand it to the wife!

Step 3. (Optional) Duck!

Abe
05-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Gibson,

Your dishwasher into snowblower has got me rolling on the floor
I have never laughed so much........in days

pss: whats your first or Christian name?
I say this because here in England, its considered rude to address someone by there surname

Salaams

WebRam
05-01-2002, 06:08 PM
If he comes back with Mel, it would just cap my day :D

Gibson
06-01-2002, 07:03 AM
Glad you found it amusing Aiyub. My first name is Lem, but you can call me Gibson. Just kidding about my first name.

Mags
19-01-2002, 12:52 AM
Not funny! Bad taste guys!

Dan
19-01-2002, 07:14 PM
What a delightful thread. I miss so many and only find them after they are well on their way.

A chest type would be a no-brainer. I would use hydrosonics like they do with jewelry, and then dry out the clothes by freezing them to -80 C. Minor modifications. An upright poses a problem or two. Let me think and pet my dog while doing so.... pause.

I would put the colored clothing in the meat bin and linen in the vegetable bin. Tennis shoes in the door racks and the bleachables on the shelving. The socks go into the freezer, for sure.

Of course,then I would have to put all the food into the washer.

So I will have to wait until Marc finishes his design before I can submit my ultimate solution.

Dan

subzero*psia
19-01-2002, 07:29 PM
I rather like Malc's ingenuity.... simplification... very refreshing!

Great posts!! Now I wonder if we could turn a comode into furnace or some other warped identity perhaps! LOL!! :eek:

Mags
20-01-2002, 12:39 AM
Thanks for this reply, interesting idea. However can you explain hydrosonics, it is not in any of my dictionaries. I guess it is probably on the internet somewhere though.

Actually my cooker was wondering about becoming a fridge as it 'gets fed up' of being so hot all the time. So it is interesting that you mention putting food in the washer.

Dan
20-01-2002, 01:19 AM
Hmmmm... My prefixes swang around on me.... how about "Ultra" or "Hypo" or "Hyper" or whatever. (Swang ain't in the dictionary.... its the pluperfect subjuncive of swung, I think.

I should have said "vibrating liquid" that goes really fast,I suppose.

Sonic waves. Cleansing sonic waves.

I am sure we can clean clothes with sound of some sort. Maybe with speakers I wrench out of the back seat of cars that have that 1000 watt bass one can hear even in a fallout shelter.

Here is a thought: We put clean clothes into the refrigerator and they come out dirty.

Now all we have to do is reverse the process.

I am merely smiling; it is my dog that is laughing.

Dan

Dan
20-01-2002, 01:53 AM
Technology gone mad?" What an absurd idea. Technology does not go mad. People go mad, I suppose. Maybe birds or other animals do so also.

You can put a canary in a cage, but it take a madman to walk it into the mine.

Technology gone mad. Now I have to look up a word in the dictionary. Industrial art. I can live with that.

Dang, I forgot the question.

(Dang is some sort of derivitive of darn or damn or darn. Southeast USA uses it a lot. Because they don't want their children to cuss..... which is a derivitive of curse and it just goes on forever.)

I hope this helps.:)

Mags
20-01-2002, 02:06 AM
Dan
Ye I get it now hydo = to do with water, sonic to do with sound! Maybe we could just yell into the water?!? .

'Clothes! Cleanse thy self!'

Maybe thats it, we missed it all along clothes can hear but only when in water. That being the case we could just despense with washing machines and just chuck our clothes in the bath or shower and yell. Ye ye I know what about the spinning?

I like the idea of putting clean washing in that comes out dirty, as well . Rather amusing. Perhaps the yelling method would work here too?!?

Dean
Comode into a furnace. My guess is that, it would have to be a very angry comode. Could be very nasty

Dan
20-01-2002, 03:53 PM
In the USA, one of the popular laundry detergents is "Shout." Most likely a coincidence.:)

subzero*psia
20-01-2002, 04:12 PM
This thread is too FUNNY! :D My dog is laughing too! Another coincidence perhaps... TIDE is another laundry detergent!

Do you suppose we could alter a comode into a furnace.... hmmm... perhaps a blast furnace or forge? I bet you SMELT that one coming didn't you! :D

Dan
20-01-2002, 06:32 PM
Actually my cooker was wondering about becoming a fridge as it
'gets fed up' of being so hot all the time. So it is interesting that
you mention putting food in the washer.

Actually, anything that makes something warm is also making something cool. This is perhaps where art and industry combine. Boiling water refrigerates the burner and pot, for example.

However, moving heat and moving detritus from cloth is a bit of a stretch even for banlon or latex.

The washer would make a very fine industrial blender, and the dryer a fair oven, though.

The commode as a blast furnace. Perhaps we have some Greenlanders to advise about about the dangers of volcanic outhouses?

Dang. Now all my appliances are jealous of each other. My TV has a scrolling newsbar that I cannot click on. Mags, I have you to blame!

Dan

Dan

Gary
20-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Why would a commode feel unfulfilled? It's cup runneth over.

Abe
21-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Art and Industry

Hmmm Absract Art and Technology.........could be something there, it appears the two are so dissimilar or so far removed from each other that there could possible be no relation or parallel

But art and technology could "meet" if we stretch the theme, concept long enough

Think about it, Heat ( fire) will burn
So will refrigerant ( cold) it will burn you

the two extremes if strecthed far enough will eventually meet
Art and technology

Do the two ever meet............

Now technology going mad, as you can see we getting computers running fridge plant now, soon they will have sensory devices fitted which will actually sense, smell the freshness of its contents and leave messages appropriately for disposal, or state food is unfit for consumption.

At moment they (refrigerators) LG models have modem links with the grocery store

So, in the not too distant future the fridges will see, sense, be able to smell and shout.........and maybe feel too,

When they do...........I want my fridge designed to look like Marylene Monroe

But I bet the software engineer who programs the computer will include the saying

" Sorry honey, I have a headache"

Mags
22-01-2002, 12:41 AM
Who knows, anything is possible. Perhaps!?!

subzero*psia
22-01-2002, 03:06 AM
As long as it doesn't say... "It isn't my job!" Geeze I hate that!!:mad:

I would have to do without and stick with the old reliable electro-mechanical units. LOL!!:cool:

Brian
25-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Why!!! practicable NOOOO!!!