PDA

View Full Version : Oil in lines on samsung RS21DABB fridge...please help !!!

Jamie kin
07-02-2014, 03:09 PM
I recently got a a very good condition second hand samsung RS21DABB side by side fridge freezer. It was purchased off friends and was working fine when I picked it up. I transported it on its side(which I later found out is a no no)and when I turned it on at home it was not getting down to temperature. I had a engineer out who contracts for samsung and after numerous tests he told me the fridge was a write off due to oil being in the system. He tried to remove the oil by sucking it out with various tools etc but was unsuccessful. Please tell me there is way to fix this issue ????????

Rob White
07-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Oil is inside the compressor as a lubricant to the moving parts.
If laid on its side, this oil can move out of the compressor and
if the compressor is started too soon after moving it could cause the problems.

All that is very remotely possible after moving and in my opinion you would
be very, very unlucky for the thing to fail like this.

If the engineer says that the system is shot because of this I would ask what
exactly he is claiming the fault to be?

If the oil is out of the comp and the compressor has failed, any half decent
fridge engineer could replace the faulty comp with a new one, the only thing
is cost.

If he is saying the oil is in the wrong part of the system, any half decent fridge engineer
could clean the system and then (if needed) replace the compressor, the only thing
is cost.

If the system is blocked then any half decent fridge engineer could clean the system and
then the only thing is cost.

So what I am trying to say is, dependent on the fault it could be repaired but at what cost?

I have never heard of the fault you described, but the engineer might have tried
to simplify the explanation to you. If the compressor has failed or if the system
is blocked you would realistically be looking at a bill of £100 to £200 and the engineer
was trying to say the fridge is not worth it and then with no guarantee of a success
even after all that.

Regards

Rob

Jamie kin
07-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks rob, that's great. He said the oil has got into the system and he tried to unblock it but couldn't. I know nothing about fridges etc as you can see.

The cost was not a problem. He said he tried to suck it out but was causing a vacuum so therefor was totally blocked.

Could you elaborate on how exactly you would unblock it ???

Many thanks jamie

sedgy
19-02-2014, 07:08 PM
hi jamie,
sorry but no self respecting engineer would help you to injure
yourself, it is very dangerous, your not qualified or registered to work on gas this not a scare tactic its just not safe
no disrespect to you or the engineers who have been on
scrap it legally , or pay to have it done at a reputable shop
regards = sedgy

frank
19-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Oil is always in a fridge system. Why would an 'engineer' try to suck it out?

monkey spanners
19-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Can't see how oil could get out the discharge, it could have run up the suction line but would expect it to drain back in short order once it starts running again. Who knows though, what ever, it sounds like it has a fault thats beyond economic repair.

Rob White
20-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks rob, that's great. He said the oil has got into the system and he tried to unblock it but couldn't. I know nothing about fridges etc as you can see.

The cost was not a problem. He said he tried to suck it out but was causing a vacuum so therefor was totally blocked.

Could you elaborate on how exactly you would unblock it ???

Many thanks jamie

To unblock it the engineer would pressurise it with high pressure nitrogen.
This may or may not work dependent on the blockage and where it is.

To attempt this would be quite expensive and there would be no guarantee
of it being successful.

If it was blocked and if it could be unblocked and if the compressor is still ok,
realistically you are looking at a cost of at least £100 and maybe double that.

If it can be unblocked and the compressor is faulty you are looking at at least £200.

If it can't be unblocked you are looking at a bill of about £100 and then nothing to show for it.

If you are happy with that then you need a good fridge engineer who is prepared to attempt
it for you.

Regards

Rob