PDA

View Full Version : Unreliable fridge freezers

VfM4meplse
27-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Posting here as a newbie so please be kind! Had the misfortune of buying a Hotpoint FF200E, and encountered exactly the same problem as has been well documented in this closed thread. (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?11067-Hotpoint-FF200E-Fridge-Freezer-Fault)

The freezer is still working (despite needing lots of defrosting), but the fridge gave up some time ago. I'm now in a position to replace it but am wary of buying another turkey, this model gave up after just 3 years. It would be useful to know which fridge freezer models are encountered most frequently as having problems the manufacturer won't admit responsibility for, or this that are generally unreliable so I can give them a wide berth when selecting a new one?

Thanks in advance.

install monkey
27-12-2013, 06:48 PM
hello, find it funny how new posters ask to be kind-i was like that once!;)
dont go for samsung- always issues with em
hotpoint quadria's cable goes bang for the door heaters
LG's spontaniously combust
my advise is to price match whichever you decide on, go john lewis's and get them to price match as you get a 5 yr gaurentee, remember any gadgets increase the risk of faults

VfM4meplse
27-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the swift response! My instinct was to go with JL but the meanies only give a standard warranty these days - think Samsung has a 5-year offer atm. They do offer free connection and disposal though.

I've narrowed my search down to the following, and would like a heads up as to any obvious problems with the following:
- Bosch KGN34VL20G 185X60 NoFrost fridge freezer (a reliable brand I am told)
- AEG S73400CTS1 Fridge Freezer (the one I'm leaning towards)
- Hotpoint EXFL2010G (but am wary of lining Hotpoint's pockets again)

Otherwise its a case of going with the AEG I think, and consulting price runner.

tonto33
30-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Get a Daewoo Lec, LG, Miele, Neff, Siemens, rest forget them

jonjon
30-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Got an indesit still going strong 5 years later

sedgy
31-12-2013, 04:14 PM
the best ( fridge ) I have ever had was a mains gas , with pilot light , no working parts, to wear out, and it keeps the kitchen from freezing in winter = sedgy