PDA

View Full Version : o.d fan lock up on goodman, replaced works fine but::::

maint tech
15-12-2013, 10:31 AM
i woke up the other morning and found my O.D fan was locked up on my goodman, i replaced no problems, my lights now blink, when compressor comes on. i let it heat up 24 hrs before turning unit back on. i haven't had time to check out my own unit been working too much. do you think compressor might have been hurt with no fan for 6 to 8 hrs. i haven't checked, by looks it wasn't bulged. i will have time monday to check out everthing, just wondering what others might think

monkey spanners
15-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Compressor may have been damaged running without an od fan, would think it would do less damage if the unit was in heating mode.

Assuming you did not change the capacitor when you fitted the new motor, fitting a new dual run cap for the compressor and fan would be a good idea.

Jeremy Martin
15-12-2013, 07:46 PM
If it was running in heat mode without an outdoor (evaporator) fan, it probably flooded back and could have caused bearing or valve damage. Don't know how long it would have to run without a fan before causing permanent damage.

maint tech
16-12-2013, 03:56 AM
If it was running in heat mode without an outdoor (evaporator) fan, it probably flooded back and could have caused bearing or valve damage. Don't know how long it would have to run without a fan before causing permanent damage.

yeah, thats what i was afraid of i worked 14 today, that was the first thing i was going to do in morning , check caps and contactor, fan was 16 years old, unit was in good shape, i had took care of it.we had a ice storm the other day, my wife kept ice off of it, fan went out 2 days later. it seem to be working, proballly was about 6 to 8 hours,
thanks for reply i will let you know