PDA

View Full Version : R-22 Replacement on a Fishing Vessel

TScott
15-12-2013, 03:35 AM
Hello,

I work as a engineer on a Pollok factory trawler (fishing vessel) in Alaska, US. We are looking at what our options are for replacement of our flooded R-22 plant. The Alaska Pollok fleet that have removed R-22 from their vessels have all switched to ammonia. The owner of the vessel I work on does not want to put a ammonia plant on the boat. I am interested to know of any conversions or new instillations that people have done, specific to DNV classed vessels if possible. With Ammonia off the table it seems we are limited to R-507 or a co2 cascade of some sort but I have no experience with either. I would also be interested to know if anyone has had success in a non flooded brine instillation for a horizontal plate freezer plant. Our target is around 200 metric tons per day capacity.

Thanks

Jake

chemi-cool
15-12-2013, 06:02 PM
R-507 would be my choice.
You will have a lot of work converting the system but only compressor and TXV need to be changed.
R-507 require higher discharge pressure, about 270-280 psi to maintain good oil return, use oil traps and if compressor is above evaporator, you can add some 2% propane to help carry the oil back.