PDA

View Full Version : Chest Freezer problem

Rapserv
28-12-2013, 06:17 AM
hello all,
I am having a problem with my 110Litre car chest freezer that uses a Dunfoss compressor.
Recently I had an issue with the freezer struggling to maintain it's set temperature (-15-to -18 C) and upon inspection found that the cap tube from the thermostat had failed due to metal fatigue near where it enters the chest freezer wall. I obtained an exact replacement and installed without any issues. The week prior to the thermostat replacement saw the freezer running non-stop ... no doubt as a consequence of the thermostat failure.
I thought that by installing a new part the problem would be sorted, however, this was not to be.
In fact now the freezer is struggling to maintain -12 to -13C.
After going over the issue many times in my mind it occurred to me that my current problem may be due to my own doing.
I have, several times in the past, cleaned out and defrosted the freezer by gently hosing out (with cold water) while standing the freezer on an angle (probably about 45 degrees) to allow the water to drain away through a drain plug on the opposite lower end of the freezer with regards to the compressor location without it even occurring to me that this may be upsetting the refrigerant level in the compressor. I was aware of this problem with a fridge but did'nt even think of it with the freezer :mad:
I think that if this is the case, I should be switching off the freezer and letting it sit for at least 24 hours to let the gas settle again.
Unfortunately, The freezer is currently full of frozen food and we are currently travelling around outback Australlia.
My question is, although it would be best to be able to switch off the freezer for a couple of days, if I just leave it running, will it eventually return to normal??

Thanks in advance .. Dave

install monkey
28-12-2013, 08:30 AM
if its got food in it - keep it running- if it can only reach -12 then if you defrost it then it wont reach -12 again, i know a fridgie in nth qld, but he's probably on the capt morgans!

Blueboy
28-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Hi Dave

I don't think cleaning the freezer out has caused the problem. In fact the refrigerant is a liquid and a gas at different times during the cycle and cannot Not be affected by tilting the freezer or fridge. The compressor oil can be effected if you left it on when you cleaned it out that could have damaged the compressor but I am presuming you unplugged it before introducing water to the excitement .

My guess is you have either a worn compressor which is no longer pumping efficiently and needs replaced or the heat is not getting away from the condenser very well.

There is nothing you can do about the compressor unless you are a fridge mechanic. But you can check the condenser is clean and if it has a fan motor that this is running . The condenser will be underneath or in the back wall. If it is in the wall it maybe the conditions in your vehicle are to warm .

Hope this helps

xxargs
28-12-2013, 08:45 AM
I think your cleaning method is not a problem if you lets freeezer chest rest some minutes after cleaning before power on - Danfoss-compressor build for mobil and sea using is very robust and need handle all shaking and big angle on running same time your drive your car around...

check if compressor running non-stop - if not, and temperature are -12 - -14 degree C and want -18 degree C, you have still issue with thermostat.

if compressor running non stop - control if condenser fan running properly - if condenser is not cooled properly - freezing capacity remain low.

mikeref
28-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Temperatures during the day are quite hot (being Summer) and portable freezers are struggling to maintain -16 degrees C depending on your freezer brand. 12/24 volt freezers are going to put a strain on your battery and if the voltage should drop to 10.5 ish at any time while running off a 12 volt battery, the compressor will cycle off. If your freezer has a "boost" switch, turn it off.
Captain Morgan :-)

mikeref
29-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I have checked comments on R.E many times today,and OP has not bothered to log in...or is beyond mobile phone range. The latter is likely as Australian internet and phone services are practically non-existent in the vast expanse of nothingness.
Nope, I have a desire to stay this side of the Desert thanks.

Rapserv
30-12-2013, 07:35 AM
hello all .... back in range again!! (internet that is) :o

Many thanks to all who replied to my problem and all posts much appreciated.
I should have mentioned also that this is a 12/24V system that I have currently running off a 240V power pack. (so power is not currently a problem)
Outside air temp is hovering around the 40C mark (in the shade) on most days so this does not help, although I have had these temps and higher in the past and still had the freezer working well (-18C) without too much of an issue. (EvaKool 110L Fibreglass chest & 95% full)
I have cleaned the entire compressor area fairly regularly however I will have another look over to make sure all is well.
Many thanks again for all your replies and I will post if I find a solution to the problem.
Cheers all !!

PS.. I have attached a photo of a mod I made to the fridge/freezer removable divider wall some time back... it's a bit rough, as this was done whilst on the road. Bottom fan near socket draws air from the freezer section and pushes this cold air to the other side of the wall where it is subsequently drawn towards and pushed through the upper fan back towards the freezer element where it continues the cycle. Made a huge difference to the ability of the far end of the freezer to freeze properly.

xxargs
30-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Come your 'temperature issue' before or after this fan-mounted divider, if after, i think bigger 'active' volume with low temperature inside chest depend of fans give more load on compressor than manufacture of the chest calculate (ie they calculate more than few degree temperature in difference in the chest volume and now with fan, now is almost same and lower temperature and more heat leaking in...)

40 degree C is... quite high and if remember right, many of this boxes with 12/24 Volt compressor not gurantee -18 degree C if environmental temperature is above ~35 degree C or similar.

joe-ice
30-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Is the freezer freezing evenly , the fact you have to defrost it regularly coupled with the constant running and high air temp points to been low in gas or very bad air infiltration

mikeref
30-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Evaporator plate only services 1/2 the box suggesting this is a 2 temperature cabinet. 40% or so fridge space.

Rapserv
31-12-2013, 04:11 AM
Come your 'temperature issue' before or after this fan-mounted divider, if after, i think bigger 'active' volume with low temperature inside chest depend of fans give more load on compressor than manufacture of the chest calculate (ie they calculate more than few degree temperature in difference in the chest volume and now with fan, now is almost same and lower temperature and more heat leaking in...)

40 degree C is... quite high and if remember right, many of this boxes with 12/24 Volt compressor not gurantee -18 degree C if environmental temperature is above ~35 degree C or similar.

hi xxargs, and thanks for your reply.
I originally used the chest as a fridge/freezer (50/50) and in this configuration it worked well with the freezer side around -18C and the fridge side somewhat cooler and not freezing.
I later decided to use the entire chest as a freezer by removing the 'removeable' centre divider.
I found that as the evaporater element was only on one end and a part of each side that items were frozen on that end and progressively became 'less' frozen towards to opposite end, and indeed, struggling to freeze anything near the top at the far end.
By modding the divider with a couple of fans this immediately fixed that issue and all items froze quickly throughout the chest ... better result than I expected.
The addition of the fans also worked better in that after initial freezing of the goods the compressor was cycling far less often ... so the extra power needed for the 2 fans (using around 100mA each) I believe was more than offset by the lower cycling time.
It has only been in the last couple of weeks that the freezer has been struggling, and since then I have tried 3 different new thermostats identical to the original.
I have now removed the end cover (over the compressor) to allow heat buildup to escape and have placed a high volume air fan in front of the heat exchanger to substantially increase air flow to assist cooling and this has had very little effect.
I checked the compressor temp with a laser thermometer and it read 73C, going into heat exchanger was 70C and coming out it is 50C :confused: I would have thought that these temps are far too high but not being a regrig mechanic I don't know.
Hope this helps

Rapserv
31-12-2013, 04:22 AM
Is the freezer freezing evenly , the fact you have to defrost it regularly coupled with the constant running and high air temp points to been low in gas or very bad air infiltration

thanks joe-ice,
as the fans are in use the entire chest seems to be around the same temp (now -11C) but overall temp seem to be decreasing (ie. getting warmer). Compressor area is clean and as mentioned in another post I have placed a fan in front of the heat exchanger to increase airflow for cooling ... this has had little effect.
My thoughts all along have been a suspicion about the gas.

Rapserv
31-12-2013, 04:29 AM
Evaporator plate only services 1/2 the box suggesting this is a 2 temperature cabinet. 40% or so fridge space.

thanks mikeref,
thats right... normally about 40% freezer and 60% fridge, however the chest can be used entirely as a fridge or freezer by removing the divider and adjusting the thermostat accordingly.
I have been using it as a freezer for the last 2 years now without any major issues. It has only been recently that the inside temp has been gradually decreasing (getting warmer). The compressor area is clean and free of dust and airflow seems good through heat exchanger.
Is it possible that their is a blockage of some sort??

mikeref
31-12-2013, 08:03 AM
G'day Rapserv." The Evaporator (the aluminium item that freezes you goods) is really only sized to freeze a specific volume. The divider is there to separate frozen and chilled zones as you know. It requires far less energy to keep goods above 0 degrees C then it does to maintain -18C.
If this cabinet were designed to store the full 110 litre at -18 degrees C then the evaporator would cover all 4 walls.
Basically, your two temp cabinet isn't meant to be used entirely as a freezer and the 50*C temperature you measured at the condenser outlet is way too high. What you have is an overloaded system.
I suggest you start reducing your cabinet volume and only fill to the recommended freezer volume.
Hope this comment helps.

mikeref
31-12-2013, 08:10 AM
thanks mikeref,thats right... normally about 40% freezer and 60% fridge, however the chest can be used entirely as a fridge or freezer by removing the divider and adjusting the thermostat accordingly.(Quote)
Entirely as a fridge? Yes. Entirely as a freezer? No, not how i see it.

Edit: Currently New Years Eve and just a few hours until 2014. Seasons greetings to you and yours, Mike :-)

Rapserv
31-12-2013, 08:50 AM
G'day Rapserv." The Evaporator (the aluminium item that freezes you goods) is really only sized to freeze a specific volume. The divider is there to separate frozen and chilled zones as you know. It requires far less energy to keep goods above 0 degrees C then it does to maintain -18C.
If this cabinet were designed to store the full 110 litre at -18 degrees C then the evaporator would cover all 4 walls.
Basically, your two temp cabinet isn't meant to be used entirely as a freezer and the 50*C temperature you measured at the condenser outlet is way too high. What you have is an overloaded system.
I suggest you start reducing your cabinet volume and only fill to the recommended freezer volume.
Hope this comment helps.

hello again mikeref,
I understand what you say however, the manufacturers specs state that this chest as a freezer can maintain a temp of -19C with an ambient temp of 43C and not only is this stated in their specs, but I have for the last 2 years been doing just that. It is only in the last couple of weeks that something has changed and I am now having this problem. I am also of the understanding that the freezer (once frozen) is more efficient when full or close to it.

mikeref
31-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Rapserv, are you saying you've previously had this freezer running at 90% full in similar conditions.....and at -18*C? Without the baffle?

install monkey
31-12-2013, 09:14 AM
yep when the freezer is as full as possible with dingo burgers and road kill it holds temperature better than air so it doesnt run as much,once it has cut out on temperature- is the freezer covered ie out of direct sulight?- even if your running low on grub then add anything to displace the air in the freezer - bonza!:o

Rapserv
31-12-2013, 09:18 AM
yes ... absolutely!! its my normal configuration.

Rapserv
31-12-2013, 09:27 AM
exactly!! I have always found the freezer to be very stable and efficient when full. In fact, I used to have a couple of styrofoam blocks that I used to place in the freezer to displace the air when frozen goods got down a bit. :-)

Rapserv
31-12-2013, 09:31 AM
whoops!!

sorry, I meant to reply using quotes in my last 2 messages to mikeref and install monkey respectively. :(

install monkey
31-12-2013, 09:38 AM
re reading the previous posts- you modified the divider (partition) by sticking 2 pc style fans to circulate the air - then this will req gaps for air to circulate - usual suspects for poor freezing is the 5 kilo bag of chips

Rapserv
31-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Rapserv, are you saying you've previously had this freezer running at 90% full in similar conditions.....and at -18*C? Without the baffle?

sorry mikeref,
just to clarify, I have run the entire unit as a freezer and maintained the temps as stated.
However, without the baffle it took much longer to get the temp down to the required level, especially when something new like a fresh chook was put in and the compressor was cycling considerably more often.
The baffle is used only because it gave me the ability to mount a couple of fans in it to rapidly circulate the frigid air. Above stated 'chook' would take 2-3 days to solidify as opposed to overnight with the fans.

install monkey
31-12-2013, 09:55 AM
freezers are designed to hold frozen meat/rodent chooks(im guessing chicken type bird) u need a blast freezer or co2 injection to freeze stock before you store it:p

install monkey
31-12-2013, 10:08 AM
aussies are renown for tinkering and modifying kit:p
http://youtu.be/XG5bZWWFk2M

mikeref
31-12-2013, 10:53 AM
O.K...I still believe you are overloaded.The evaporator size is far too small to do the job.
For starters, throw out your road kill as the Hawks and Dingo's have already staked their claim and will hunt you down while you sleep.
Nah seriously, check the evaporator and make sure it is fully frosted over. If it ain't completely coated in frost then there is an issue with circulation or your new thermostat isn't doing it's job, Or.... your 240 to 12/24 Volt transformer is cutting out on thermal overload due to the heat.

Just trying out options here as my Crystal ball is currently down town getting a polish :-)

mikeref
31-12-2013, 11:04 AM
aussies are renown for tinkering and modifying kit:p
http://youtu.be/XG5bZWWFk2M
Damn! Conditions are strict these days. FYI, Aussies can be caught for DUI while riding a horse on a public street. Go figure.

install monkey
31-12-2013, 11:05 AM
fit an endocube!:D
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?34995-Endocube-Hoodwink-or-Science/page3

mikeref
31-12-2013, 11:53 AM
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/image/jpeg;base64,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 eSQ vTW2fLErpO1dvn9jZ3UniwVR8zn5VnT65pYvCy/oWo9NtfdpHH/6h/8AhkuP YPyqH/naf8ACX6Ev/GP/NDsfaq1/t7W6i7zwBx8iT8qbDrWll82V aIS6bavlwyzs9VsL08NrdRu/VM4Yf5TvWjVqKrfkkmVLKLK/mjgmZpwoWgAoAKACgAoAKACgAoAKACgAoAKACgCp1fXLfTiYgPTXOMiFDy8WPQVS1evp0q8b59Czp9JZdyuF6lIU1bWPXupzDbnl GhKKR9W9 3hWDZrNZqu3giaGNPpuEtz/36E610axtlwIg/82w A2pUdLVHl8v3FT1d0/PBMVYYxiOJEA 6oFOW2PEVgQ3KXd5FaWhzBRGXZW9pQR4ilykn3JpNdiDc6fZT44oEUjkVGCKRsgnmPD9uB8brI8Zz Y1HeajpODHKby2HNJieIeTc/jn3Vcp6pdR/yeKP3CVFV/ZbZfY0Gl6tbakh9CxWRR68T7Mv niNq9BptVVqY7q2Z11E6XiSJ9WRIUAFABQAUAFABQAUAFABQAUAZ/X9ZeKT7Bp 903tuN/RA8turHoOnM OT1LqP4dfDr5m/sX9JpVYviT X9yJpulx237Wc kmJ4jxHOD3k9T41gwq8W 3mRZt1Dn4YcIsjJ409zKqicGXxqDmTURi4u4reIyzyKkY5s3IVFNt8Hdo19tgaP0izxFPvBwR8ai21wTUWcQXsN1GZLaVZUDcJZT kZ8 tQk3Hud2itL40tzJqIe2CCRuOtC8Qdnkp54JrWZXDNHKpzHKnMeX5GkQnbpbN0Hhl1OF0cPlGn0HWxff0a64Uu1GduUg 8v4jpXsen9QhqoY7SXdGLq9I6XmPyl3WiUwoAKACgAoAKACgAoAKAKzXtS/VtoWjw1xIeCFD3958Bz/ 1U1uqjpqnN9/L8yxpqHdZjy8yk0u1FrF6SQl533d23OTz99eTi227J8yZpXT3eCPZEwy1NzEqIxcXcVvC8s8qRxoMs7nAAqO5t4XckomYtO3mjXF 40L3qIJJAkKlGzzxljyGTyHx7hYnpLlHKRLbgutVuLuLTrmTToklvFjJhjc7M2Nh0 tU65Rc0pvC8yW0xundiHvZWv8AtRdST3cu5gt24I0HdkAfLA86uW9RjFbKVx6vkmkzQ6dodhpcok0 KWDAxwLO5U akkGqNurtsjiXIbUTriV0UERvIScAIB NV8Sl7DEkU pam3dpbTNAsty/CqcRYqO88sfOrFVEpQlKL4RNVxksltFeLcBre6T0co3IzsfEHrSnYnHnsQ G4vdEhsCjq8blJI24kdeanvpVN0qZqcHyiy4qccPzNroWpjUrPjcBZ4zwTIOjd48DzFe80eqjqqlYvqed1NDpnt8vIss1aK4mR30 ABO3OgCmvO0NtE7R2oa7kBwRFjgU Lcvhk1nanqmn072t5fsWqtHZNZfC9yKuqaxOcwx2UY7mDv88rWcusX2P8ApwWPcsPS0Q Zv7L STHq9zbOq6tAkaOcC4hOUB/iB3X51eo6jlqN0drfn5CJaaMlmp59vMu8itQqCE4oAxd7dfrHXXkz xgJijHQ8J9Y 87f5RXkOq6r42p2LtH9zc09XwtP7slGTuqk5Edo2Zc9aXvJbTI6volx2g1to7y4ul0u3ALKG4fTO2/CuBsFGN e5GavV6uFFSlFLe/sdSLi00DR7RFWDTLROEgg hBYEeJ3qrLVXz7yZ3CLIsOppODqRw0qihtI6osbaYVBzJqA1E014xW1wI1zxzt7CY5 Z8BWloem3arxPiPr/AjUaiuhYfL9DwrUNVuL7U/t88jPIHDITtgA5Fb0KYQh8OK4NFLg9tsHW8sLS6IBZogc9xI3rxt0XCco 4h8MccUpMZFjumXv6t1KO4ZsQviObPLhJ2b3H5E1r9I1fwL9r WRW1mn LXx3XYurntFJM3DpkKlOlxNnhP8q7E ZxWvqut11y2VLc/sZ9Wh4zY8ewwmsarGeJzbTDqnoymfI5OPgap19duT8cFgbLRUtYTaK2 1e71XjSVjbxKcNbod/8AM3X3bedJ13VrrfDDwx 5Y0 jrr57s7tVVVCgAAcgOlY8OWMnks4H4BgVo0zxwVJxyTJWjmtJY5gCjIcg1elNSqkpFdJxmmh3szK8mlqkjFjC7RcROSQDt8sVt9N tdumjKXf BOsio3PHnySNbujZaVczp7aoQn8x2HzIp pt FVKfoiGnr JbGJitPjKywxKdgMEnqMV4GDc7OfM9FbhVtlhqF1HbxEuwRBtmnWSbe2JUrg2yHDJM7cTxiOPoG9o/lSdqx3HPA80gHdRlI5tOGn7q45klAZknAGWYAd5NQ3Nk1A5hE92cWsMkoFwn/AFHb4Zq/p m6rUPwxwvV8Crb6avnf8lna6EX9a/cOP7mPIT3nmflXotH0OmrxW J/Yyr pzlxUse/n/8K/8ASLrEPZ/srcJGyJcXKGC2RduezHHcAfjite2ShDCEaKh33pvt3Z8 mqB6k9w7HEv2X05jz9CBXj9esaif5lWfzFo4qkSiyGE 03BTnFGfWH3m7vKnfJHPmycpYRcwIDTK45KcmSWhwtPdfArfyU2ooEvomGMyIwbHgRj6mkTXhLdMuGOwSY2pEXhnZxJiS1YjZgru Il1e8EXXGcBV3LE8gPHNM JOxquPmEa0nlmh0KzksdOjinx6ZiXkxy4mOSPdy91e10dHwKI1 hk6ixWWOS7Ff2ylxYW8OceluBkeCgt9QKo9as26Vr1aLPTY5ub9EZ2FikgYcxXjVJxeUbU1lYObuA3jAPjg4WBHcSAAfdvXY2Yy/MUvCecQdqtS0TWHsNUkkltYpOBiAPSBehBOxx3V6evRaXURVjTWfQZOLccwxk9T0yws9Wso72x1See2kHquvB8D6ux8Ksx6Fo3zl v6mLZ1HUVvbKCT v8k9Oz1r/aS3MnnLw/8AaBT4dF0Uf7c/UTLqWofbC n85JcGjWMLBktYy4/fccTfE5q5VpNPV8kEvoV56m6fEpMniPC4/dHyqxkTgxPav9JeiaErwWUi6jfDI9HC3qIf4n/Ab VKnakW6dHOx88I8U7QdoNQ7R35vdTm45OSIowkY7lHQVUnJyeWeh09NdUdsCtAJOBzNQLB712et/sug2EB5rAv0rxuqlutlL3KknmTJj8qqM6iDZFjahkIDyAvlhnc706eN/PZDJF5pd1b3MYibEVzH7cbc/d4VeqUHHBn3KcZZ8h 8ljtYi80gVPE12eUiEE5PhGenilvp2lmLRRFeBIwPWx3k9M/gKqTuS4jz7l HhWBfs80X9RLxL92XJI9/P60lzjL5l hPd6iNc3aKcQIfKTPyxUoRg3hy wbUa3Q9ItlSK/ab7VK6ho5OHCqCP3R08zvXtNB06jTx3R5b8/4MPU6mybcOy9C8rTKZme2X wj N/pWF17/wBeP5/yanS/nl RQJzryLNdj6VFCWeefpR0YpLFq0C q/7ObHf0Nei6RqMp1P6DKpeRkdB7Qar2fuDNpV28Bb2kwGR/NTsa3YylHscu09dyxNG1h/TPqsSAXGl2UrDmys6Z Zp6vZmWdMgu0hi9/TVrkiFbTT7CA9GYM5HxNT KxP4KC7sxmu9su0Ovq0ep6pNLC3OFMRx47uFQAffUHJsZCqEOyKNWqOCxFj0bVBotVyL3stprarrlpbKMrxhn8FBqnq7VVTKQ UsLJ7rwqihVGABgeVeQk8lTzGn3pLGIg2e1ui9Uynw2p1i8Q5jsFuNQu CRcpDyHLLEbnPl9aZUnjC7sTbLYsk/9W28JDBMuOTMSxHkSTU5xaWGxCtbGnGDVOQ5M5AJOAM1Fcsk3gfaKK0tnurjfA2XvPhV ujbHMu/l7iPiOctkTT6Dbva6PaQyrwyLGOJe4nfHzr3GmrddMYPyRjaianbKS9Swp4kznbJP6PZy9Fn4T71P5CsbrsM6XPo0aPTJYta9jOr zrxrNtj6VHzEyOL yh1Kxms7heJJVIPhVimyVc1KPkQT2vJ4jrmi3Ok38ts6M6o3quoyCOnvr12n1ELoKWS0pZWSturG7ii9NJbTJEf32QgU FlcnhSWSvbkr2p6KkhApPJSfIV3gioyfZGh0Psnd6oBI8i28RGcvzIpE70uEaFOgbjvtePbzJup9jzZLm3u1mbGcd/yFQV2e6LS0MWswbz74N7 jbs8dL0/7fdLi5uB6oPNUrz/AFLVK2e2PZFGyX9psHrJkQQy29LGIhKDFdSoT7f7QfDB nzpveCfoNTTHbe5Nhd/aSC0TDhlUDcdxFMpnhoXdX8SOPMuHureVA8cgZTuMU6yyBTjXNPDRCch3wvKqMmpSLKykKb60tDjJll6RoMmrVWyHKWf2IOuc/Yrr2S4vOO4uG9GsSlo0Q7Rkbgk9/8A7vXXqJb1KPf/AHsOhXCC2 p6Lasz20TSDDsgLDuON69/FtpZPNSSTaQ7XThVdp4DPolzwjLRASqB14TxfhVTX1fF004 xZ0k9l0WY0EHccjuK8AejHkbFQFyQyga8X0kjEW59hAccQ72Pj3U1vZwu5Ht Ytha284E9xGpiG8MOMKB0J7zT4yjFvd5fchOUlxEf1CK3u4ZIpYUERUg ryGKU7nvUorAQTXmeH2OkWs/aO5tpH4rWCRj6v7wzyr2itk6YyfdodpNNGy157I3Bl06C3MFtZRqMYHhVfk2I12LGXwVWAkgaFineq8j7vxqXbuNeDSaBoLzsl5q SlIBuqNzf/AErK1etSWyBm6rV/2VmzOwwBgDkKxpMy0NtvS2TEArmAI99ExjEsf9ZFuB94dR76ZDHZ9iUHzgjiQSwMYs8WCAOoPdRtxLDG9i1sdLsrixhlSLgBjX1o 3ZCduuDWltUs5M V04zayJJplqp9mVvBpnI GaryUY9kTjbNja2yD9lbxKoPPhGKqyUrJYG78cyY7ZWS316llGvFDEQ90/Tbknmfpmtjpmh Lam 0e/5 gi 91w3Pu 38m0Gwr15iC0AIwBUg8jtQB53PbmyuZrNtvQsQninNT8PpXguoad0aiUfLuj09FqtrUxq6Yi1kwdyuB79qqVrMkMZKnjIsZ1j2xE 3D8Nq7WszTEZ5JcMQMKcIHDwDHlimOvuJc Sq1CNZbuRJuKQCNUSHiIVmbO5x0GPlU4eBcDovga0rstoWnRs5tVaZ92YdPKnz1spxW TIOdifg4Ieq6JYyyRGAtCrOFYjx8PdXaNbZBtJ5XuXqtRbBc8kix0nTrFg8MJnm6PLyHkKXdrLbeG BVlttixJ8Fokbuwec5PRe6qjYnKXCHzvUe5EULXVE5kULUlEMjV2wSE5OM99ElhEquZFlpXZ21udKimuleO6mzJ6VDhwD7IPQ4GN jXrtP0umWmjC1c/czb9dZG57Hwdx6PfaVGyWTi8gJJMUmEdf5TyPkcUq3pUoR/ovP5/yc/FV2vM1h xGkS/c7aZdg93qfXirMn0zWSfy/csRtpX937j9to ozjhuHWzhPMRtxSkd2eQ dXdL0aa/5ZYXohU9ZWuYrL xoLGyt7G3WC1jCIN8c8nqSepr0FdUKoqEFhIz7LJWS3S7kipkAoADtQBi 1ci3OqKLUFZIUEc8pGRvuF8xnPvrzHXbKnOMcZkja6dGUYNvs xS3FvP9ncrOr7Zw6Act YrArnHcuC/uLa3ZZEDfuuM4PjXYLa8FaRMtUWC0jh4i3AoXPfire5NCJJuWSBNbA3xumYEhOFFAxgd57zVeyfh2ofBvbgZuZPRqOFQzswVFzzN Vox3MbESKyXiEk7GWQd yr5D86buWMROObJKoF9lQPIVzkjnJ1w0YInQWpKIZOgKmkcydcNd2nMkaK3Oq6pHZjeEevMf4Bz J2 NXOnaX8TqOflj3O22fApb82blRgAAYr2pgC0AFABQAUAFABQAhoAymt2lxb3F0yWs00Fw4lV4ULlGwFIIG Ngc15zquitnJyrjlP9zV0l0GoqTw1x/2U7t6OPF1BNCjerxTQuinPTLDFefs0eoqW5waNDdCT8Mk/qSY37uVV1Ii0O l2pm/ghtOMNI2BnHlUcSm8IlnahiRAdSjj6RIzHz2H4mmKOFJHc DJLC0bSGRQtdUTmTrhqe05k6C1JROZOgtSUTjZEvbjgxDCC8rnhCruST0Fc2ysmq61lsbXFJb5dkaTQNL/AFbat6XBuZSGmYcs9FHgPzPWvZaHSR0tSgu/mY q1Dusz5eRa1cKwUAFABQAUAFABQAUAFADVzbxXULwzoskTjDIwyCK5KKksM7GTi8xeGYq/wBIl0OQlZGl05jhGbdoSeh/h8e vJdU6W6v6tXY2tPq1f4X837iwwtLg9PCsaumUx05qJZwWyxR8bkBV3JNadWnjFZlwipO1yeEVFqRc3V1eD2Hfgj8VBO/xJ FVZ98S1LwxUSaFqKiRyKFqSiRbOgtTUTmQJVFyxAHXNDwu4ct4RCnvGkkFvZo8kr yqjc X5muVqy Xw6VljlCMFvseEX2haJ9iIurtlkuyMbbrGOoHj3nrXqun9OhpY5fMvUytVq3c9seIl5WkUwoAKACgAoAKACgAoAKACgAoA4ljSWN kkRXVgQysMgiuNJrDOptPKKCfswFYtpt5Jbf4bLxqPLcH51kXdGpnLdB7WX4a WMWLcUWoaXrMZIv/SzxA 1bjiU Y9r5Vkanpmqr5S3L8/8Aov06rTy XhnEOoKoEaiP1duEeqR4YrLk7IPE4j3SnymSRfL/AHZ Nd MvQh8B oNqKqP6sDzbFHx/RB HfqNJqE1y3BaRtK3dChfHv5Cn116m/iuJyUKq ZsnW2galeMHvHFsndkPJ/4j51qafodk3uvl9CtZ1CuCxUs/wC/qaPTtMtNOjK20WGb2nY5ZvM16CjT10R21rBl23zteZsm08UFABQAUAFABQAUAFABQAUAFABQAUAFACYoAYns7e5GLiCKUf4iBvrU ZQjLuiUZyj8rwRD2f0g/7uth5RgUl6TTv xfoN/FX/5v9TuLRdLibij0 1Dfe9CufpUo6emHMYpfQ5LUWyWHJ/qTVRUUKoAA6AYFN7Ce53XQCgAoAKACgAoAKACgAoAKACgD/9k=
Damn. Another link lost.

Rapserv
01-01-2014, 07:31 AM
O.K...I still believe you are overloaded.The evaporator size is far too small to do the job.
For starters, throw out your road kill as the Hawks and Dingo's have already staked their claim and will hunt you down while you sleep.
Nah seriously, check the evaporator and make sure it is fully frosted over. If it ain't completely coated in frost then there is an issue with circulation or your new thermostat isn't doing it's job, Or.... your 240 to 12/24 Volt transformer is cutting out on thermal overload due to the heat.

Just trying out options here as my Crystal ball is currently down town getting a polish :-)

I know what you mean by the size of the element compared to the chest size, however, as mentioned it has done the job for the last 2 years really well.
The reason I have defrosted to chest at regular intervals is that the element is covered in frost/ice and my concern has been that this in itself may be acting as an insulator.

Rapserv
07-01-2014, 07:30 AM
thanks to everbody for your replies.
I think that I will see about getting the unit regassed, as the chest is not cooling as it used to. I have tried 3 new identical thermostats which all operate the same and the most telling point is that the internal temp is not decreasing (currently -12.6C) and the compressor is not switching off ... obviously because it is not reaching its selected temperature. It has been running non stop now for over a week!!

Gary
03-02-2014, 04:48 PM
The most telling point is that you changed the thermostat 3 times. If it's running non stop and doesn't get down to temperature, that isn't the thermostat's fault. The thermostat just tells it when to start and stop.

Did you get this problem sorted out?

Gary
04-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Recently I had an issue with the freezer struggling to maintain it's set temperature (-15-to -18 C) and upon inspection found that the cap tube from the thermostat had failed due to metal fatigue near where it enters the chest freezer wall. I obtained an exact replacement and installed without any issues. The week prior to the thermostat replacement saw the freezer running non-stop ... no doubt as a consequence of the thermostat failure.

When the cap tube on a thermostat fails, the system stays off, not on.