PDA

View Full Version : lg S12AHP suitability

Zdenek_Fischer
30-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Good morning,
We have these problem with air conditioner LG S12AHP (AS-H126E1MO):
The airco is used as cooling system inside ups room. Room is 3 x 4 m (about 12 sqaure meters) and 3 m high. There are 3 ups Pulsar 3000M and 5 hard drives and 3 routers. Maximal power is about 2500 - 3000 W, so I am asking if these air contitioner is suitable for these kind of use.
Becouse sometimes the temperature (inside room) grows to 30 - 35 degrees, but sometimes is about 20 - 23 degrees. Is any possibility to check airco that works properly? Is the coolant leak anywhere? Or cooling is not enough? What do you mean?

Zdeněk

Brian_UK
30-01-2014, 10:15 PM
What is the humidity level in the space?

The Viking
30-01-2014, 11:21 PM
First of all, all air conditioners are designed to cool humans, therefore they are never the best option when it comes to cool equipment.
Secondly, as far as I can see from a quick google search, your units are designed for domestic use, therefore they will struggle with any 24/7 demand be that human or equipment.

As Brian hint at in his post above, the most likely problem is that the units dehydrates the room to the point where they no longer are able to provide cooling (as the equipment in the room don't produce any moisture, or sweat)

:cool:

Zdenek_Fischer
31-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Goog afternoon,

The humidity inside the room is about 55% - only if the devices do not work.
If the devices running, the humidity is lower - between 38 and 41%.
Lower humidity is not problem, because this room is used only for equipment, not for people (Only regular checks will be carried out).

Mr. Viking, I knew about "small" advisability this air cond., but it is a task. :mad:
And, unfortunately, It must be done.

install monkey
31-01-2014, 07:31 PM
stick a fan in to introduce fresh air (filtered of course) -will increase the moisture level and occasionally free cooling

Brian_UK
31-01-2014, 08:11 PM
The low humidity is a concern for the air con equipment.

If it is too low then they can no longer cool the space and will go into shutdown mode to protect themselves.

As Install Monkey suggests, do something to increase the humidity.

install monkey
31-01-2014, 09:18 PM
was going to suggest buy a kettle from argos!:o

The low humidity is a concern for the air con equipment.

If it is too low then they can no longer cool the space and will go into shutdown mode to protect themselves.

As Install Monkey suggests, do something to increase the humidity.

The Viking
01-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Lower humidity is not problem, because this room is used only for equipment, not for people (Only regular checks will be carried out).

Mr. Viking, I knew about "small" advisability this air cond., but it is a task. :mad:
And, unfortunately, It must be done.

OK,
Happy hunting finding the root of your issues.

Cars are designed to transport up to about 7 people max, busses up to 75. If you want to transport 70 odd people would you use a bus or a car?
Just like in transport there are different machines for different tasks in our business, not to say that units can't be used outside their designated area but they won't be as good as something that has correctly been designed to carry out the task in the first place.

And as to your comment about the humidity not being an issue... Well looking on the replays you got to this thread so far I would say that you got in excess of 100 years worth of experience saying that it does... But each to their own I guess.

Zdenek_Fischer
03-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Good morning,
Thanks to yours suggestions. If I understand problem correctly, the problem is humidity. Our UPS (Pulsar 3000M) have range from 20% to 90% (without condensation), I guess that the higher humidity will not be problem (for our devices). But Exists any solution to improve hum. level? And which value is optimal?
Mr. Viking, I did not mean to upset you, apparently I wrote it bad. Humidity not being an issue it was meant no problem for devices inside room , in terms of their functions.

if I ask you for a link, where are describe similar situations/conditions? I would like to know more.

Thank you very much!

Zdeněk

Zdenek_Fischer
03-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Good morning,
Thanks to yours suggestions. If I understand problem correctly, the problem is humidity. Our UPS (Pulsar 3000M) have range from 20% to 90% (without condensation), I guess that the higher humidity will not be problem (for our devices). But Exists any solution to improve hum. level? And which value is optimal?
Mr. Viking, I did not mean to upset you, apparently I wrote it bad. Humidity not being an issue it was meant no problem for devices inside room, in terms of their functions.

if I ask you for a link, where are describe similar situations/conditions? I would like to know more.

Thank you very much!

Zdeněk

Brian_UK
03-02-2014, 07:40 PM
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fiphad_p5%2Ftempandhumiditydesign.htm

Have a read, if should help you.

install monkey
03-02-2014, 09:48 PM
viking- with my 20 yrs of split bashing and brians 40 yrs-estimated, how old are you??- noticed its not on the right hand corner of your posts;)

OK,
Happy hunting finding the root of your issues.

Cars are designed to transport up to about 7 people max, busses up to 75. If you want to transport 70 odd people would you use a bus or a car?
Just like in transport there are different machines for different tasks in our business, not to say that units can't be used outside their designated area but they won't be as good as something that has correctly been designed to carry out the task in the first place.

And as to your comment about the humidity not being an issue... Well looking on the replays you got to this thread so far I would say that you got in excess of 100 years worth of experience saying that it does... But each to their own I guess.

The Viking
03-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Too old :(
(OK you little nipper, you were younger than I thought.... So with your estimate we "only" provide Zednek 87 years of experience, my bad)

Anyhow, Zednek there is one incorrect assumption in your reasoning... There is equipment in your room that suffers and perform badly as soon as the humidity drop too low - Your air conditioners.
You will have to look at the design parameters for your specific units but as a general rule of thumb, units designed for domestic use (as LG labelled your systems) generally operates at 100% duty down to about 50% humidity whilst units designed for commercial use will give 100% duty down to around 35% humidity.

The optimal humidity level for comms rooms are generally accepted to be around the 50% mark.

And yes, there are various ways to keep the humidity level up. At the design stage of the IT/Comms room/hall proper CRAC (=Computer room Air Conditioners) should be selected, these are designed to cool equipment that doesn't sweat like us humans. Anything but the correct equipment is a shortcut and will affect the performance.
If you are stuck with "normal" A/C system then in the first place commercial alternatives are preferred, not systems designed for a domestic application.
And if A/C systems are used humidity can either be introduced by increasing ventilation rates or by using dedicated humidifiers. Normally these are like self refilling kettles but spray systems are also available.

Zdenek_Fischer
04-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Good morning,

I have to say THANK'S A LOT for all. Now Is it more clear for me. I am going to hand over these terms my boss, so I suppose that he shall take the appropriate steps.

Zdeněk