PDA

View Full Version : Old Sporlan TraxOil Control

floyd57
11-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Am looking for some documentation on the Sporlan version of the TraxOil control. My Google searches give me nothing. I understand that they are no longer in use as Alco now sells a version and Sporlan is out. Situation is that I have 2 compressors with these on them (same system) giving me problems which are the opposite of one another. 1 is constantly trying to drain but will not and the other is constantly trying to feed and won't. I have taken both of them apart, totally cleaned screens and working parts. Only difference noticed was that when I put pressure (nitrogen) to feed and drain ports. 3 show no pressure through the port on the body of the of the control while one does. These will be changed out for your standard oil pots, but I would really like to know the specs for the ports :( on these things and if anyone out there has run into this before!?

Dan
11-03-2006, 05:48 AM
I don't understand how a traxoil is constantly trying to drain. All a Traxoil is designed to do is to feed. I don't understand your question, but you happened to ask it at the end of a week where I am replacing 5, ZF48's in a Costco.

I am not shy, however, to state that the Traxoil is a piece of **** and should not be attached to commercial refrigeration equipment that does not otherwise have oil safety devices.

I think the original design was Australian. Some patent disputes and thus transfers from Sporlan to Alco to Emerson. And then a pretension of a safety device with the OMB model, which at least turns a compressor off, compared to letting it grind itself into magnetic magic to assist in the failures of all other attached compressors.

I somewhat feel better now. Thanks for asking. :)

http://www.emersonflowcontrols.com/web/products/oilcontrols/brochures/OMB%20Cut%20Sheet.pdf

floyd57
11-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I have seen the Alco version of the trax oil and know that there is only a feed line with solenoid. This old Sporlan version has 2 solenoids and is set up to drain and feed.

Dan
11-03-2006, 10:25 PM
drain from where?

floyd57
12-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Here is a quick drawing of what this control looks like.

Dan
12-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I never saw that version. Interesting. Hussmann racks would use an equalizing line to keep off-cycled compressors from filling with oil, but I never saw a solenoid operation as a part of it.

floyd57
12-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Yeah I know. The drain line has been terminated. Anyways like stated before, these will be changed out. I was just trying to see if anyone else out there had seen these.:)

kevinlandry
31-03-2006, 03:59 AM
On hussmann racks the OMA should be used on semihermetics and OMB only on scrolls. Semis use too oil for the OMB ports to keep up.

Dan
31-03-2006, 05:06 AM
On hussmann racks the OMA should be used on semihermetics and OMB only on scrolls. Semis use too oil for the OMB ports to keep up.

Too much oil? typo? Nevertheless, the scrolls are the oil circulators. But I am interested. What is the difference between the port sizes of OMA's versus OMB's?